Postpartum Depression
Options

Finally made the call, what to expect?

I know I have been struggling with PPD since DS was born in December.  I kept making excuses, I'm just crying because I'm tired, I just feel this way because BF is hard, It must be that that time of the month, etc.  Well, after lurking on this board for a while, I finally decided I needed to call my doctor.

Yesterday, I mustered up enough courage to call my OB's office.  The triage nurse called me back to tell me that since I'm almost 8 months PP, that I really should just call my Primary Care Physician.  I felt defeated.  I couldn't believe that they weren't going to help me and how on Earth was I going to make this phone call again?

So last night I finally talked to DH about it.  He said he had no idea what I was struggling with. Usually if I started to cry, I'd go to the bathroom or leave the room so he didn't know.  When I was exhausted and laying in bed wide awake for hours, he'd be asleep.  He told me that I really needed to call my PCP.

Today, I called and made an appointment.  I will be going to talk to her on Wednesday (they said they could see me tomorrow, but I can't get off work so soon). 

So, since most of you have been through this, what can I expect from the appointment?  I'm really kind of nervous, I've never been one to share my feelings or talk about what I'm going through, but I know I need to do something.

TIA & sorry this turned out to be so long.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Finally made the call, what to expect?

• Options

When I had PPD with DD I called my OB, but it was only a few weeks after she was born. He referred me to a help group at the hospital, which was very helpful for me. I had depression a few years ago, and I went to my PCP. She didn't talk to me about it or anything, just asked me some routine questions and referred me to a therapist for more help. Yours might do that as well, so I wouldn't be too nervous about it. 

GL, it will get better! 

• Options
    Thank you. I think i'm going to write down everything this weekend so I don't get in there & chicken out. I feel like that is what I did at my 6 week checkup.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Is it possible to take your DH with you? Sometimes it's helpful to have a support person there with you. I would definitely be as honest as you can, the PCP is there to help you and WANTS to help you. Write down everything you can remember, from when it started, to what you've felt (anger, sadness, anxiety, etc) and anything you've tried to make it better.

Hugs!

Wyatt 9/6/2011 
    Tessa 7/5/2013
    Baby #3- ????? (ttc soon)

• Options

I'm glad you're making the call, and I completely understand the frustration when your OB suddenly decides you're not their patient anymore. I went through the same thing 3 weeks ago when I got hit with delayed PPD when I finally weaned my girls.

I wasn't sure how to go about making an appointment, so I made it as my "well woman" exam and then brought up my depression concerns with my PCP there. She got me on meds, and I'm now finally feeling like the clouds are lifting and there is hope again. She also offered to refer me to a therapist if I felt like I needed to talk to someone.

Don't give up, and please follow through with your PCP. There is help out there.

TTC#1 since Mar 2008. Serious MFI due to cancer. 3 cancelled IUI's, just about every test in the book. IVF#1 - BFP! Twin girls arrived 2/5/10 at 35w2d. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Make as many calls as you need to so that you can get the help you need.

My midwife originally prescribed antidepressants at 9 months PP. After she called in the original prescription, I had to meet with my PCP.

Hang in there.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"