Houston Babies

When to start decorating nursery? Nesting?

I will be 24 weeks this Sunday. I have started building my registry but was wondering when you gals actually started physically decorating the nursery vs. simply browsing online for ideas. I don't want to head into this too early and jinx anything (at my 20 week ultrasound Dr said she was SGA (Small for Gestational Age) and only in the 10th-percentile, there's a small concern, but nothing alarming since Asians are known to typically have smaller babies at birth (husband and I were both under 6 lbs)....plus her movements/kicks are getting stronger and more frequent so I -know- she's growing. I also don't want to wait too long and get too big to give the nursery all the details I am set on doing either! When did y'all buy the big items like cribs and furniture? After or before the baby shower? And at what week in your pregnancies did "nesting" start? Because I think I'm getting early signs of it.

Re: When to start decorating nursery? Nesting?

• I never "nested" but I delivered 5 weeks early.

We ordered our furniture  at about 23 weeks.  It could take a couple of months depending on what you pick.

We ordered the bedding (custom made) at about 22 weeks and it arrived about 6 weeks later

We didnt wait on the shower for these things since our parents had already offered to buy certain things.  

Once we ordered the furniture and bedding, I started getting little things here and there along the way but didnt really buy much else until after the shower.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Usually stuff takes about 6-8 weeks to come in, so make sure to take that into consideration - especially if you need something like bedding in order to pick out paint colors, etc.  We just went and looked at furniture a few weekends ago, so I was probably around 25 weeks.  We would have bought that day, but we couldn't decide, so we haven't yet.  :-(  Also - haven't found a bedding that I am in love with, yet, otherwise, we would have gotten that already, too (parents offered to buy). 

I think I registered for #1 right around 20 weeks as soon as we found out the sex b/c DH's work was having an (early) shower for us at that time.  It seemed very surreal to be registering that early, but it was good to have a least a list started, then we tweaked it online as necessary as the date got closer.

Even with #2, I created a registry, but I don't plan on having showers - it's more just a running list of things, so we know of what we still need to get - and if ppl happen to check it and get us something, than we will be very grateful, but I am not expecting it or sending it out to anyone.

• Loading the player...
  • I never nested and I delivered at 41 weeks. I am very task oriented and organized; especially at work, but for some reason with the baby I was overwhelmed and procrastinated. I assembled the cubbies for his room when I was 8 weeks pregnant and helped DH pain the room.

We did order the furniture in November for a March delivery (I can't remember how many weeks I was).

Because I procrastinated I didn't finish decorating DS's room until he was a few months old, but he stayed in our room for the first 4 months, so it didn't bother me.

If we have another baby I plan on doing things sooner since we will have DS to think about too.

I say do things when you feel ready. Good luck!

Dx: PCOS and short luteal phase
    18 cycles (3 with our RE) - Metformin + Clomid + HCG booster did the trick!
    BFP #1 6/22/09 EDD: 3/2/10 DS born: 3/8/10

TTC #2 since Dec 2011
    BFP #2 7/8/12 EDD: 3/18/12 M/C @ 9w1d: 8/16/12

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"