Ohio Babies
Options

Childbirth Classes

TwiMomTwiMom member
edited July 2021 in Ohio Babies
Just looking for some info about childbirth classes available in Columbus!  My doc recommended a no frills approach with a mom and pop type place that does 1 class for 4 hours and that's it.  No chit chat, meet & greets or practicing anything.  I am delivering at Riverside and they had a few choices that seemed pretty good (2 sessions back to back or a 4 week course).  Anyone take classes at Riverside?  Somewhere else?  Tell me your experiences!  Thanks!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: Childbirth Classes

• Options

We delivered at Riverside.  Our doctor suggested their epidural class, since most likely I would get one.  Which I did, but Riverside doesn't offer all of the epidurals that are mentioned in the class.  A co-worker of mine did the 4-6 week course and was happy they took it, but afterward said it was almost a waste of time.  I would try to find a class that fits what you and your mate are looking for.  Epidurals, C-section info, natural, etc.

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

We are just wrapping up our classes that we're taking at Women's Physicians in the McConnel Hart Building just next to Riverside Hospital.  It's with Pat Rice - she's incredible has over 36 years of experience and is a Lamaze Certified Childbirth Education with Lamaze International Fellow in the American College of Childbirth Educators, Board Certified Lactation Consultant. 

My husband and I have learned so much and met other couples at about the same stage as us. I'd recommend her classes to everyone. 

She can be reached at 614-876-6123.

Best of Luck!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We had planed on taking the class at Riverside but for one reason or another we never did, and in all honesty, after my L&D I never felt like I missed out on something very important, now I'm actually glad I didn't spend the $95! And if you post this at the 3rd tri board you'll get a lot of replies from second plus time moms that would agree with me that it's a waste of time and money. But my biggest advise to you: take the breastfeeding class!!!! (if you plan on BFing that is).
  • Options
    I did the one-day class at Dublin. I did kind of feel like it was a waste of time and money. I closed my eyes for all the videos we had to watch (there were like 5 of them and I swear they were all made prior to 1990) and felt really stupid during all the cuddling and breathing exercise business. I didn't use any of that. However, I do think my husband got a muuuuch better understanding of what was going to go down. So it may have been worth it for that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I am planning on delivery at Riverside as well but opted not to take any of the classes they offer.  My husband works until 7pm week days so that only left us with the full day class they offer occasionally on Saturdays.  I personally felt that wasn't enough to really understand what is going on and kept thinking what if I have questions I think of after I get home?

We've personally decided on the Bradley method.  Granted its 12 weeks long but focuses on nutrition, exercise, and is designed for natural childbirth.  We're going to be starting the class here in a few days but after doing extensive research into the different methods my husband and I felt this was best.  We don't have any friends with kids so we want to be fully prepared as we won't have anyone to talk to about their experiences.

~Catie I.~ Baby due December 11, 2011!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"