February 2012 Moms
Options

What do you think? (Stolen from Oct 11')

A doll that your child can breastfeed?  Indifferent I am ALL for breastfeeding but there has to be a line somewhere.

https://www.newparent.com/blogs/new-parent-report/breastfeeding-doll-coming/

The second I saw this I thought, "What's next, circumsize the baby's penis??"

Sheesh, kids are already growing up too fast, why add to that??

Our angel is in heaven 12/12/08
BFP 2/25/09
HCG 3/6=518 3/8=1230
1st Ultrasound 3/18 FHR=103
2nd U/S 3/20 FHR=118!!
3rd U/S 4/1 FHR=169 :)
BIG U/S 5/22=IT'S A BOY! FHR-148
DS Born October 30, 2009
BFP 5/27/11 Stick baby, stick!
HCG 5/31=140 P=9 HCG 6/2=292 P=11
1ST Ultrasound 6/15 FHR=109!!
U/S 8/18=IT'S A BOY! FHR-141 :)
DS Born January 20, 2012
BFP 5/27/13 EDD 2-5-14
U/S 8/17 FRH-141 It's a boy!!

Re: What do you think? (Stolen from Oct 11')

• Options
    I'm gonna throw my two cents in here and say that it's popular overseas because people don't question breastfeeding as much as we do. However, since most of our baby dolls come with bottles--why not a baby with the purpose of breastfeeding? I don't think it's making them grow up quicker, but teaching them that breastfeeding is natural. However, $90 is a bit pricey...and the sensors are a bit scary...

BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagepinkshades05:
    I'm gonna throw my two cents in here and say that it's popular overseas because people don't question breastfeeding as much as we do. However, since most of our babies come with bottles--why not a baby with the purpose of breastfeeding? However, $90 is a bit pricey...

Very true about the bottle thing. I think it's inappropriate but I was also raised to leave the room/use a cover to breastfeed. I forget how comfortable people are overseas about it. :-)

BFP 2/25/09
    HCG 3/6=518 3/8=1230
    2nd U/S 3/20 FHR=118!!
    DS Born October 30, 2009
    DS Born January 20, 2012
    BFP 5/27/13 EDD 2-5-14

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Agree with pp about why it might be more popular in Europe vs. USA...but still, I don't believe I'd buy one for my child. I can see how it's meant to push the idea that breastfeeding is normal, whereas most doll toys are feed via bottle. However, it is not normal for a young girl to breastfeed a real baby, while it is quite realistic she helps mom feed the baby with a bottle now and then.

Do you want your young daughter wearing a halter top that is meant to mimic having breasts at 5, 6, 7, 8 years old? I don't think young girls should be pushed to desiring breasts any earlier than they already are with the constant influences of tv and other sources.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My sister pretended all the time with her dolls.  That's fine.  Pretending comes form self and self-expression.  But specifically a doll for it?  Too far.  The breast obsession is completely ridiculous and out of control. 
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Cloth Diapers at Nurtured Family
  • Options
    I wouldn't buy one.  FWIW, I won't buy one that pees or poops either!  My DD loves dolls.  I have seen friends' daughters pretend to BF their dolls because they have seen their moms do it.  I think that is totally natural.  I don't think they need a doll to pretend that way.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    If we give little girls bottles, we might as well give them breasts. Yes, it's more realistic for a little girl to feed a real baby with a bottle, but when that little girl is pretending with the doll, she's pretending SHE'S the mom, not that she's helping with someone else's baby.

When I was little, I used to pretend breastfeed all the time. Granted I didn't have a fancy doll to do it, but I turned out just fine. I wouldn't buy this for my daughter (too expensive), but I wouldn't discourage her if she decided to pretend like that. Just my two cents.
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • Options

imagekleMcK:
    If we give little girls bottles, we might as well give them breasts. Yes, it's more realistic for a little girl to feed a real baby with a bottle, but when that little girl is pretending with the doll, she's pretending SHE'S the mom, not that she's helping with someone else's baby.

When I was little, I used to pretend breastfeed all the time. Granted I didn't have a fancy doll to do it, but I turned out just fine. I wouldn't buy this for my daughter (too expensive), but I wouldn't discourage her if she decided to pretend like that. Just my two cents.

I think you worded it correctly. I don't think a specific doll is needed to pretend to breastfeed, but the idea behind it is what's important.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagepinkshades05:

imagekleMcK:

I think you worded it correctly. I don't think a specific doll is needed to pretend to breastfeed, but the idea behind it is what's important.

If any of my children pretended to breastfeed (boy or girl) I would never tell them it is wrong or make them feel embarrassed. I would explain to my sons that that is how mommy fed him and his brother when they were little and I am sure have a long conversation about it. But--it is not something that needs to be forced by any means. Great points ladies!!

BFP 2/25/09
    HCG 3/6=518 3/8=1230
    2nd U/S 3/20 FHR=118!!
    DS Born October 30, 2009
    DS Born January 20, 2012
    BFP 5/27/13 EDD 2-5-14

• Options

::sigh:: This is posted every couple of months and I don't see what the big deal is.  BF is NATURAL.  If you BF and have a toddler she (or even he) is most likely going to to mimic you.  There is nothing wrong with that.  I wish more young children realized that babies don't always get their milk from tiny plastic bottles.

The only reason that people have a problem with this is because society has taught you to view boobs as sexual....and while they can be sexual, their primary purpose is food for the baby. 

I wouldn't buy this baby just for the fact that Lily already has plenty of dolls that she can pretend to BF and doesn't need a special one.  

Edit-  I hardly ever went into the other room and covered up with Lily (she didn't want a blanket over her head while she ate) and don't plan to do so with this one.  There is nothing wrong with BF...people need to get over themselves.  

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• Options

Not nearly as creepy as the birthing dolll... Anyone see that recent post over on STFUparents??

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I don't know how to quote on my iPhone but agree completely with pinksweetp. I have a photo of my daughter at 2ish and my niece at the same age breastfeeding their baby dolls- shirts UP - cuz that's how Mommy does it. Adorable. Breasts aren't for men- they're for babies. And comparing nursing to circumcision is ABSURD! One is what nature intended and one is cutting off what nature intended.
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options

Interesting.

Kids mimic what they see.  If mom/family breastfeeds that's probably what they'll do.  If mom/family bottle feeds that's what they'll do.  Either way is totally fine.

However, the whole sensor so the baby suckles thing. . . I don't see the need for that.  (Or willing to pay for it.)  What happened to kids using their imagination?  

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    No, my step daughter will not be having this toy at our house... Or this baby. I think it is fine if the child gets the idea to pretend to BF on its own from watching mommy, but they can pretend. I don't, nor will I ever think BF is a public display. I intend to BF my child. Yes, breast were intended for feeding children in private and not just whipping one out anywhere. If you need to feed out in public pump and pack! Otherwise use formula until you can get home. I don't look down on others who think it's okay to breast feed in public because that is their body... I just don't want all the other mommies, daddies, and children to know what I look like doing it and I am sure my DH appreciates this. Also, I too feel that children are pressured too soon to mature already. We have way too many teen pregnancies as is. I just hope this toy is quickly removed from the shelves or is a special order item. I can't see it making it here.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"