March 2011 Moms
Options

5 month check up

We had our 5 month check up today. Zoe is 25.5 inches and 15 lbs 12.5 oz! But thats not the point of this post. I was talking to my pedi about baby food since we got the go ahead at her 4 month appt. and I mentioned that we moved up to stage 2 food because they are combo foods, instead of a single fruit/veggie they have 2 or more mixed together. I moved to the mixed food because I found that Zoe likes them better and will happily eat the whole thing. We did do the 4 days in between foods to check for allergies and then when we went back to the foods after she tried them all the only ones she would eat were apples, pears, peas and sweet potatoes. The pedi told me that she shouldn't be on stage 2 yet because it takes 15 tries for a baby to really know if they like a food or not. I have never heard that one before. I would think that if she will eat peas and wont eat green beans then she knows what she likes and doesn't like. I am not going to waste food and money giving her food she will not eat when I know that if I mix the green beans with pears and peas that she will eat it. Has anyone heard about this or had their Doctor tell them this? And does this even make sense to anyone? Maybe I just don't get it, maybe I am just giving LO too much say in what she eats. Regardless I am not going back to stage 1 when she likes stage 2 better. Oh and if your wondering I am not giving the stage 2s with meat in it just fruits and veggies.

Re: 5 month check up

• Options

i haven't heard. at 4 months the pedi gave us the okay for foods but just said to make sure they were stage 1 because it was a single food and pureed more.  then gerber sent us the thingy about stage 2 foods and the cues to look for when addy gets to the "sitter" stage. she sits well on her own but she doesn't sit herself up.  and she doesn't use her top lip to clear the spoon (that's what gerber said anyway) we don't think she's ready for it because they are a thicker texture, not so much because they are 2+ foods blended together.  she goes to the doctor at 6 months (in a couple weeks) and if the doctor mentions going up to the next stage maybe we will.

if it's just because she may or may not like a food and not a serious problem like digestion or something i don't see why your doctor would make you go back to stage 1

Bre Wrties
  • Options

imageGinafawny:
    We had our 5 month check up today. Zoe is 25.5 inches and 15 lbs 12.5 oz! But thats not the point of this post. I was talking to my pedi about baby food since we got the go ahead at her 4 month appt. and I mentioned that we moved up to stage 2 food because they are combo foods, instead of a single fruit/veggie they have 2 or more mixed together. I moved to the mixed food because I found that Zoe likes them better and will happily eat the whole thing. We did do the 4 days in between foods to check for allergies and then when we went back to the foods after she tried them all the only ones she would eat were apples, pears, peas and sweet potatoes. The pedi told me that she shouldn't be on stage 2 yet because it takes 15 tries for a baby to really know if they like a food or not. I have never heard that one before. I would think that if she will eat peas and wont eat green beans then she knows what she likes and doesn't like. I am not going to waste food and money giving her food she will not eat when I know that if I mix the green beans with pears and peas that she will eat it. Has anyone heard about this or had their Doctor tell them this? And does this even make sense to anyone? Maybe I just don't get it, maybe I am just giving LO too much say in what she eats. Regardless I am not going back to stage 1 when she likes stage 2 better. Oh and if your wondering I am not giving the stage 2s with meat in it just fruits and veggies.

I have heard of this before, that it take at least 15 tries before baby "likes" the food.

This actually happened to us, with 2 different foods. The first was Peaches. At first taste, he HATED peaches. He would clam up and not let anything in. We tried them for 2 weeks and then gave up. Then, I tried a few weeks later and he loved them.

The next was Green Beans. When he first tried these, he hated them too. Same thing would happen, he would shut his mouth and not eat anything else. I started to mix 1/2 container green beans and 1/2 container of apples. We did that for a week, then I mixed 1/2 container of green beans and 1/4 container of apples. Then, I tried the Grean Beans on their own, with a spoonful of apples after. And now he will eat the green beans. A lengthy process, but he eventually developed a taste for the green beans. He is still not loving them, but he will eat them without anything mixed in.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

All I've heard is that you should give your baby veggies before you start giving them fruits.  I would go by dr's recommendations until she's at least 6 months of age when her digestion tract is more mature and can handle more.

Just my two cents.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Yes I have heard that many times that it takes x amount of times before they like a food. And I would rather spend the money, even if it is a waste. Why not give him every chance possible to like more foods?
  • Options

imageMagical95:
    Yes I have heard that many times that it takes x amount of times before they like a food. And I would rather spend the money, even if it is a waste. Why not give him every chance possible to like more foods?

Ditto this.

Haven't you ever tried something that you didn't initially like, but developed a taste for shortly after trying it? I have many times...Salt and vinegar chips. The first one is disgusting, but the farther you go the better they get.

Sometimes the mouth/tastebuds just need conditioned for a different flavor.

You're being very closed minded.

• Options
    imagesrs5624:

imageMagical95:

Ditto this.

Haven't you ever tried something that you didn't initially like, but developed a taste for shortly after trying it? I have many times...Salt and vinegar chips. The first one is disgusting, but the farther you go the better they get.

Having her try it 6 times is not being closed minded. I am doing what I feel is best for my child. 

It is good to know that others have heard of the 15 times rule, I will keep that in mind if it should come up in the future. But in this case I am not going to listen to my pedi and I know it is not a problem since not all doctors give the same advise. And that is all it is, advise.  

• Options
    imageGinafawny:
    imagesrs5624:

imageMagical95:

Ditto this.

Having her try it 6 times is not being closed minded. I am doing what I feel is best for my child. 

It is good to know that others have heard of the 15 times rule, I will keep that in mind if it should come up in the future. But in this case I am not going to listen to my pedi and I know it is not a problem since not all doctors give the same advise. And that is all it is, advise.  

I meant closed minded because you're stomping your feet and refusing to buy a couple tubs of stage 1 because she might not like it. If you buy a few stage one tubs, you can make whatever mixture you want. If she likes plums, buy a tub of plums and a tub of green beans. Mix a little bit of plums in with the green beans to make it familiar.

Green beans are a very strong flavor. Anything green has a very strong flavor and they can be bitter. It's a far cry from the orange, yellow, and purple foods. There's a reason why kids just don't like green veggies. They can be gross.

Honestly, I make my own purees. Not because I'm a health nut or because I'm afraid of the evil non-organic food. But because I tried some of the Gerber stuff for myself and it was gross. Try the green beans when you get home and see if they're even edible to you. She might like them if you make your own. The flavor is so much better with the food I make compared to the jars.

• Options
    your baby isn't supposed to be on stage 2 foods yet because of his digestive development. Introducing too many different things so young will cause problems in his digestive tract later on in life. Maybe not immediately, but eventually. You're supposed to listen to your pediatrician for a reason. Not just because the baby doesn't like the food. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"