Natural Birth
Options

Another Strep B Question

Hi Ladies,

Does anyone have any experience with doing a natural birth and receiving the Strep B antibiotics - I read the post a few posts down about it but was curious if you found it made a big difference to your overall birth plan?

I had originally planned to labour at home for as long as possible with DH and a doula. To my understanding, it will only make me get to the hospital early if my water breaks. I feel like being in the hospital longer = more pressure for meds and less comfort of home so I am hoping that I just start to experience contractions and then go in when I would normally go in regardless of the Strep B (when contractions hit 5 minutes or so). So I guess my question is, if you were Strep B before, did having to go the hospital early make much of a difference?

TIA!  

BabyFruit Ticker   AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Another Strep B Question

• Options
    The way my doula explained it (and my OB agreed), for a FTM your chances of being in the hospital long enough to receive 2 doses of antibiotics (4 hours) are still really darn good even if you wait to come in to the hospital until contractions are very close together (I'm hoping/planning to wait until 3-1-1).  So, I don't think you really have to worry about going to the hospital "early."  At this point, my biggest concern is if my water breaks beforehand.  And the biggest change I feel like it has made to my birth plan is having to be hooked up to an IV while they administer the antibiotics (although, they said I can get a heplock and only be connected while the antibiotics are being given - about 20/30 mins every 4 hours).
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Hopefully this helps, I wasn't in your same boat, but I was induced with gels at the hospital and when I got to about 5 min between contractions they gave me the IV and the antibiotics. I did the all the rest natural, the only thing is you have the pole attached to you but you are able to walk around and such. Its no big deal.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    i read a couple of birth stories of people who tested positive for gbs and they went to their birth center or hospital and even though they were in labor, they weren't dilated to a 4 yet, so they didn't admit them but they still did the antibiotics, and let them go home and labor some more and then come back to get the second dose. it might depend on how dilated you are.

image image Visit The Nest!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

I was Group B Strep positive and my water actually broke on its own when I was at home. We waited about 45 minutes before going in and I still wasn't contracting. My original plan was to labor at home for a while before going in, but with the GBS I was nervous not going in right away. We went, got checked in, I was immediately administered the IV antibiotics, and about 30 minutes later contractions started.

The staff at the hospital I was at was great; I informed them at the very beginning that I wanted no pain meds, and I didn't want them offered. If I changed my mind later, then I would let them know. They never asked me again. I ended up getting Pitocin, but stayed strong on the no pain meds. I didn't feel any pressure to have the pain meds administered. (I WAS pressured to get the Pit due to the group B strep, because I was going so slowly.)

The IV made it a little tricky to move around, but honestly I wanted to labor sitting up in the bed. It was just the most comfortable for me. I was able to stand up and walk around a little and sway, but I preferred sitting.

I'm sure you could get away with staying at home for a while, but it made me nervous. Just make sure that when you get to where you're birthing you stay firm on them not offering pain meds. And the time the water has been broken may factor in... someone else may know better than I if that's a big risk or just something the hospital will scare you with.

• Options
    My water broke before my contractions began and off to the hospital I went!  My labor was not progressing and since I already had the IV in, the doctor insisted on the pit as well.  I still managed a pain-med free birth.  I agree with the previous post - make sure the staff is aware of your plan for a pain-med free birth! 
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips Ladies! Hopefully I'm back with a birth story sooner rather than later! I love the idea of going home after I get the antibiotics - my husband is a medical resident so I am secretly hoping that they will let us go home since we live 5 minutes from the hospital and will have a doula with us as well! 
    BabyFruit Ticker   AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"