Hawaii Babies

sense of smell

How do you know if LO can smell?

Re: sense of smell

• I don't know about smell, but since smell & taste are tied together, I guess if they can taste, they can smell as well?  I know LO has a can taste b/c she definitely likes some foods more than others and even something like yogurt which has the same consistency in all of the different flavors, she immediately recognizes the banana flavor in the 1st bite  & will not open her mouth for a second for the 2nd bite.  (what baby hates bananas?!?)

Though if I didn't know better I would wonder about LO's sense of smell just b/c she can have the stinkiest poop diaper ever and I am trying not to puke while changing her, she is unfazed by the smell! 

imageLilypie Second Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Other than just reading about how babies can smell I didn't really start to notice it until recently.

I notice that J is perceptive to the smell of food.  If he is outside playing and then he comes in and can smell the food I'm cooking he runs to the kitchen yelling MAC (snack).  That is the only time I can think of when he's going off the sense of smell rather than a learned behavior (most of the time he comes in I'm not cooking so if he notices from the back door it has to be by smell, or if we go out to a good smelling restaurant he knows we will have food so I can't be certain he's reacting to smell alone).

I haven't noticed him reacting negatively to a bad smell like his poop or the outside garbage can.  A lot of his reactions are learned - he will smell flowers and go Mmmm but I don't think he gets it because he does the same thing regardless of if it's a rose or a tulip.

• Loading the player...
  • imagevanilla15:

Though if I didn't know better I would wonder about LO's sense of smell just b/c she can have the stinkiest poop diaper ever and I am trying not to puke while changing her, she is unfazed by the smell! 

This exactly!  I can smell LO's poop from across the room and he's not bothered one bit.  Stick out tongue

• LO picked up a lemon today and held it up to his nose and sniffed it. It was not anything that we've done ourselves before (noticeably smell/sniff something), esp since I'm so m/s these days, so I knew he was doing it on his own because he could smell the lemony fragrance. And he loved it too...so he wouldn't let go of his lemon and walked around sniffing at it over and over again, looking really happy.
    Sept 2008 Wedding | May 2010 & Mar 2012 Babies
  • imageinamra:
    And he loved it too...so he wouldn't let go of his lemon and walked around sniffing at it over and over again, looking really happy.

the thought of b walking around sniffing a lemon made me smile - cute!! Smile

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  •  

that is too cute!

• inamra - that is too cute!! 

it totally made me flash back to being 8 years old and having love's lemon perfume:image

• Thanks ladies =P it was just the only thing that came to mind about LO's sense of smell. Haha, I bet B would go crazy if a little girl wore that perfume!
    Sept 2008 Wedding | May 2010 & Mar 2012 Babies
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"