Birth Stories

my crazy birth story and tons of pictures of my little girl :)

i'm sorry the pictures are so big

Sunday night (8/14) I was finishing up Riley's room, and was so excited it would be done before she got here! Well, for the most part. Later that evening, something was telling me to pack up my little suitcase with everything I'd need for the hospital, and I hadn't had that urge until that night. I got everything packed up, and even painted my nails so they looked pretty just in case! Since nothing else usually looks very pretty after you give birth, I at least wanted pretty nails. I went to bed about 1am.

At 3:15am my contractions started. I started timing them pretty much right away, because they were much stronger than the ones I had been feeling before. They were already about 4-5 minutes apart, and got really strong really fast. I was having a lot of back labor which I didn't remember with Dominic, so I was worried she was sunny side up.

I had Don blow up the exercise ball so I could use that to manage the pain of the contractions. Seriously, these got so intense so fast it caught me off guard. Around 4:30am I called my mom and told her she needed to start heading down to our house to stay with Dominic. I texted a few friends and family and my birth photographer and told them I think this was going to be the big day! I bounced on my ball for a while (I didn't use this when I was in labor last time, but I definitely should have. It helped so much) and then I hopped in the shower to see if it would give me some relief. By this time the contractions were probably 2-3 minutes apart but I didn't figure after not even 2 hours of labor I had anything to worry about yet. I stayed in there for a little bit, but the temperature I needed to keep it at to lessen the back labor was making me really dizzy and light-headed. I decided I couldn't stay in there forever, and got out. By about 5:30am my mom had arrived, and I was back to bouncing on my ball. Now my contractions were all basically back-to-back with only a few seconds in between, and some of them were almost 3 minutes long. I knew we had to get going, but the contractions weren't giving me any breaks at all to even get up. I remember it was right about 6, and I felt the urge to push. I didn't say anything, because I didn't want to freak Don out. I know he was already in a little state of panic with how quickly everything was going. I knew we had to go so I sucked it up through the contractions and got  dressed and we got into the car at 6:15. Don accidentally left the suitcase on the floor in the garage because we were in such a rush, which had the camera in it. Oops.

I called the birth photographer on the way to the hospital and let her know we were on our way and she told me to let her know when I got admitted. The urge to push was kind of an odd sensation, and since I had an epidural last time I didn't really know what it felt like. If you were wondering, it basically feels like you're about to crap out a bowling ball. Let me tell you, sitting in the car on a 20 minute ride to the hospital while having to push a baby out is not a very good time! I couldn't sit in the back, because we had both car seats back there and didn't have any time to pull them out. So I was stuck in the front seat having back-to-back contractions with nowhere to move, it really sucked.

When we got to the hospital, this lady pulled us over to admitting and was asking us to sign a bunch of crap. I was like ummmm no. They got us into triage and they didn't have a bed ready, so we had to wait for about 10 minutes while I was stuck in a wheel chair with everyone in the waiting room staring at me like I had 4 heads in labor. I think I did a pretty good job of staying calm. Finally they take me back and told Don to stay there, and the nurse wanted me to pee in a cup. I felt so silly thinking that I already needed to push after 3 hours that I didn't say anything to her. I humored her and tried to pee in the cup, but it didn't happen (obviously, giant baby in my birth canal). I walked over to where my bed was and she was about to hook me up to the monitors. I told her, I don't have time for this, you need to check me because I need to push. She checked me and yep, I was at 10. She said ?DON'T PUSH!? Well thanks, I haven't been pushing for about an hour now and I'm about to die. They had Don come back in and I told him it was time to push, and he was like ?WTF??

Well so much for my birth photographer! I left my purse and phone in the car, and Don didn't have her number with him so we weren't able to call her. Not like it mattered anyway, she was a good 30 minutes away. Thank baby Jesus that my midwife on call was already at the hospital dealing with another birth. Another midwife from my office also happened to be there, so I got both of them! We got into the L&D room I believe at 7:05am and I immediately started pushing. Holy relief, batman. Well, as much relief as pooping out a bowling ball will give you I guess. My midwife Kate broke my water while I was pushing, it didn't break on it's own. I remember clearly telling Don that there wasn't any way this baby was going to come out of there a few times in the middle of possibly breaking his fingers. I've given birth before, but I still find it completely unbelievable. Pushed a few more times and at 7:19am, 7 pound 14 oz Riley Denise arrived! She was 20.25? long and beautiful with her little dimples and blonde hair. We let the cord stop pulsing before it was cut, so she laid on my chest for quite a while after wards. Once they were done cleaning her up and doing her stats, Don went out to get my phone and I texted the friends and family I talked to earlier (they were all wondering where I went) and told them she was here, and we both called our moms. We couldn't believe all that happened, it was so fast. Good thing I wasn't going to get an epidural and planning a natural birth anyway! Last pregnancy I didn't really want one, and I caved after about 9 hours of labor and got it. I was already at 8/9 cm, and have been pissed at myself ever since for getting it. I was almost done, and I knew I could do it myself. This time around I'm glad I got what I wanted and if we have any more kids, I plan to go natural again (but apparently I need to camp outside the hospital for the weeks surrounding my due date to ensure I make it there in time). It was so empowering and so nice to get up right after having her and move around, etc. My recovery this time around was a million times better and I can honestly say I felt great immediately after the birth.  

I had a great experience but am really sad that we don't really have any pictures of anything. That's the only thing I wish I could change. So now that I'm a crying mess, there's my crazy story!

and here is a sneak peak of the newborn pictures from sunday. i am DYING to see the rest!!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: my crazy birth story and tons of pictures of my little girl :)

• I have honestly never laughed so hard reading a birth story, hahah. I loved it!

"Don accidentally left the suitcase on the floor in the garage because we were in such a rush, which had the camera in it. Oops. "

"If you were wondering, it basically feels like you're about to crap out a bowling ball. "

"When we got to the hospital, this lady pulled us over to admitting and was asking us to sign a bunch of crap. I was like ummmm no. "

"They had Don come back in and I told him it was time to push, and he was like ?WTF??"

"Holy relief, batman. Well, as much relief as pooping out a bowling ball will give you I guess. "

Some of my favorite lines haha :)
    It sounds like we had pretty similar first experiences so I am encouraged/hopefully from reading your story! Congratulations on your beautiful new babe! 
    evelyn 4.2010 | will 1.2012 | baby BOY due 12.2014
    pregnant and/or breastfeeding since 2009.

• haha thanks! i hope the rest of your pregnancy goes well and wish you a smooth delivery!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Your little girl is adorable!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • What a great story, congrats on your little girl =)
    Raising a threenager since 11/11
    Baby boy #2 due 5/6/15
  • Haha! I loved your story and happy that you and baby are doing wonderfully!! She is beautiful!!!!!!!!!
  • What a wonderful story!!!  Congrats!!!!  I wish I'll have the courage to go natural but, I doubt it.
  • Great story!  Thanks for sharing!  I'm sort of jealous of even your DS's labor length.  It took 30 hours for my DD!  

I can't believe you were able to hold off on the urge to push for that long.  I remember that urge clearly and I don't know if I would have been able to wait that long AND not say anything!  

Enjoy your two little cuties! 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • She is beautiful! What a fantastic birth story!!!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
  • Wow, what an amazing story.  Congratulations on your natural birth.
  • Thanks for sharing. It's comforting to know that a second labor can go that fast. Active labor with DS was only 3 hours (from water breaking to delivery was 13) and I'm really hoping that this little guy will come out just as fast. :)

She's beautiful and congrats on your little family! 

• Congrats!

I love the pic of you both in the hospital bed.

• Thanks for sharing such a great story. You have a very pretty daughter, she is so adorable.
  • SPAM -- redirect links removed by a moderator
  • I'm just lurking here, don't really know why, but your daughter is beautiful!!!  Such a cutie.  Congratulations!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"