1st Trimester
Options

Only 1 u/s picture the entire pregnancy?!

So I was at work today and my co-worker (the only person i've told i'm pregnant because i'll have to go to appointments) was telling me about the dr's appts.  I'm only 4w and I have my first appointment tomorrow and I go to the same ob-gyn office that she goes too (same practice different dr) and she told me that she only had one ultrasound the entire time she was pregnant...WHAT?!  She said that they would look at the heartbeath and do the small screen stuff every visit in the office but she only had one major ultrasound where she was able to take a picture home (the gender ultrasound).  Is that normal???  I see people on FB all the time posting pictures of their little beans at 8 weeks. :(  Maybe they just took the picture of the small screen with their phone so they could have a picture forever?  I think i'm just so taken aback by this information.  It makes me really sad.  My co-worker (who I love to death!) is not mushy at all and to this day acts as if pregnancy was nothing, she had no symptoms (didn't realize she was pregnant until 8w), no side affects, and acts like "why would anyone want a picture of the alien inside of them?!"  WHAT?!  I'm only 4w and i'm already obsessed with my baby!  And i'm having some symptoms of gas (burping and tooting), nausea, and peeing non stop and she looks at me like i'm crazy! 

I don't know if it's just the hormones right now but I want to cry.  I want to cry at the fact that she makes me feel like i'm a weird-o and at the fact that i'll only get one picture of my baby the whole time.  I'm going to ask the dr tomorrow and then ask if DH can take a picture with his phone of any u/s they do in the office.

Minor freak out mode...lol...and i'm going to assume there will be plenty more to come!

~Julia~ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Only 1 u/s picture the entire pregnancy?!

• Options

awww, she is the weird-o!! 

I got an u/s at 8 weeks and was given 3 pictures so I guess every doctor is different.

You should look into the 3D/4D places in your area.  All the ones in my area (washingon, d.c. metro) also offer 2D's at very reasonable prices, like under $100.  

eta:  I'm not high risk, my dr. did the u/s to date the pregnancy.

photo regina_zpsee0752b3.gif

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP #1 mm/c at 12w1d

• Options
    Can't you request a first trimester screening??  I had an early ultrasound to confirm dates and make sure all was good to go due to a history of high risk issues, but I will also get a 1st tri screening on friday and an anatomy scan at 18 weeks...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    at my dr they wont even see me till 8 weeks and its to have blood work and meet wtih a nurse that is all. I dont get to see a Dr. till 12 weeks and that is when i get my first U/S including pics. then again at 20 weeks i get another u/s and pics. i would ask i am sure you can get pics
  • Options
    I'm ten weeks and already have two pics...and I'm not high risk.  My doctor just wants to make sure the baby is growing as it should.  I think every doctor is different and if your doctor only does one, ask for another.  You may have to pay for it but I can't imagine them saying no.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    With my last pregnancy and the same with this one, there are no small screen ultrasounds. I only get 1 ultrasound at 20 weeks. Heartbeat is heard by doppler. That is how all the doctors are around here unless there is a problem. So you are actually lucky you have small screen ultrasounds as I never get to see the baby except once.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

1 u/s per pregnancy is extremely normal. i was only eligible for one "medically necessary" (anatomy scan) u/s. (but i had more due to complications) 

normal pregnancies usually get one u/s. it also depends on your doctor and your insurance. 

• Options
    Every doctor is different... Even if thy are in the same practice. So what her doctor did and what your doctor will do may not be the same. Talk with your doctor about everything at your appointment and see what they say. Like PP said you can always pay for an elective one. And also, she's the weirdo not you! Enjoy every minute of this pregnancy no matte what she says
  • Options
    I don't know that it's "normal" so much as there's a huge variety practices that OB's and MW's adopt.  Some are more thorough than others.  Some are more laid back than others.  With my DS  I had an u/s to date the pregnancy in mid 1st tri, a 1st tri screening u/s at the end of the first tri, another one the next week because they couldn't get the baby to turn and they find it to be important to see the baby's face or at least the profile, a growth check at the end of the second tri, and one more to check growth in the third tri.  I was not high risk in any way. That's what... 5?  So I guess the average at my office is 4, since I got a bonus one in there because of the profile.
    Anniversary Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    PitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata Dog tickers

~Started TTC 2/09. BFP #1 11/09. EDD 8/7/10. DS born 8/7/10.~
    ~Surprise BFP #2 5/11 while still BF'ing. Natural M/C @ 7w3d.~
    ~BFP #3 8/11. EDD 4/24/12. Heavy bleeding episodes from a lost twin. DD born 4/14/12.~
    ~Started TTC 2/13. BFP #4 3/13. EDD 11/8/13. Hoping for smooth sailing!~
  • Options
    I just moved to Texas but I talked on the phone with the dr. office and they told me they would do a few throughout but I can do as many as I want to pay for!!
  • Options
    I only get the anatomy scan because I'm not high risk. It's a very normal practice.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Options

If you aren't happy, you may want to check out a different practice in your area, but if this is your only complaint, keep in mind that it's more important to have a quality doctor then a picture included with visit!

imageimage

• Options

Hi, this is so weird why she told you that but maybe in your area it may be a bit different. 

When I found out I was pregnant I called to make my 1st appt right away but they told me I have to wait till i'm around 7 to 8 weeks. When I went for my 1st appt, they gave me an ultrasound and they gave me a copy of my ultrasound. I think you can pay for extra if you want more. I also know that my next appt is next Monday and i'm getting another ultrasound and I will want another picture so I think you should inquire about this w/ your Dr.

You can always go to another Dr. dont be afraid you want to be as comfortable as you can throughout your pregnancy and if this is worrying you I would find somewhere else to go.

Also your coworker shes the WEIRDO!!!! She obviously doesnt want that baby because I have never ever heard someone call their child and alien....... dont listen to her. 

We are all obsessed with our babies on here already :) Congrats and good luck and let us know what happens. 

• Options
    Then go pay for a 3D scan.
  • Options

It's perfectly normal and even though I've had 2 so far, both to date the pregnancy and check the baby because it's still too early for the doppler, neither are covered by insurance. Well, they are, but I have to meet my deductible first, then pay 15% and each u/s is about $300 for me.

I'm not sure if it makes a difference that I'm seeing a midwife rather than a normal OB, even though she works out of an OB office.

• Options
    I've had two vaginal us to look for a heartbeat, she found it at last appt so I may not get more, just Doppler. With DS she stopped at 13 weeks and I only had two after that! The gender one and the genetic one.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"