October 2011 Moms

Would this make you mad, or am I just a b!tch? *updated*

So in order to take FMLA leave, my company has a 3 page form that they require your healthcare provider to fill out containing medical information about you and the reason for needing to take leave. Standard bureaucratic sh!t. Whatever.

So I drop it off at my doctor's office at my last appointment, and they say I can come back in a week and pick it up.  No problem.  I go in this morning to collect the paperwork, and as the receptionist is handing the papers over to me, says "that'll be $15."  I said "excuse me? there's a charge for this?" And she replies, "yes, we charge $15 to fill out forms."

I told her, "but I didn't have a choice in asking you to fill out these forms - they were required to be filled out by my doctor's office (aka, I'm not an idiot who can't figure out how to fill them out herself or is too lazy to do it herself)."  The receptionist told me it didn't matter, that they have a standard fee they charge for filling out any type of paperwork for patients.

I was SO PISSED. I hadn't even brought my wallet in with me (never thinking I would have needed it for just picking up some papers!), and I slammed down my sunglasses and said I would be right back, came back in, whipped out my debit card, and said "just another way to nickle and dime patients, huh?"  There were about 3 people behind the desk looking at me, and I don't even care. Jackasses.  I plan on saying something to my doctor directly at my next appointment about her office's policy, but did I overreact to the situation? Is this standard practice? I mean, I have to fill out some forms for my job, but guess what, it's part of MY JOB and I certainly don't charge for it.

ETA - OHANDPLUSALSO, they didn't even fill out the freaking form correctly - it has the wrong due date listed! Not even CLOSE to my actual due date!!! $)(*&%$)&%$*($#

July 20th, 2012: Never forget the day the fb douchebags tried so hard, but ultimately failed. Viva la October 2011! Yeah, I called you douchebags.

BFP 1/18/11, EDD 10/1/11. Born at 37w5d on 9/15/11. AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

***BFP Chart***

"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning.

Re: Would this make you mad, or am I just a b!tch? *updated*

• Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have heard of this practice. That being said, it should be stated up-front and not at pick-up. And no, you're not a b!tch.
  • Loading the player...
  • Dude. We have a $50 charge for any paperwork at my doctor's office. I almost sh*t a brick when we went through our pregnancy packet and found that tidbit of information tucked away. It's a ridiculous fee that is pure profit as the FMLA forms literally take 2 minutes to fill out. I don't think you overreacted. If enough people respond negatively they may rethink their policy.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would be pissed too but I know that when I went to my first prenatal visit they told me there was a fee to fill out FMLA forms. I think it might be a standard thing. It sucks that they did not tell you that before though.
    I heart Ben!!
    October 11, 2008
    imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Trusty Gal blog|Trusty Tales
  • i think it is the norm to charge for processing paperwork.  i don't know if i would have reacted the same way to the receptionist, but i would ask my Dr. directly the next time i saw her.

and you should have been told about the $ fee before you were to pick it up.

photo IMG_3757_zps3e266e57.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker "Sometimes I am two people. Johnny is the nice one. Cash causes all the trouble. They fight." - Johnny Cash
  • I have never heard of this! My poor OB has had to fill out two sets of paperwork - one for my office, one for the disability insurance company - and it's always been no big deal. I would have been pissed at the fee alone, much less it being dropped on you at the last moment. I know insurance costs and everything are eating up physician profits, but man. Charging for this kind of stuff just seems silly.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oh, I have no idea if my office charges for this. I guess I'll be finding out soon. It's stupid that they charge for this. I would have been mad too, not just about the fee, but about it being dropped on you at the last minute.
    imageimage
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    ~ Winston Churchill
  • imagecrystalbaby:
    I remember awhile back some ladies posted that they had the same thing happen to them at their dr's office. My dr's office doesn't charge me, but I would definitely be pissed if they did.

This for me too.  If it's any consolation, my doctor's office stops charging co-pays (or at least they say they do) after the 1st trimester because you're expected to come back so often, yet each time I go back without my checkbook there's some sort of "administrative fee" or "lab fee" that is not considered my copay.  I get irate every single time. 

• As far as I know it's standard practice for most offices. Technically the doctor has to take time out of their day to go through the paperwork and fill out the form so I can understand the reason behind the charge and $15 isn't that much. However, they should have told you before you came to pick them up, and if you didn't have an outstanding balance they should have just told you to pay next time you came in, or added it on at the end when you pay your global billing co-pay. You could have been nicer but they could have been more informative, although most offices do put it in their intial paperwork you sign so they technically are informing you then.

ETA: As far as something being "your job" you get paid an hourly wage/salary, your doctor does not. They bill per service, so they are billing you for the service of having to get your file out, go through it, fill out the papers and return them to their office staff.

• doesnt surprise me. My pediatricians office charged $20.00 to print off and mail me DS's records which cost them just over a dollar to mail to my house. I think its another way to make a buck
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • this is such bullsh*t...an employee of mine just had heart surgery and he told me his doctors office charged him $15 to fill out the FMLA forms too and I couldnt believe it! I think its such a scam..I have to fill out the first several pages and it takes like 5 minutes so the 3 pages the doctor has to fill out shouldnt take that much longer and to charge for it is just crappy...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think that when you dropped the paperwork off the receptionist should have made it clear that there would be a $15 charge for it.  At least that way you knew ahead of time and weren't blindsided by it like you were.  The first OB I was going to actually charged $5 a page for me to get a copy of my records.  That added up really quickly!
  • All doctor offices that I know of charge for paperwork - heck, they charge you to write you a note for work!   And this is in the CDN system where our healthcare is supposed to be covered!  Please keep in mind that the receptionist is only the messenger - remember the ol' saying "Don't shoot the messenger"? 

"God is faithful, and he will not let you be tested beyond your strength, but with the testing he will also provide the way out so that you may be able to endure it" 1 Corinthians 10:13
  • Doctors charge rediculous amounts for normal things--thats just the way of the world and not decided by the receptionist so I don't think I would have taken up much issue with it. Luckily I have great insurance so my out of pocket is nil for maternity care but I saw the bill for my last OB visit with a patient due of $0 thank god and laughed...I almost framed it. A 20 minute visit was $292!

Some of the gems were

$43 for temperature analysis (they scanned my forehead)

$69 for hypertension screening (yep they did slap a blood pressure cuff on me)

$52 for repiratory analysis (I took a deep breath, they held a stethoscope)

• I would have been flabbergasted. I bet if you would have felt like you were properly informed, you attitude would have been different, but to hear that out of the blue, yeah, I would have been pissed too.

About this paperwork that is getting filled out, how much detail is there? I'm a real stickler for HIPPA, and I would be hesitant to give my job anything that has to do with my health. I'm guessing the form is pretty vague?

BFP 11/2/10! First Dr's appt 11/30/10, shows Blighted Ovum measuring~ 5.9w @ 7w5d Natural Miscarraige 12/10/10 TTA unitl Feb, waiting BARE minimum before hopping back in the saddle So ready to try again, but I will never forget my first baby. BFP#2 02/06/11!!!! *stick baby, stick!* Team Green turn Team PINK 10/09/11 BFP #3 02/23/13...SURPRISE! Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • It sucks, but it is the way things are now. A lot of doctors here charge extra to write a prescription or when you make after hours calls.
  • A little bit of both. I think it is silly that they charge $15 to fill out a form but it isn't the receptionist's fault. That being said, they should have told you up front when you dropped the form off with them.
  • imagecfemiani:
    I think that when you dropped the paperwork off the receptionist should have made it clear that there would be a $15 charge for it.  At least that way you knew ahead of time and weren't blindsided by it like you were.  The first OB I was going to actually charged $5 a page for me to get a copy of my records.  That added up really quickly!

I completely agree with this. They should have told you before, if it wasn't in their initial paperwork. My office charges for paperwork as well.

• Good point about not being told up-front - at least set the expectation correctly! I would have not been blindsided like I was this morning when they asked me to fork over $15 for a form that literally probably took 10 minutes to fill out.  I'll mention that to my doctor as well.

What a bunch of crap - as if I'm not paying enough money for office visits and everything else, just one more thing to profit from. 

July 20th, 2012: Never forget the day the fb douchebags tried so hard, but ultimately failed. Viva la October 2011! Yeah, I called you douchebags.

BFP 1/18/11, EDD 10/1/11. Born at 37w5d on 9/15/11. AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

***BFP Chart***

"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning.

• imageFianschneid:
    A little bit of both. I think it is silly that they charge $15 to fill out a form but it isn't the receptionist's fault. That being said, they should have told you up front when you dropped the form off with them.

This.  My OB charges $22 per form, and they told me the fees when I dropped off the forms.  (I needed to have them complete a STD and a FMLA form, so it was $44.)  It sucks, but I do think it's pretty standard.

My BFP Chart

Becoming a better role model for my daughter, one day at a time

• imageHappyAardvark:

Good point about not being told up-front - at least set the expectation correctly! I would have not been blindsided like I was this morning when they asked me to fork over $15 for a form that literally probably took 10 minutes to fill out.  I'll mention that to my doctor as well.

What a bunch of crap - as if I'm not paying enough money for office visits and everything else, just one more thing to profit from. 

I just think it's crappy she made you truck it out to your car to get your wallet. I know at my OB and E's pedi that if I forget to bring my flex spending card they just have me pay next time since they know I'll be back, and these are co-pays they will have to wait several months to a year to get back.

• Ridiculous. Seriously.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • imagejpeazybreezy:

I would have been flabbergasted. I bet if you would have felt like you were properly informed, you attitude would have been different, but to hear that out of the blue, yeah, I would have been pissed too.

About this paperwork that is getting filled out, how much detail is there? I'm a real stickler for HIPPA, and I would be hesitant to give my job anything that has to do with my health. I'm guessing the form is pretty vague?

A lot of employers use the US Dept of Labor Form WH-380-E (https://www.dol.gov/whd/forms/WH-380-E.pdf). It's pretty generalized to focus on how your condition impacts or could impact your job, but there is a space for your doctor to include symptoms, diagnosis, treatment, etc. My OB's office just writes patient is pregnant and due on or around X.

I don't believe HIPAA is applicable in our case because anyone and everyone can physically see for themselves we're pregnant. Where it might get a little sticky with HIPAA is if your doctor is too specific (i.e. Out on bedrest due to incompetent cervix or high blood pressure) or if the employee is dealing with another medical issue not related to pregnancy.

Believe me, I totally understand the concern: I am a supervisor so I have to be marginally trained in HIPAA and FMLA, plus had to *** out my boss's secretary because she processes our FMLA requests and she congratulated me on my pregnancy after I returned to work from being put on bed rest where I lost the baby.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My office charges $25 for forms, which is really dumb, but I guess I was expecting it after reading something on here about the charges.  What annoyed me more was them asking when I wanted to come back to pick them up.  There was not much to them so I had hoped someone could fill them out while I saw the doctor.  But no, I had to come back a few days later to pick them back up.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Here (in Canada) it seems to be quite normal to charge anywhere between $15 and $50 for filling out forms, writing sick notes etc - depending on what it is and how mucch time it takes to do it, I guess.

I am always stumbling over this, since it is not normal in Germany, where I am from.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageA Pregnant Pause:

Dude. We have a $50 charge for any paperwork at my doctor's office. I almost sh*t a brick when we went through our pregnancy packet and found that tidbit of information tucked away. It's a ridiculous fee that is pure profit as the FMLA forms literally take 2 minutes to fill out. I don't think you overreacted. If enough people respond negatively they may rethink their policy.

Ummm... what??  $50.00?!?!?!?!?!   

• Mine charges $25 for the FMLA form, but the lady told me that when I gave her the form to begin with and told me I could choose to pay then or when I picked it up.

My guess is that policy was on your original paperwork somewhere that you signed, but I agree, she still should have reminded you when you gave her the paperwork.

Honeymooning image
  • It seems to be standard practice, but they should have informed you LONG before you turned in your papers so that you would be prepared. It stinks to be informed of charges on the fly like that. I don't think you are a betch. I would have been irritated and probably expressed my dissatisfaction verbally as well. That is BS they didn't tell you beforehand.
  • It would have made me mad but I probably wouldn't have acted that way in front of the receptionist - they can't help it that the office they work for has stupid policies. I completely understand why you were frustrated but you accomplished nothing by throwing a tantrum in front of an office clerk. I'm not trying to be mean, but I work in an office that has a lot of stupid policies and we deal with a lot of angry people so I see it from another perspective.
    Married 5/31/08 * TTC#1 9/09 - 2/11
    after anovulatory diagnosis and TTC for 1 1/2yrs with several medicated cycles and one chemical pregnancy, we have our first bundle of joy!
    IT'S A GIRL!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    #2 EDD 2/5/13 dx with anti-BIG E antibody, seeing a MFM
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    VOTE on my Name List
    I don't take one single minute for granted.
  • You are completely overreacting.  It's not worth saying anything to your doctor...it just makes you look like a crazy pregnant lady.

Now, if they made you pay again when you have to get them to correct the error?  Then you're totally justified to complain!

TTC #1 since 02/2010, BFP on 1/24/11, EDD 10/5/11

2011 Boston Marathon (4/18/11) @ 16 weeks
    Soldier Field 10 Miler (5/28/11) @ 22 weeks

BFP Chart @ Cycle #11
  • My doctors' office does, and they have signs up informing patients of this. I wouldn't be happy to have it sprung on me.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Keshias Birthday 2012 046edit
  • This is standard in many offices. To give a different perspective, I am a physician and aside from seeing patients in clinic all day, answering phone calls, etc., I often have a ton of forms to fill out for my patients that I have to complete in the evenings after my clinic day ends.  I know that some forms are very short, but the sheer volume of forms to fill adds up.  However, they should have let you know ahead of time that there was a charge.
  • imageweddingbells2010:

This for me too.  If it's any consolation, my doctor's office stops charging co-pays (or at least they say they do) after the 1st trimester because you're expected to come back so often, yet each time I go back without my checkbook there's some sort of "administrative fee" or "lab fee" that is not considered my copay.  I get irate every single time. 

I'd be interested to know how your doctor's office is able to waive co-pays without committing insurance fraud... 

• imageUofMWolverines:
    imageweddingbells2010:

I'd be interested to know how your doctor's office is able to waive co-pays without committing insurance fraud... 

I don't have co-pays, but that's because my insurance doesn't charge co-pays for regular OB appts. 

• imageLauriJean_2009:
    imageUofMWolverines:
    imageweddingbells2010:

I don't have co-pays, but that's because my insurance doesn't charge co-pays for regular OB appts. 

This for me too.

My BFP Chart

Becoming a better role model for my daughter, one day at a time

• imageUofMWolverines:
    imageweddingbells2010:

Isn't it up to the doctors office if they collect their own fees? How is that insurance fraud?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"