Parenting

air show today = tragedy :(

The airshow was in town this weekend.  We took the kids today.  The stunt where the guy climbs from the top of a plane into a helicopter above him went terribly wrong and we watched as the man fell to his death.  I cannot get the image out of my head.  I don't think my kids were watching closely enough to see him falling, but it was hard to escape what was happening.  The crowd of 75000 people was silent and everyone was talking about it.  They grounded all planes and stopped the show for about 45 minutes, but eventually finished the show.  dd is only 2 and she is clueless, but my 4.5 y/o ds keeps talking about it.  I'm not sure how to deal with him because he's saying things like 'I saw the guy falling and his arm was out and when he hit the ground his arm was gone'.  Clearly he didn't see that happen, but he's talking about it all very graphically.  I told him the man has a dangerous job and the doctors were working to make him feel better.  

I feel terrible for the stuntman's family - wife and kids.  I will hug my family a little tighter tonight, we'll say an extra prayer for the family and I will thank God for the fact that DH has the easiest, less dangerous job in the world!!!    

Christmas 2009 image

Re: air show today = tragedy :(

• We live in Chesterfield and DH is a cop here.  His buddy just told him about this and I have not been able to stop thinking about it.  I can't imagine actually seeign it happen.  The last I heard he was taken to Mt Clemens Reginal Medical Center....I can't imagine he survived...but maybe there is a little hope? 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was just reading about that online. I can't imagine what it was like to see it happen. I think I would've said the same thing you did to your 4.5 y.o. I'll say a prayer for the family too. 
  • Loading the player...
  • omg that is awful.  We had an airshow in our town this weekend too and DH refused to go.  He says they are often really dangerous and tragic?  idk.  we didn't have them growing up.
  • That's so sad.  T&P for his family.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Nevermind...he did pass away...just heard.  So sad;(
  • How terrible. A pilot died in an airshow yesterday in KC. It seems like a common thing to happen, unfortunately.
  • How tragic. I can't imagine doing that type of stunt without a parachute for backup. Although I guess the maneuvering of the planes for the show is just as dangerous.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Tricia, I just read that he broke every bone in his body and has passed.  He was at Mt Clemens. 

FFG, I heard about the plane crash at the Kansas show yesterday. So terrible for witnesses at both shows.  What makes me angry about this is that walking on the outside of a plane is dumb. Especially when there is no safety net involved.

A parachute wouldn't have helped as he was only 200 ft from the ground.

I don't know if I could marry a man who does this for a living.  IMO, and flame if you want, but there are a lot of risky professions out there that are admirable.  This one is just dumb. 

And if anyone is disturbed enough, there is video :(

Christmas 2009 image
  • My husband is an air show performer and we were scheduled to be there today but his jet (F-22) is grounded right now.  For the first time since the grounding I am thankful to have missed a show.  I've met him and he is very down to earth nice guy.  It's been a had air show weekend in general... 2 pilots died and now this. :(
  • imageCTFandme:

Tricia, I just read that he broke every bone in his body and has passed.  He was at Mt Clemens. 

FFG, I heard about the plane crash at the Kansas show yesterday. So terrible for witnesses at both shows.  What makes me angry about this is that walking on the outside of a plane is dumb. Especially when there is no safety net involved.

A parachute wouldn't have helped as he was only 200 ft from the ground.

I don't know if I could marry a man who does this for a living.  IMO, and flame if you want, but there are a lot of risky professions out there that are admirable.  This one is just dumb. 

And if anyone is disturbed enough, there is video :(

Reminds me of this part of the Tommy Barlett show that we saw this year. (Start around 1:10.) It's basically 2 giant hamster wheels put together, and people walk around the inside and outside of the wheels. At one point, the guy almost didn't make it all the way around, and all I could see was him falling. (He held on and made it around somehow.) No nets either. I can't imagine how horrible I would feel actually watching someone fall.

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • imageZenya:
    omg that is awful.  We had an airshow in our town this weekend too and DH refused to go.  He says they are often really dangerous and tragic?  idk.  we didn't have them growing up.

I won't go to them for the same reason.  

Audrey Elizabeth 11-11-06 image
  • imagefirefightersgal:
    How terrible. A pilot died in an airshow yesterday in KC. It seems like a common thing to happen, unfortunately.

So sad.  It's been on the news here because he was from here.

To OP that is just tragic.  I never even realized they didn't keep a parachute on, just in case.  Again, so sad.

imageimage
  • Goodness, that's so sad. :(
  • I was at the KC air show and saw the crash there happen. It was horrible and surreal, I kept thinking "this can't really be happening...". I still can't quite wrap my head around it.  Very very sad and shocking... :(

I was just there with my husband, it was tramatic enough for us as adults to see it; I felt bad for the parents having their little kids ask "Mommy/Daddy, what just happened?"

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"