Montessori vs Reggio Emilia? — The Bump
Pre-School

Montessori vs Reggio Emilia?

What are the true differences bw these 2 programs? They seem very similar. Does anyone know anything specific about them?

I am interested to hear some thoughts...

Re: Montessori vs Reggio Emilia?

• I believe Montessori schools just "guide" the child in to doing things.  As opposed to a regular school where you have a schedule of what time they'll do what, assignments, and so forth.  It's more of a child discovering things.  From what I've understood of a couple friends of mine that take their kids to that.  I've never heard of Reggio?

Personally, it's not for our family. We like the regular school routine.   

BabyFruit TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers image image
  • They are quite different...Reggio Emilia is really big on pretend play--and deep play--keeping materials out as long as possible so kids can create and create again, constructing new knowledge. Montessori stresses specific tasks with work projects--often the work is practical work-good for motor skills, cognition. Preschools "do" Montessori differently, so some will discourage pretend play with the work jobs/materials.

Visit any programs you are interested in, since each school carries out the philosophies of Montessori or Reggio Emilia a little differently. :)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerv
  • Loading the player...
  • imagellamakins:

They are quite different...Reggio Emilia is really big on pretend play--and deep play--keeping materials out as long as possible so kids can create and create again, constructing new knowledge. Montessori stresses specific tasks with work projects--often the work is practical work-good for motor skills, cognition. Preschools "do" Montessori differently, so some will discourage pretend play with the work jobs/materials.

Visit any programs you are interested in, since each school carries out the philosophies of Montessori or Reggio Emilia a little differently. :)

YES!  They are quite different.  With regards to play, everything in a Montessori setting has a specific goal/ending.  RE encourages deep, involved, abstract, pretend play.  RE encourages exploration of materials.  Montessori demonstrates to the child how materials are used and requires the child to use the materials in the same manner to develop new skills.  Skill development is more integrated in an RE approach.  There are plenty of other differences.  I agree with visiting your specific options - there aren't governing boards for either, I don't believe, so the word itself doesn't fully explain an individual program.

• Thank you for the great responses! I knew they were both "child-led" philosophies, but I couldn't quite grasp the differences. I agree about checking out the schools, I know some Montessori still follow a "schedule" to keep the day moving...

Thanks again, I appreciate it!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards