April 2011 Moms
Options

Too distracted to eat?

I am getting a little panicky.  DS used to take a full 10min on both sides.  Now he is eating like 5-7min at a time (during the day), and then trying to roll over like a seal.  So then I keep trying to feed him and I'm worried he's going to turn into a snacker.  Over night he is eating as usual (up twice).

He is BFing and dealing with a food sensitivity (probably milk protein) so his tummy is upset. 

I am now getting worried about milk supply. 

WDTY?  Does this sound like an issue of becomming more socially aware? 

Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Too distracted to eat?

• Options
    Mine is doing the same thing and is about as old as yours.  I'm interested to see the responses.
    natural m/c 7.1.10 :|: sticky baby 4.25.11 :|: #2 due 5.18.13 BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I can't speak to the food sensitivity, but right around 4 months, LO started getting extremely distracted during feedings.  However, she also seems to have gotten more efficient at eating so is taking more faster.  I've started nursing in quiet, dark rooms, but that has only been moderately successful. The only really smooth feed we have is when I nurse her before bedtime.  Otherwise I am lucky to get 5-7 minutes per side. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

CurlGurl, I would love to nurse in private, lol.  But two toddlers to care for makes it impossible most of the time. 

Virginiagirl, how long are you going between feedings?  I'm wondering if baby is ready for longer between feedings.  Also, was just reading about wearing a necklace - something for baby to focus on, rather than trying to see what's happening in the room.  Of course, you know baby is going to be yanking on the necklace!

• Options
    DS has always been a quick eater, generally being done within 10-12 minutes. But lately, he is so easily distracted too. I have to be completely quiet, as when I talk to DH or the dogs, I look down and he is just staring up and me, smiling. I can imagine having toddlers around makes it impossible to be quiet! None of this has seemed to effect my supply though, I hope it's just a phase...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Drew did the same thing around this age and Lizzy is too.  It's a developmental thing - more aware, more curious.  It's really tough this time b/c I have Drew, so like pp, it's tough to get that quiet, calm atmosphere during the day.

I've started to give Drew special activities or toys or snacks when it's nursing time to hopefully keep him engaged and (relatively) quiet.  It works sometimes, and I'll take what I can get.

I wouldn't worry too much about supply, baby will take what they need and your body will keep producing what they need.  I've gone through all sorts of different nursing styles with both of them and as long as I keep going on demand, it's always been fine.

If anything, I'm worried about Lizzy waking up more at night to make up for ounces lost during distracted day time nursing.  Or another way to put it, she could have already dropped one of her night time feeds if she would just eat a little more during the day!  I'd really love some more sleep.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagePAmiler82:

If anything, I'm worried about Lizzy waking up more at night to make up for ounces lost during distracted day time nursing.  Or another way to put it, she could have already dropped one of her night time feeds if she would just eat a little more during the day!  I'd really love some more sleep.

Oh totally!  DS is not doing long stretches of sleep like he was a month ago.  I'm happy if I can get 5-6hrs between feedings, and then another 3.  Some nights it's 4hrs, 4hrs, 2hrs. 

• Options
    SUPER distracted nurser here. Even the back of our couch is a distraction. My voice, everything. How long does this last?
    MacAndCheese
    Mac and cheese lover!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

imageCurlGurl1:
    I can't speak to the food sensitivity, but right around 4 months, LO started getting extremely distracted during feedings.  However, she also seems to have gotten more efficient at eating so is taking more faster.  I've started nursing in quiet, dark rooms, but that has only been moderately successful. The only really smooth feed we have is when I nurse her before bedtime.  Otherwise I am lucky to get 5-7 minutes per side. 

This.  Exactly.  It's been going on for a few weeks now, and I don't think I'm having any supply issues as a result.  I really think DD is just getting awfully efficient at eating. 

imageimageimage
  • Options
    I have a distracted nurser as well. I call it the 'dinner and a show' phase. He has to look around constantly. Sometimes I can get 20 mins but most times I'm fighting to keep him eating at around the 7 minute mark. My oldest did this as well, but I think he was a little older. My daughter is much more focused when eating and would nurse for hours if I let her.
                                                 Rainbow - Married - 5/31/03
                                               Christian Alexander - 11/13/06
                                        Amelia Rose & Owen Thomas - 3/29/11

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie - (eGB2)
    Be The Match - and help save a life by signing up for the National Marrow Donor Program.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"