November 2011 Moms

Can I put a crib together myself?

DH will be out of town for a few days this week, and I am anxious to get the crib up, mostly to start decorating and see what the room will look like ( we just moved into a new house ) Is this feasible, or do you really need two pairs of hands to put it together?
b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

Re: Can I put a crib together myself?

• You can do it. I helped with all of my crib set ups and I dont think there would be a issue to do it alone. Lean the back against the wall and put the side on...then it will be free standing and less weight for you.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My DH put the crib together himself, so it can definitely be done. He's pretty handy though, I think I would have found it very awkward if it were just me and would have wanted help.
    Raising a threenager since 11/11
    Baby boy #2 due 5/6/15
  • Loading the player...
  • Honestly, I think it's possible... BUT it might be easier with two people. I put the changing table together by myself last night and that was a complete PITA. Looks nice now though!
  • It's easier with 2 people, but definitely doable by one person.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would strongly recommend 2 people. My DH put the crib together himself, but I was there to help hold the parts together while he screwed them together tightly. I  would worry about possible scratches with just one person putting it together.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I put mine together by myself about 3 weeks ago.  I think it really depends on the crib.  I didn't find it awkward at all, and it only took about 30 minutes to do.  The biggest PITA was the mattress holder or whatever that thing is.  It was hard getting between the slats of the bed to connect it to the frame, but it would have been much harder for my hubby (he has large hands and wrists).
    imageimageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagejburdet1:
    I would strongly recommend 2 people. My DH put the crib together himself, but I was there to help hold the parts together while he screwed them together tightly. I  would worry about possible scratches with just one person putting it together.

This.

~Caleb~ If i could have a lifetime wish, a dream that would come true, I'd pray to God with all my heart, for yesterday and you. D&E 8/24/2012 EDD 1/28/2013 ___________________________________________________ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It's easier with two people but one person can do it.  I put together one of our two cribs by myself and MH helped with the second one.

Visit My Twin Life 
  • You can do it! I put one of our dressers together myself one day while DH was at work.  Just couldn't stand it sitting there in a box.  I'm sure it'll be the same way once the crib arrives.  DH is a procrastinator and gets frustrated very easily if things aren't going his way. He also has to make everything nice and neat and perfect! LOL.  He did help put together the first dresser, however it took us about 2.5 hours to do, and when I did the second myself it only took me an hour.  So you can def do it.  Good Luck!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My DH did it on his own while I was at my baby shower.  That sucker is heavy though, I wouldn't have done it by myself in my "condition" :)
    It's a Boy!! Baby #1 - Born 11/2/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Sure you can.  I would make sure your DH didn't want to do it first though.  Some guys want to put the crib together, it's sort of a rite of fatherhood in some guys' eyes.  So I would make very sure that your DH doesn't care if you do it... 
    Mama to Lucy (7/06), Lexi (5/09), and Max (11/11) M/C 12/17/10
  • imageMrs.Greeko:
    Sure you can.  I would make sure your DH didn't want to do it first though.  Some guys want to put the crib together, it's sort of a rite of fatherhood in some guys' eyes.  So I would make very sure that your DH doesn't care if you do it... 

I completely agree with this! All we had was the crib before DH deployed and he was extremely adamant about putting it together before he left even though the room certainly wasn't in any condition for it yet!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageMrs.Greeko:
    Sure you can.  I would make sure your DH didn't want to do it first though.  Some guys want to put the crib together, it's sort of a rite of fatherhood in some guys' eyes.  So I would make very sure that your DH doesn't care if you do it... 

This.

Also, while I'm sure you CAN do it yourself, I wouldn't.  You will run a much greater risk of scratching it and it isn't really solid until it is all together.   The way you will need to manipulate it could cause undue strain on some of the screws or wood pieces.  It's a much, much easier job for 2 people.

• It depends on how big your belly is.  I put our swing together last week and it was kind of hard for me to move around and pick up the heavier pieces.  You probably could put it together by yourself, but you might be more awkward to move the bigger pieces arond.  If you do, like pp said, prop one side up against the wall.  Good luck!!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"