Pregnant after 35
Options

How do you sleep?

I've been struggling to find comfortable ways to sleep.  I've always been a side/back sleeper, but now I'm trying to sleep mostly on my side.  So each night I line up pillows on either side of myself, to throw a leg over as I sleep on my side.  I feel like I've built the Great Wall of Down around myself.  Between the pillows and the quilt, it is pretty toasty in there. And I still wake up all crampy.

Any advice for getting a good night's sleep (you know, between the two - to - four trips to the bathroom)?

image"">image"">imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: How do you sleep?

• Options
    I have no trouble sleeping. I go to the bathroom maybe once a night. I sleep on my side/stomach still without any pillows and it works fine.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    It sounds like you already have the system down. I line up pillows behind me so it feels like I'm sleeping on my back, even though I'm on my side (I know it's ok to sleep on your back for awhile, but I want to get used to the side sleeping now). The only other thing that helps me is accepting that I'm just not going to sleep as well or as much. It's worse if I stress about it. So far I'm still pretty functional despite significantly less sleep than pre-pregnancy! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Not well! :). I'm essentially doing what you are except I use a cuddle pillow (smaller than a bed pillow but shaped like a comma) and roll over with it. We only have a queen bed so there isn't quite enough space to have a row of pillows on both sides of me. My biggest issue is that both shoulders ache from sleeping on them. When it gets too annoying, I schedule a massage and that buys me a few weeks. I also get up 3-4 times to pee. Luckily, the end is in sight!
  • Options
    I have three positions I rotate throughout the night (usually on one of those bathroom trips).  I have a body pillow that I prop under my belly and use between my legs as I lay on either my left or right side, or I lay on my back with the pillow under my right side so that I'm tilted to the left.  My Dr. said that should be enough to help with circulation issues from back sleeping and I find it helps take some pressure off of my hip as opposed to side sleeping. 
  • Options
    I start out on my left side wrapped around my Snoogle but I always end up on my right side. It is just more comfortable to me. I'm only 16 weeks so things are bad yet. I remember the 3T and I gave up being comfortable anywhere except a recliner.
  • Options

imagealfontaine:
    Not well! :) . . . . . 

This is exactly how I would have answered this question. :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imageAlmostMrsI:
    I have three positions I rotate throughout the night (usually on one of those bathroom trips).  I have a body pillow that I prop under my belly and use between my legs as I lay on either my left or right side, or I lay on my back with the pillow under my right side so that I'm tilted to the left.  My Dr. said that should be enough to help with circulation issues from back sleeping and I find it helps take some pressure off of my hip as opposed to side sleeping. 

Thanks for the idea!  I'm going to try this one tonight. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imageYaraC:
    I start out on my left side wrapped around my Snoogle but I always end up on my right side. It is just more comfortable to me. I'm only 16 weeks so things are bad yet. I remember the 3T and I gave up being comfortable anywhere except a recliner.

I've got to tell ya, recently, after a week of crappy sleep, I appropriated an old Stressless chair from my MIL's basement with exactly this in mind.  Then I spent an entire Sunday morning rearranging the family room to make it fit with our other furniture. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I really like my snoogle, but I have to change sides a couple of times a night.  I still get some pain and crampyness in my hips and shoulders but it is much better.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Sleep?  What's that??  I haven't slept good in months!  At first it was mostly b/c I was up going to the bathroom multiple times a night and now it's b/c of that and I just can't get comfortable.  I sleep on my sides with a preg pillow, but my hips and lower back still hurt.  Can't seem to find a good sleeping position anymore.  I have just accepted that my nights of sleeping good through the whole night are over...oh well...all for a good cause. Big Smile
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    What is this sleep that you talk about? I don't think I have had a good night's sleep since January.  I have a big u-shaped body pillow that I cushion around me and have added an extra pillow under my belly for comfort.  I change positions throughout the night.  The only thing that helps me sleep is exhaustion and going for a walk.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"