April 2011 Moms

starting solids ?

My pediatrician gave us the go ahead on starting cereal. She basically said that I can schedule meals however it works best for me; however, I have no idea where to start. Do I replace a nursing session with cereal or do I nurse, then give DD cereal? What has worked for all of you?

Also, I'm planning on making my own food. I'm going to purchase a baby food maker to make things a little easier. I'm torn between the Baby Brezza and the Beaba. Any thoughts would be helpful! TIA!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: starting solids ?

• You nurse, then offer solids. At first LO will only take a tablespoon or 2.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • no advice on solids since we are waiting until 6 months

but as far as baby food makers - now granted im talking from all the reviews i have read so bear with me there, not trying to sound like i know it all :)  but ive read that quite a few were not happy with the all in one makers as they only make a small amount at a time. instead they seemed happier with a food processor since they could make more to freeze in batches. 

i too am going to make DD's food - it was always something i knew i would do - and it gives me good reason to bust out the expensive food processor we got for our wedding 2 years ago!  i think id invest in a nice processor over a baby specific machine if we didnt already have the processor.

again sorry to ramble - i had too much time on my hands at the end of my pregnancy at that was one thing i was reading a lot about

imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • imageKERJF:

but as far as baby food makers - now granted im talking from all the reviews i have read so bear with me there, not trying to sound like i know it all :)  but ive read that quite a few were not happy with the all in one makers as they only make a small amount at a time. instead they seemed happier with a food processor since they could make more to freeze in batches. 

This...I don't have anything fancy to make baby food and can easily be done with a food processor, blender or hand mixer, depending on what you are making. I made batches of banana, avocado and banana/avocado mix in about 15 minutes...I also made 2 batches of sweet potatoes which took a little longer since I needed boil them to soften them.

I fed LO baby food in the evenings after his last feeding before bed. Hope that helps you get started!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • we started with rice cereal- just a spoonful mixed to a runny consistency with BM after he ate his normal "breakfast" around 8am. he did well, so I upped it to 2 spoonfuls (tbsp) after a few days.  We also tried oatmeal cereal and he seemed to like that better, so we kept with that. A couple weeks later I started mixing in fruits and veggies. His favorite now is oatmeal mixed with banana to a consistency kinda like pancake batter.

FWIW, my pedi said not to worry about measurements. Start off small and play with the amounts and the consistency of it to see what your LO likes. There is no right or wrong amount or schedule as long as LO is still getting their nutrition and calories from nursing or bottles.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My mom bought me a Baby Bullet and it's pretty cool (I made the dog some pumpkin for fun) - however, I think you should be fine with a stick blender or regular food processor.

I like the storage system that came along w/ the Bullet - and it's pretty dang cute. I don't have a FP, and this was a much cheaper alternative for the time being. It was $60 at BRU, and I had a 20% coupon to use.

I plan to use it beyond baby food to make pesto and things like that  - I don't care that it has a smiley face on it, it will still work for tasks beyond baby food. I wouldn't buy something JUST to puree stuff for baby, that seems like a waste of cabinet space.

• My MIL gave me the Beaba cook.  It's okay, but I wouldn't spend the money on it.  Like one of the pp said, it makes rather small amounts.  It's just as easy to use a regular food processor and you can make more in one shot, which saves you time.  Even though I have the thing, I probably won't even use it for Liz.

Oh, and whoever mentioned about sweet potatoes.  That was one of Drew's favorites and, I thought, the easiest to make.  I'd just buy whole sweet potatoes, crank the oven up to 400, poke holes in the skin, and bake until soft and mushy (40 minutes or so?).  Then you can easily peel the skin off and mash it with a fork.  It's basically three minutes of your time (since you can do other things while it's baking).  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"