Upstate NY Babies
Options

First Day at Daycare!

So today I dropped O off to daycare for the first time... I didnt cry, but already, I miss him terribly.

I know that his "firsts" will all be firsts for me when I see them, but I cant help feeling like I am missing out on "raising" him - KWIM? I dont mean to offend anyone that has a LO in daycare, because obv. O has to be in daycare so that we can work.

Also, my biggest fear is that I wont be able to pump enough milk for him - I am not a big producer when I pump... and Ive been waking up early to get the most milk out in the AM - but as the day goes on, my pumping output tends to tank....

Bleh - I know it gets better....

Re: First Day at Daycare!

• Options

I dont have any experience with what you are going through (pumping or daycare) but don't feel bad. You are doing what you have to do for your family and that's what's best for O :-)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

hope he does great! I'm sure each day going forward will be even easier.

try and relax and not over think the pumping. Whenever I had to pump I always stressed myself out thinking about how much I needed each session... which always led to my supply dropping! Drink lots of water too!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I really felt horrible when I dropped C off the first day. One thing we always did before she went was to talk about what she did that day, and suddenly I wouldn't really know anymore, KWIM? But we are so so happy with the place she is at - she is at someone's home with only two other little ones and she has a blast, and she is very well taken care of. I think that is one thing that makes it easier - she is so glad to go there and play and have fun with her buddies, and we are really comfortable with who we chose. It is sad to think we might miss her *first* steps or things like that, but really, we need to work and she does well where she is and it will still be the first time to us when we see it.
    image        image
  • Options

It will get better!  I didn't have daycare, thanks to my mom and dh, but I did have to pump at work.  It is tough, but you will get in to a routine.  The first week, I produced less, but your boobs get used to the pump.  Try to relax as that will help your let down.  I pumped in a bathroom and could hear my employees and customers (which also meant they could hear me, although the pump is quieter than voices), and I was always worried a customer would need me right after starting, so it was hard to relax.  A couple things I did to tune out work was to bring in my cell phone and go thru the pics and videos of dd on there.  Also, I would mentally go thru lists of what I needed to do, although that is probably not a good idea!  I never ever get a break at work, so I actually kind of missed that time where I got to just sit and breathe once I was done.

Also - do compressions and squeezing while you pump.  It makes you get more out, which for me was vital since I only could spend 15 min tops, and I didn't usually get full streat let down until minute 6 or 7.

ALso, you have access to a fridge right?  I put all my pump parts in a gallon ziploc bag and put those in the fridge too.  I re-used those all day (so 3 pumpings in the beginning), and just washed at the end of the day at home.  I did not have the space, cleansliness, or time, to wash at work.  Fresh milk is good in the fridge for 3 days, so I knew that it would be fine with the pump parts thru my 10 hr day as long as I always washed my hands first (obviously!).

Time will fly and before you know it, all this will be second nature for you!  Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"