VBAC
Options

Benefits of Doula/Midwife?

DH and I are planning on TTC #2 in late winter and I am serisouly praying for a VBAC. My OB is supportive of a VBAC as well as the birthing center. I have been trying to get in contact with my local ICAN director and am hoping to start going to some meeting and get some great advice.

I have seen many women on this board suggest a midwife, I am just curious as to what benefits a midwife could offer for a VBAC delivery. DD was delivered via emergency c/s due to cord issues and she would have been delivered vaginally if it weren't for her being tangled in the cord. Thanks for your input!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Benefits of Doula/Midwife?

• Options

I used a midwife for both of my pregnancies simply because I felt more comfortable with the care.  CNM's (that is what I used) take upwards of 45 minutes to an hour with you at each appointment, answered my phone calls and e-mails quickly between appointments, was more of a friend going through this with me rather than a doctor doing things to me.  Not saying that all midwives are like that and that all doctors are bad, but even the doctor I interviewed (who was super nice and honest) said that it is a business for them and they need to get patients in and out of the office quickly.

My midwife really listened and got to know me, my husband, and my children.  She was extremely supportive of my birth plan and went to bat for me to get my VBAC.  (Obviously, an OB/GYN was called in for my c/s the first time around).  I just wanted to have more power over my care and decisions and midwives are generally better about that than doctors.  My MW let DH catch DD when she was born too, which was really nice.

I get all my well-woman care from my MW also.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Options

For a healthy pregnancy, midwife care usually leads to fewer interventions, fewer cesareans, lower morbidity and equally good outcomes when compared to OB care.  Midwives can be a really great choice for VBAC moms.  Of course these are generalizations and there are good and bad in every bunch.  I chose an OB for my VBAC because his philosophy on birth was most in line with mine, so don't let a label stop you from finding a truly great practitioner.

You could also look for a family practice physician who does deliveries. 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Just to clarify.... are you asking about using a midwife as a doula?  (I think it's called a montrice??).  Because it sounded like you were comfortable with your OB and their views on VBACs, but asking about using a doula or a midwife as a doula?

I'd say a pretty good percentage of people on this board trying for VBACs use a doula, simply because having someone there to help you through labor is an emotional and physical support and increases your chances of having a successful VBAC.  Plus, on a personal note, I have a level of distrust in the medical profession... and would like to stay as far away from any intervention as I can.  With that said, I know I'll need support to use the right positions and face labor without pain meds to get past the hurdles I encountered last time.  That's why I hired a doula!

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I'm a bit confused too, since doulas and midwifes are totally different things. A person can do both things, but the roles are different.

A doula is a support person, and not a medical professional. They should not be giving medical advice or doing any direct assistance with the delivery. They're there to comfort and advocate for the mother. The benefit is having another person there to help comfort and advocate for you, if you feel you need that.

A midwife would be your care provider and the one to deliver your baby, instead of your OB. As iris said, there are good and bad OBs and good and bad midwives. If you're happy with your OB, there's no real reason to change to a midwife just so you can say you went with a midwife. People on here will suggest looking into midwives because many women feel they have no other options besides their local OB(s), and they aren't comfortable there. Looking into midwives is one other option.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagebugabean:

I'm a bit confused too, since doulas and midwifes are totally different things. A person can do both things, but the roles are different.

A doula is a support person, and not a medical professional. They should not be giving medical advice or doing any direct assistance with the delivery. They're there to comfort and advocate for the mother. The benefit is having another person there to help comfort and advocate for you, if you feel you need that.

A midwife would be your care provider and the one to deliver your baby, instead of your OB. As iris said, there are good and bad OBs and good and bad midwives. If you're happy with your OB, there's no real reason to change to a midwife just so you can say you went with a midwife. People on here will suggest looking into midwives because many women feel they have no other options besides their local OB(s), and they aren't comfortable there. Looking into midwives is one other option.

I'm sorry, I should have explained a bit better. You answered my question perfectly, I pretty much wanted to know the benefits of both a midwife and doula. I really love my OB and he supports a VBAC so I would like to stay with him, I was just wondering why so many recommend a midwife.

I think a doula would be great for me, last time I had terrible back labor and NO ONE told me that I should be up and moving, not laying on my back. I think I need someone there telling me what positions would best work for my situation.

Thanks for your input!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"