Potty Training

Not sure when my child will ever be PT at night/bedtime

Ds has been doing really well and is about 95% PT except for nap and bedtime.  Very rarely does he wake up dry after a nap, but his diaper will leak at bedtime sometimes because it gets so full, or depending on how he's laying.  We restrict his fluids after about 7, and his bedtime is 8:30.  And we always make him pee before he lays down.  Do we need to start getting up multiple times at night to take him to the potty?  We thought about doing that anyway once the baby gets here since we'll be up, but is that what it takes?  He's in a size 6 overnight diaper...they don't get any bigger!!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Not sure when my child will ever be PT at night/bedtime

• Being able to hold it or wake up overnight is not something that can really be trained. It's something physical that their bodies will eventually do, but you can't force it when they aren't ready. My daughter reached that point on her own shortly after daytime training, but my niece has been daytime trained for 3 years and still fills a diaper overnight at 5.5. My SIL now has her wearing an alarm that wakes her up if she's wet to try to increase her awareness in the hopes that this will help her get there, but it's not considered a medical problem until a child is older, like 6 or 7.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Overnight dryness is not a training issue but a physiological issue, it's very common for kids to take up until the age of 5ish and it's not considered "abnormal" until they are older than 9.

I'd still leave him in the pull up but I would take him to pee before you guys go to bed and see if that curbs the wetness in the morning issue.  They do make larger diapers, up to size 7 for diapers and then their are larger sizes in pullups and then even larger sizes in underjams (which are basically I kid sized type of depends).

For larger sizes you'll need to check out Amazon or diapers.com because in stores you won't find the them.  Heck sometimes my stores don't even carry the 6's.  The upside is with Amazon Mom you can sign up for their delivery service and save an additional 30% plus get free 2 day shipping and set up your delivery schedule (for example once a month a package of Huggies Overnights shows up on my doorstep without my having to think about it and my cost per diaper for 6's is .26)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"