Trying to Get Pregnant

Dark line on OPK after ovulation

I am currently 3 DPO and peed on an OPK today (and yesterday for that matter) and received a dark 2nd line.  It was not a positive, but still dark.  This is how it was last cycle too.  It seems weird to me to be getting these dark lines AFTER ovulation.  Do I just have more LH in my system or could there be some sort of imbalance?
Me: PCOS   DH: No issues

August '16-January '17: Clomid + HCG + IUI/TI = BFN
February/March '17: Menopur + HCG + IUI = BFN
April '17: Menopur + HCG + TI (due to too many mature follicles) = BFN
May '17: Took off due to cysts
June' 17: Menopur + HCG + IUI = Cancelled due to 8+ mature follicles
November '17: Clomid + HCG + IUI= BFN
December '17: Menopur + HCG + TI= BFP!!!! Due August 2018

Re: Dark line on OPK after ovulation

• ..wait..it was dark but NOT a positive? If it wasnt a positive but there was still a line thats a negative OPK, some women always or almost always have LH in their system (like me)...but if it was as dark or darker than the control line that is a positive..how do you know you already O'd? Do you chart? Did you use OPK's 3 days ago to confirm?

edited to add: women with PCOS tend to either not get positives (lack of O) or always get positives (true and false for days in a row due to the hormonal imbalance with PCOS) not saying thats what you have...but its something that some women deal with

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagelovin life23:
    ..wait..it was dark but NOT a positive? If it wasnt a positive but there was still a line thats a negative OPK, some women always or almost always have LH in their system (like me)...but if it was as dark or darker than the control line that is a positive..how do you know you already O'd? Do you chart? Did you use OPK's 3 days ago to confirm?

Yes, I chart.  The link is in my sig.  I had two positives this cycle and now I am getting what looks like almost positives.  I just thought that the 2nd line should be a lot fainter after ovulation, maybe I'm wrong. 

• Loading the player...
  • I don't really have any good advice for you.

I just wanted to say I want to squish your puppy.

• imagemlynb:

I don't really have any good advice for you.

I just wanted to say I want to squish your puppy.

Squish all you like!  We just got him and he's seriously the best!   

• Non-digi OPK's can be subjective... and as you probably alraedy know, the only way to confirm O is by a shift in your BBT.

I don't think it should be concerning unless you get a positive.  Someone posted the other day that inexpensive OPK's can also detect hCG... but at 3DPO that isn't likely.  I use Wondfo and each test is different, so I'd go with unless it's +, don't worry.  HTH - GL!

TTC #1 since January 2011
    CD3 & 7DPO B/W Normal except TSH - Low
    Dx Autoimmune Thyroid Disease - 8/2011
  • this is from peeonastick.com:

21. Does ovulation occur while my test is positive, or will the OPK become negative again first? Ovulation occurs shortly after LH levels peak. However, there is no way to predict whether your OPK will still be showing a positive result during the actual moment of ovulation or whether your OPK will go back to negative first. Remember that it takes time for the hormones in your bloodstream (such as LH) to be metabolized into your urine. By the time your LH surge is reflected in your pee, it has already been peaking in your blood for a short while. Likewise, after your blood levels go down, it takes awhile for your pee levels to decrease.

Because of this "lag time" and the fact that you can't predict how long it will take your body to metabolize LH into and out of your urine, there is no way to know whether your egg follicle actually ruptured while your OPK was positive, or after the OPK became negative again

• I think it's normal and wouldn't worry too much unless you were getting definite positives again, then you may not have O'd. 
Search Boards
"
"