Postpartum Depression

If you work full-time and have PPD...

...how do you manage your PPD? In a perfect world I'd be on meds and in therapy, but as it is now I am doing neither. Is it worth doing meds without therapy? Thus far, I haven't been able to find a therapist I can see on the weekends. (I had one I saw a couple of times, but I had to take time off work to do it and I just can't do that on a regular basis.)

I'm at a loss as to what to do. But my spouse and kids deserve better than the "me" I am right now, so doing nothing is probably not an option any more.

Also, BTW, would it still be considered PPD this far post-partum? Should I be approaching this through my OB or someone else?

I know sometimes people are hesitant to post here, so if you want to weigh in but not post, feel free to PM me instead (I'll check my PMs periodically). Thanks!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: If you work full-time and have PPD...

• Mine has gone from PPD to depression. I have just started seeing a counselor and it's through my work so they allow me to count the time since my current health affects my work. Is it possible for you to take an hour or so once a week or every other week (I go every other week) to go see a counselor? In my opinion, it is very hard to talk to someone about what I am feeling but it's nice to get a neutral party involved.

Also, I'm not sure why you are not taking any meds but I have found that the medication takes some "edge" off of the feelings that I have and makes it easier for me to deal with my feelings. If you want to, I would talk to your doctor about different medications that might be available to you.

Good Luck with everything and know that you are not alone.

DD - Juliana Joan - Born October 27, 2010 - My Little Princess

BFP 1/14/13 - M/C 1/22/13 @ 5 weeks

BFP 3/20/13 - EDD 11/11/13

BabyFetus Ticker

• I am currently on medication without therapy.  I have a milder case of PPA, so it is definately working for me - I'm not 100%, but it does help. 

As for timing, I don't have a good answer.  If you are like me, and more comfortable with your OB (than your primary care dr),  make an appointment with him/her to discuss it.  He/She should be a great place to start.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • Loading the player...
  • imagebmqcmg:

Also, I'm not sure why you are not taking any meds but I have found that the medication takes some "edge" off of the feelings that I have and makes it easier for me to deal with my feelings. If you want to, I would talk to your doctor about different medications that might be available to you.

I'm not on meds because when I did finally get the courage to talk to my OB (who gave me a Zoloft script), I was still BFing a lot (I am still now, but much less) and didn't want to take meds while BFing. I never filled the script and I'm pretty sure it's expired by now. Another reason I didn't fill it is that my "issues" come and go-- I have many really good days, followed by a week of utter hell. On the good days, I don't think I need meds, and on the bad ones, I'm too far under to ask for help (quite the conundrum, huh?).
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I am on zoloft and work full time... Zoloft is safe for breastfeeding, it is actually the number one drug of choice for bfing moms.  It is helping me with my PPA and PPD.  took a while, but finally feeling like myself
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"