Baby Showers

30 Weeks and still no shower....about to throw one myself.

I'm 30 weeks, I started planning my own baby shower a couple months ago, but someone said you shouldn't plan your own. My mom keeps saying she will, but its been 2 months and still nothing....I keep reminding her. I'm about to start doing it all myself. Any way to give her more hints that its getting closer and closer?

Re: 30 Weeks and still no shower....about to throw one myself.

• I would be sad if no one had thrown me one for my first child, since everyone else gets one.  But I wouldn't have done my own.  I would wait and do a meet the baby type party.
    photo 997d7ce2-9f44-4a90-b78f-0ddf5f488d41_zps82d963f4.jpg
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm sorry, it sounds like your mom and your friends suck.
  • Loading the player...
  • Maybe shes trying to make it a surprise? It's ok to be bummed if no one throws one, but showers are a gift, not a right. Not everyone gets one. Throwing your own is rude and tacky.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• She could be trying to make it a surprise or it could be she's turned off because you keep reminding her about it. Maybe there is something going on in her life that she doesn't have the time she thought she would. I don't know.

Maybe try talking to her about how excited you are about the shower and the baby coming and try to pinpoint a specific date to have the shower. You can also ask her if she needs any help with anything.

• Aww, that does sound sad.  I would be very sad if no one threw me a shower.  That really stinks.  It makes me want to throw one for you.  The only comfort I can give you is that, even if you don't have a shower, you will still probably get gifts from your family and friends.  You just probably won';t get them until after baby arrives.  Maybe like a PP said, it's a surprise?
  • imagecmhicklin:
    I would be sad if no one had thrown me one for my first child, since everyone else gets one.  But I wouldn't have done my own.  I would wait and do a meet the baby type party.

Ditto.  It sucks, but it's a real gross faux pas to throw it yourself.  You are basically telling friends and family to bring your baby presents.  Not cool. 

Married 5-24-2008;
    BFP 4-19-11. Ezri Ana born on due date, Dec 30 2011!
    My Ovulation Chart 
    BFP 10-05-2014; MMC 11-15-2014.
    BFP 02-17-2015
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It might still be early. I know it's exciting and everybody waits for that day, but at 30 weeks I still think you have another month or 6 weeks before I would really think I wasn't having one.
  • I didn't realize how expensive or time-consuming it is to throw a shower until I saw all the preparations and work that went into my own. It's really unfortunate if no one throws one for you, and I'm sorry, that sucks. But I would save the resources and energy to get ready for your LO. Honestly, it will be a better use of time and finances (even if neither are an issue for you).

ETA: My future MIL and SIL threw my shower, but they didn't really get to planning/talking about it until a couple weeks beforehand--maybe that could be the case for you? Idk

• You do realize that if you did decide to be tacky and throw your own shower that money you spent could've been used to actually buy the things you need?  Unless you're doing $5 pizza and beer the money spent on a shower tends to be way more than how much a MTB gets in gifts.
  • I've said it before, but I'll say it again... If no one stepped up to offer/ask about your lack of shower, why would you feel ok inviting them to one you're throwing yourself?  Cut out the middleman,  take that $300 you'd have spent and go buy your own diapers and nipple cream. 

But be sure to make yourself buy a book to enter in your own optional raffle.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • imageBallSox:

I've said it before, but I'll say it again... If no one stepped up to offer/ask about your lack of shower, why would you feel ok inviting them to one you're throwing yourself?  Cut out the middleman,  take that $300 you'd have spent and go buy your own diapers and nipple cream. 

THIS.  I think Ballsox and I are the only realistic ones left on this board.... YOU DO NOT THROW YOURSELF YOUR OWN SHOWER. Tacky and rude to ask for gifts, which is exactly what a shower is.  Sorry that no one has offered or stepped up, it does suck... but it doesn't warrant being tacky. 

• Just be patient and see if someone ends up throwing you one.  If your mom said she would then see if she follows through with it.  If no one does...use your plans that you started to throw a "meet/welcome baby party" after your LO has arrived.  It is never OK to host your own shower (baby or bridal).
  • imageBallSox:

I've said it before, but I'll say it again... If no one stepped up to offer/ask about your lack of shower, why would you feel ok inviting them to one you're throwing yourself?  Cut out the middleman,  take that $300 you'd have spent and go buy your own diapers and nipple cream. 

This.

But seriously, the bulk of our gifts came AFTER the baby was born. And I had 2 showers plus one for work. He got triple the amount of gifts after birth than the 3 showers combined. Just wait! 

• Nevermind!!! She was already planning it! I told her I would help her out though. & I wouldn't be rude and ask them for gifts, I was just excited to have a shower, it's just kinda last minute I guess lol Thanks!
  • imageweddingbells2010:
    imageBallSox:

THIS.  I think Ballsox and I are the only realistic ones left on this board.... YOU DO NOT THROW YOURSELF YOUR OWN SHOWER. Tacky and rude to ask for gifts, which is exactly what a shower is.  Sorry that no one has offered or stepped up, it does suck... but it doesn't warrant being tacky. 

Tongue Tied  have I become tacky and didn't know it?

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• imageLiz4444:
    imageweddingbells2010:
    imageBallSox:

Oh no, dear Liz! I meant you as well :) I didn't see you on the thread.  Now I'm tacky for offending someone :( 

• imageweddingbells2010:
    imageLiz4444:
    imageweddingbells2010:
    imageBallSox:

Oh no, dear Liz! I meant you as well :) I didn't see you on the thread.  Now I'm tacky for offending someone :( 

You, my dear, will never be tacky!  I was just too tired to attack this poor, dead horse again and knew that you guys would be the voice of reason for me as well.

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• imagempotts09:
    Nevermind!!! She was already planning it! I told her I would help her out though. & I wouldn't be rude and ask them for gifts, I was just excited to have a shower, it's just kinda last minute I guess lol Thanks!

I'm glad you're having a shower! I had a similar issue with my family. There was a miscommunication between about 4 people wanting to throw my shower. They were all not wanting to step on each other and was waiting for someone else to say something.

I finally mentioned to DH that I was just going to have a "Meet the Baby" event after DD arrives. He mentioned that to my MIL who then decided to start working on shower plans.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageBallSox:

Ha.  Everything about this....

R&K married 4.15.11. TTC #1 since 7.11.12

BFP #1 9.9.12 EDD 5.21.13 c/p 9.12.12 at 4 weeks 1 day

BFP #2 10.15.12 EDD 6.28.13 c/p 10.19.12 at  4 weeks.

BFP #3 1.19.13 EDD 10.1.13 Eleanor born 10.7.13 at 40 weeks 6 days

13dpo hcg@32, progesterone@13.7, 15dpo hcg@110, 16dpo progesterone@25.9

My blog:Urban Times in Michigan ~ My Bfp Chart

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagempotts09:
    Nevermind!!! She was already planning it! I told her I would help her out though. & I wouldn't be rude and ask them for gifts, I was just excited to have a shower, it's just kinda last minute I guess lol Thanks!

I'm glad you're getting your shower.

Etiquette lesson... 

Throwing your own shower is the same thing as asking for gifts. And yes, it's rude.

A baby shower is considered a gift. Therefore, asking someone to throw you a shower is asking for a gift. See above.

• I'm 32 weeks and still no shower :(

I think this upsets me even more as last fall I threw my sister a baby shower, which was a huge financial commitment for me but now she says she is to busy with her baby (now 7 months old). 

And friends are assuming that she will eventually get around to doing it so they are therefore waiting on her.

• I would be so sad if this happened to me.  I would throw myself the baby shower anyway or maybe I would ask a close friend or relative if they would throw me a baby shower.  Who cares about etiquette YOu only get one chance to have that shower so I would just throw it myself.  if you do care about etiquette, you can make it a fun party and tell people gifts are not required if you want.  
  • I don't think people who are sad about not having a shower or wanting to have some kind of pre-baby celebration are concerned about gifts. I think it's more of the celebration with friends and family about the upcoming baby.

Took 2 years & 8 months to make our baby! Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I say go for it! Or have people come see the baby after.

I don't think this is about getting gifts or registering, but sharing this special time with people that care about you.  We throw our own weddings and birthday bashes, so why not a shower.  Hope it all works out for you!

Photobucket Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • You can say 'no gift's and make it known..and I am sure some friends still may get you something..but that way you don't sound like that is all you are after.
    Photobucket Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"