April 2011 Moms
Options

my job sucks!

Every since I've come back from maternity leave, my bosses have been giving me grief about pumping at work.  They started by asking is my job too much work for me (the week after I came back).  Every chance my director gets she is telling me I need to put LO on formula so I don't have to pump & I can get some rest.  Then last week they asked how many times I pump (3xs - two 15min breaks & during my lunch).  So today, my director pulled me into her office & said it's not fair for me to get a lunch/two 15min breaks & the rest of the team only takes 1 hour lunch.  She told me that the job doesn't have to give me those two breaks & that I need to be respectful of my teams time & the heavy workload we have to carry.  (It really isn't my fault that we had a team of 14 ppl that couldn't keep up with the workload because it was too much & now we are a team of 4 carrying that same workload.  I work my butt off when I'm here!)  She said that I need to pump 1x during my lunch & maybe I can have the one break.  I told her that if I was on the same shift everyday it would be easier for me to regulate my body, but having a different schedule everyday makes it a little hard.  AND why is it ok for the smokers to have two 15mins breaks & there isn't an issue with it?!  I'm just really frustrated right now.  I work really hard & I do my best to make sure my pumping does not interfere with the job that I get paid to do.
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: my job sucks!

• Options
    There are laws that protect you from this kind of treatment.  It is unacceptable in the workplace and in most states it is required that they provide you this time and actually provide you a private place to do it.  Check your state laws.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageucfsteph12262003:
    There are laws that protect you from this kind of treatment.  It is unacceptable in the workplace and in most states it is required that they provide you this time and actually provide you a private place to do it.  Check your state laws.

Ditto, I would contact HR and inform them of the situation.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

President Obama signed the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, H.R. 3590, on March 23 and the Reconciliation Act of 2010, H.R. 4872, on March 30, 2010. (See the combined full text of Public Laws 111-148 and 111-152 here.)  Among many provisions, Section 4207 of the law amends the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) of 1938 (29 U.S. Code 207) to require an employer to provide reasonable break time for an employee to express breast milk for her nursing child for one year after the child's birth each time such employee has need to express milk. The employer is not required to compensate an employee receiving reasonable break time for any work time spent for such purpose. The employer must also provide a place, other than a bathroom, for the employee to express breast milk.  If these requirements impose undue hardship, an employer that employs fewer than 50 employees is not subject to these requirements. The federal requirements shall not preempt a state law that provides greater protections to employees

Georgia Law  -

Ga. Code ? 34-1-6 (1999) allows employers to provide daily unpaid break time for a mother to express breast milk for her infant child. Employers are also required to make a reasonable effort to provide a private location, other than a toilet stall, in close proximity to the workplace for this activity. The employer is not required to provide break time if to do so would unduly disrupt the workplace operations.

Website - https://www.ncsl.org/default.aspx?tabid=14389

• Options

Just offer to have someone bring your baby to work every few hours so you can breastfeed instead.  Easy!  haha

But seriously- HR deserves a visit

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks Ladies.  I'm so frustrated I have been trying not to cry all day.  It upsets me so much that I'm trying to do what I feel is best for my child & this is the way I'm treated.  I will be contacting our HR department.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageucfsteph12262003:
  • Options

imageucfsteph12262003:

This totally! Contact HR  

• Options

https://www.lawyers.com/our-blog/archives/281-Healthcare-Law-Gives-New-Moms-Nursing-Breaks.html

Here, you should forward this on to your director! I'm sure she'll sh*t her pants!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"