2nd Trimester

ONE swollen ankle

Am I just weird or does anybody else have this?  Only one of my ankles is swollen.  And it's my right...I'm a leftie.  Does anyone know why this is?

Anniversary

Re: ONE swollen ankle

• Hi...I am 22 wks preg and I have the same question....my left ankle/calf swells up pretty bad but my right looks normal.  Would love to know the answer.
  • Happened to me too! Just my right was swollen not sure why?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I get this even when I'm not pregnant, but actually have an internal structural issue that causes this.  

Usually in pregnancy I believe the uni-lateral swelling is due to the baby compressing your inferior vena cava.   

I will caution you to be EXTREMELY careful when you have uni-lateral (one leg) swelling.  This could be a sign of a DVT.   DVT's are SERIOUS. 

I would recommend calling your Dr. esp if your leg is painful or is warmer.  They may have you come in and do an ultrasound (of your leg) to rule out a blood clot.

Here is a link to the symptoms of a DVT:

https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/deep-vein-thrombosis/DS01005/DSECTION=symptoms

Not trying to freak anyone out, more than likely it's nothing but the baby, but it's better safe than sorry.  

• imageJhawkCE:

I get this even when I'm not pregnant, but actually have an internal structural issue that causes this.  

Usually in pregnancy I believe the uni-lateral swelling is due to the baby compressing your inferior vena cava.   

I will caution you to be EXTREMELY careful when you have uni-lateral (one leg) swelling.  This could be a sign of a DVT.   DVT's are SERIOUS. 

I would recommend calling your Dr. esp if your leg is painful or is warmer.  They may have you come in and do an ultrasound (of your leg) to rule out a blood clot.

Here is a link to the symptoms of a DVT:

https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/deep-vein-thrombosis/DS01005/DSECTION=symptoms

Not trying to freak anyone out, more than likely it's nothing but the baby, but it's better safe than sorry.  

This. My doctor told me to call if I ever had one leg more swollen then the other. It's probably nothing to worry about but I would call your doctor just to be on the safe side.
  • imageJhawkCE:

This!  As a nurse, as soon as I read the title of this post I thought potential DVT.  Like the PP said, don't freak out, but do take appropriate cautions!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Good to have it checked. Another strong possibility - my BF is in residency to be a DO and she looked at my leg and said it was likely that my uterus was tilted and/or baby was sitting way more on that side (which is very true for me). It puts pressure on the vein (or artery, not sure on my terminology) that sends and returns blood to that leg. 

For me I have varicose veins only in the left leg, and my left ankle is swollen and covered in spider veins. And, DS sits on that side of my ute and you can look at my belly and see it is bigger or leans to that side.  

• I just got to a part in one of my books that mentions if one leg swells more than the other that you should contact your Dr. asap.  Hopefully it's not one of the worst case scenarios, but it's better to have a Dr. evaluate to be sure.

• My left foot and ankle swells a lot too.  I asked my doc about it and they said that it was from rapid weight gain and the heat since I live in NC. We have been having some crazy hot weather.  Elevating my foot, soaking in warm water, drinking plenty of water, massage.....nothing works to make it go down.  I was worried about preclampsia but doctor said I was okay.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"