Single Parents
Options

I don't understand

I just don't understand how a father can disappear from a child's life for 3 1/2 months without a word or any support and then all of a sudden sue for custody and placement.  I have been the sole parent to my daughter and she doesn't need someone coming in and out of her life whenever they choose.  I really hope a judge sees through this attempt of 50/50 placement as a way out of child support and not because he cares about his daughter.  I wonder if he has figured out if he gets 50/50 I will have to pay him child support because I make more then him.  I can't believe it works that way in my state seems so wrong!!  He has a gambling and drinking problem which makes me not trust him at all.  Not to mention all the lies and manipulation he tried on me when I was pregnant.  Can you blame me with not feeling comfortable letting him just take her?  From what people are telling me it is not likely he will get 50/50 because he lives a hour and a half away and she is only 4 months old.  I hope that is right.  I have no problem with him having supervised visitation but I can't let him take her half the time.  She needs a stable home life right now.  I am seeking an attorney but I'm afraid of how I am going to pay for it all.  But I will beg/borrow or do whatever I need to in order to protect my daughter and give her the best life I can.  Thanks for listening.

Re: I don't understand

• Options

Some lawyers will take payments from when you first retain them up until your hearing.  I know that is what mine did. 

• Options
    This is my fear. I have full custody during this separation period and DB is not involved other than 2 hour visits every 8 weeks or so. TERRIFIED that when we get to divorce time, I will discover that he now wants the baby or the Judge will change our custody and I will lose my son 50% of the time..I would truly die inside.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Good luck!

Try to get some proof on the gambling and drinking if you can. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I agree that you need to have documented proof of the drinking and gambling problems.  Judges see all sorts of accusations thrown around during divorce and custody battles, so without evidence it will be very hard to prove anything.  Also, keep in mind that supervised visitation if also very difficult to have ordered.  The parent would have to be a danger to the child or unfit in some way for this to be granted.  I doubt he will be granted 50/50, especially due to your LO's age, but you need to be prepared for the reality that he may be granted some significant visitation...unsupervised.  I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but you need to be prepared for an outcome you may not prefer.

Document the time he has been out of your LO's life so that you have that information available in court.  Contact some lawyers, set up some free consultations, and then retain one of them.  Lawyers are expensive, but it will be the best money you've ever spent.  Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagekatie_cj@hotmail.com:

Good luck!

Try to get some proof on the gambling and drinking if you can. 

This.  also documenting the fact that he hasn't been involved for three and a half months.  Have you consulted with an attorney?  A lot of times you can see them for a smaller initial fee just to get advice.

Unfortunately a lot of times it's about the power struggle and/or money, and not LO.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"