April 2011 Moms
Options

FFFC

This is random,  but, I judge you if your child is almost starting Kindergarten and still walks around with a paci. I judge you more when you start to explain yourself, "oh you know, he just loves it. And it's going to be so hard to take it and he's going to be so upset," etc.etc. Yes. He's going to be upset. THEN, he's going to get over it. Seriously, take away his paci.
Chelsea; 7/22/2005 Carissa; 4/9/2011 Cassidy; 9/6/2012
Baby #4; 7/7/2018

Re: FFFC

• Options
    No, I don't find it responsible that you are feeind your 6 month old pretzles.  And I also find it totally inappropriate that the contents of his diet are mashed potatoes, french fries, teething cookies, pancakes, and puffs.  However, it's none of my business, just keep your menu away from my kid who is not starting solids yet.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageCTGirl30:

I judge the parents of fat kids (who 9x out of 10 are overweight themselves). Way to get your child off to healthy start in life.  

And I fully realize that there are SOME medical conditions out there that cause people to have a very hard time losing weight, blah blah blah, but most of the time it's poor eating habits that get passed down from parent to kid.  (Case in point, my SIL. She is now considering gastric bypass surgery but hasn't yet tried the GYM or EATING HEALTHFULLY. But she'd rather go straight to invasive surgery. And her 12 yr old son eats a steady diet of pizza and crap like that - he's getting pretty chubby now...but then again, his parents aren't exactly offering / modeling fruits & vegetables and a variety of options).

I think it's a form of child abuse to have an obses child. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have looked at having my daughter like having a blank slate.  She learns habbits from me so if I eat healthy and I am active, maybe she will be more inclined to be.  Yes, she will eat french fries on occasion, and yes she will have salty/sugary/fatty processed foods in her life but at this point when she isn't even old enough to ask for them, why would I do that to her?  Oh man, I need to get off my high horse right now.  No- I'm not perfect, I'm far from it.  I hope I don't give my poor baby a complex.
  • Options
    Back in my babysitting days, one of the families I worked for told me when I put the baby down for a nap to let him CIO, but gave me no guidelines about how to do it. So, I just blindly put the baby in there and let him cry until he fell asleep. Now that I have my own baby I feel terrible for doing that to the little guy (granted he was an older infant, not a tiny baby) and I judge the parents a little bit for not educating their caretaker on what exactly CIO meant to them.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I agree with all of these things.

Take the paci away! Oh, and a 4 year old in diapers?!?!

As far as fat kids, I do agree that it is the parent's problem. I am one of those fat kids that grew into a fat adult. I've see-sawed my adult life, but now having DD is all the motivation I need. I want to be healthy for her, plus she deserves a good role model when it come to eating habits and exercise. I will say about my own parents and probably many more out there: that we ate crap because crap food is cheaper than nutritious food and money was tight.

As for my own FFFC: I think anyone who can't understand that 4 weeks does not equal one month, is an absolute moron!

• Options
    I am *so* excited to be going away next weekend and doing our first family hotel stay not only because we're going to a Joan Jett concert, but because I'll get to sleep in a bed that smells NOTHING like breastmilk (at first, at least). YAY!
    MacAndCheese
    Mac and cheese lover!

• Options
    imagemadamsmurfette:

I agree with all of these things.

Take the paci away! Oh, and a 4 year old in diapers?!?!

As far as fat kids, I do agree that it is the parent's problem. I am one of those fat kids that grew into a fat adult. I've see-sawed my adult life, but now having DD is all the motivation I need. I want to be healthy for her, plus she deserves a good role model when it come to eating habits and exercise. I will say about my own parents and probably many more out there: that we ate crap because crap food is cheaper than nutritious food and money was tight.

As for my own FFFC: I think anyone who can't understand that 4 weeks does not equal one month, is an absolute moron!

hahaha. I agree with that 100%. The only month with 28 days is February. Obviously 1 month does not = 4 weeks. 

Chelsea; 7/22/2005 Carissa; 4/9/2011 Cassidy; 9/6/2012
    Baby #4; 7/7/2018
  • Options
    ITA with it all. Along the same lines as the paci, no kid above 1 yr should have a bottle. By then, your child is old enough to use a sippy cup.
    Our IVF Miracles! Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I am tired of people of people who ask about my LO's milestones & then have to out do her with their own baby stories.  WTF?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageCTGirl30:

I judge the parents of fat kids (who 9x out of 10 are overweight themselves). Way to get your child off to healthy start in life.  

And I fully realize that there are SOME medical conditions out there that cause people to have a very hard time losing weight, blah blah blah, but most of the time it's poor eating habits that get passed down from parent to kid.  (Case in point, my SIL. She is now considering gastric bypass surgery but hasn't yet tried the GYM or EATING HEALTHFULLY. But she'd rather go straight to invasive surgery. And her 12 yr old son eats a steady diet of pizza and crap like that - he's getting pretty chubby now...but then again, his parents aren't exactly offering / modeling fruits & vegetables and a variety of options).

I get the general idea of this post, and since it's FFFC I can't flame it.  But just as something to consider when looking at an overweight person and their overweight child, part of it could be genetics - not a medical condition, but a person's genetic disposition to body shape/weight, etc.  My mother has always struggled with her weight and I'm lucky enough that I've had trouble with mine, too.  We have the same body type, slower metabolism, and so on.  My father is taller and slim.  My sister is taller and slim.  My sister and I came from the same house, with the same nutritional offerings.  We both played outside all day.  But I've always been bigger than her, even more so since I hit puberty and got hips and boobs, while she has a 12 year old's body.

But if you saw just me and my mother out somewhere it would be easy to say look at that fat mom with her fat daughter.  She must be feeding her cupcakes.  Sure I got a cupcake or two, but so did my skinny sister.

There are plenty of parents feeding their kids crap and having morbidly obese children, but sometimes that's not the case and it may be more difficult than you think to differentiate between the two, just by looking at them.

• Options

I think it's unfair to assume that a child or adult who appears obese is living an unhealthy lifestyle. Genetics can play a big part in all of this, and frankly, you don't know what a family is dealing with.

Calling it child abuse is going too far, IMHO. I think it's great to set healthy goals for your kid - and I certainly intend to do so w/ DD - but it's none of my business what goes on in other homes, and again, being overweight does not automatically stem from lifestyle.

• Options
    imageLJF1218:
    imageCTGirl30:

I've had trouble with mine, too.. my sister is taller and slim.  My sister and I came from the same house, with the same nutritional offerings.  We both played outside all day.  But I've always been bigger than her, even more so since I hit puberty and got hips and boobs, while she has a 12 year old's body.

But if you saw just me and my mother out somewhere it would be easy to say look at that fat mom with her fat daughter.  She must be feeding her cupcakes.  Sure I got a cupcake or two, but so did my skinny sister.

You could have been describing my family too!  My sister is a happy size 4 where I have been a 16 or larger my entire life (well, from puberty on). 

I worked REALLY, REALLY hard to lose 100 lbs pre-baby and I was still significantly larger than my tiny sister.  If you're judging us on the outside you'd think that she was the one working out 5 days a week, but in actuality it is me and she eats fast food/pizza 4-5x a week and hasn't even heard of the concept of "working out."

I know it sounds very superficial, but I honestly pray that DS takes after my DH's natural thin body type.  Either way, healthy food will be a part of our lives (just like it was in my childhood).

All that said to OP, not a flame, but think about more than what people look like on the outside please.

• Options
    imageCTGirl30:

THIS!! there is NO excuse for fat children (unless medical) it's a form of child abuse. children should be eating healthy and playing outside not eating pizza and playing video games!!

• Options

imageLJF1218:
    imageCTGirl30:

I get the general idea of this post, and since it's FFFC I can't flame it.  But just as something to consider when looking at an overweight person and their overweight child, part of it could be genetics - not a medical condition, but a person's genetic disposition to body shape/weight, etc.  My mother has always struggled with her weight and I'm lucky enough that I've had trouble with mine, too.  We have the same body type, slower metabolism, and so on.  My father is taller and slim.  My sister is taller and slim.  My sister and I came from the same house, with the same nutritional offerings.  We both played outside all day.  But I've always been bigger than her, even more so since I hit puberty and got hips and boobs, while she has a 12 year old's body.

There are plenty of parents feeding their kids crap and having morbidly obese children, but sometimes that's not the case and it may be more difficult than you think to differentiate between the two, just by looking at them.

I'm also the bigger sister - while my sister has effortlessly been a size 0 or 2, I've really struggled to maintain a 6 or 8. So I definitely understand the whole being dealt a different set of genes thing - but my husband is an only child with obese parents who fed him Mcdonald's his whole life. This shot his metabolism when he was about 10. Now he really really struggles with his weight and absolutely resents his parents for it. I would call that child abuse.

My FFFC is I cannot stand cheap rich people who give sh*t as gifts. DS was baptized last weekend and the richest people gave him the crappiest stuff or nothing at all while some of our struggling friends gave him checks. At my shower, a cousin who makes over 400k literally wrapped up her kid's used bathtub.  I just don't get it.

• Options

I used to babysit for a little boy who's parents were...eccentric.  The first time I took care of him, he was two and potty training.  His Mom wasn't feeling well, so she decided to stay home and sleep while I was babysitting.  (I look back on it now and just think that she wanted to see how I did with him before she left me alone with him, but I didn't think this at the time).  Anyway, when it was time for bed, she got up to help get him ready to sleep.  We got his clothes off, and she took him by the hand and led him into the bathroom to try to go potty before bed.  He broke away from her and started running around the bedroom naked yelling "I want to pee on Mommy!" at the top of his lungs.  She finally catches him, carries him into the bathroom, sets him on the toilet and says "Ok, now pee on Mommy."

I was floored.

Chase was born 4/23/2011
    Carlene was born 4/18/2014                          A14 siggy challenge:  Junk Food
    image  image image

• Options
    imageTwirple:

I used to babysit for a little boy who's parents were...eccentric.  The first time I took care of him, he was two and potty training.  His Mom wasn't feeling well, so she decided to stay home and sleep while I was babysitting.  (I look back on it now and just think that she wanted to see how I did with him before she left me alone with him, but I didn't think this at the time).  Anyway, when it was time for bed, she got up to help get him ready to sleep.  We got his clothes off, and she took him by the hand and led him into the bathroom to try to go potty before bed.  He broke away from her and started running around the bedroom naked yelling "I want to pee on Mommy!" at the top of his lungs.  She finally catches him, carries him into the bathroom, sets him on the toilet and says "Ok, now pee on Mommy."

I was floored.

Uh....I think peeing on people is degrading (I apologize if this is anyone's sexual fetish, I really do. But I can't quite get to understanding it.)

So...yeah, no.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"