April 2011 Moms

headed to America: what must have baby products do we need?

We'll be visiting my family in the US for the first time with LO in just a few weeks and it will be my first trip home in nearly a year (yay!!). Since I am living abroad and couldn't make it home during the later stage of my pregnancy, my family really wants to throw us a belated shower/meet the baby party while we are there and have asked us to create a registry...

The catch is everything needs to be able to fit into a large suitcase so that we can take it back with us either at the end of this trip or when my parents come over in a few months to visit. We are pretty set on clothes, so I'm trying to come up with toys, books, or any other baby gear items that we may find useful (anything and everything goes, even toiletries!). There are a lot of things that are sold in the US that we can't find here in England, but I don't necessarily know about them since I spent my entire pregnancy here! Any recommendations for me?! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: headed to America: what must have baby products do we need?

• I would look at books - see what you can get there and here - but maybe different versions?

I remember that I picked up a Harry Potter book in England and it was different than the version here in the US. Stuff like that is neat to look at the differences (at least to me)

Otherwise - maybe books or items related to the state(s)  you grew up in, so your little one can learn about it? 

imageimage
  • Lamaze brand toys!!!  LO LOVES them!  He has Jacque the Peacock, Marina the Mermaid, and Mortimer the Moose. 

BFP#1 "Watermelon" born 3/2011
    BFP#2 "Pumpkin" 7/14/12 ~ EDD 3/23/13 ~ Natural M/C 8/3/12 @ 7 weeks
    BFP#3 "Pineapple"  born 4/2013
    BFP#4 "Grapefruit" EDD 3/29/16
  • Loading the player...
  • Could you ship the items back?  You don't want to go over your weight limit on the plane, also the last time I sent a package to England was over $15 years ago so I'm not sure on the postal rates.

I second the Lamaze toys, my family in England always asked us to send shoes because they were expensive over there.  if you got books here you can send them book rate. 

Mom to 4 wonderful daughters
                                 Breanna, Ellie and 
                                 our 2 rainbow babies.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • i live overseas too and before we moved here we shipped alot of boxes(15). we paid about 15 dollars for a big big box u should consider shipping some boxes back :)

Photobucket
  • Honestly, as someone who goes back and forth to the UK a lot, not much.  The clothes are much better there (Hello, Next!!).  I am trying to think of some stuff that you can't get over there.  It's early yet.  Give me a bit and I am sure I can some up with some things for you.
    photo db44578a-7b8c-4755-ad7b-b5de3ca46717.jpg

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Maybe teething gel or tablets.  I am forever sending those over there.  Shoe are difficult because you won't know what size.  Books might be good. 

Do you own a region free DVD player?  If you don't, I would get one.  I picked up one from Amazon for abour $80 from Spain.  It is awesome, we don't have to worry about where the DVDs came from.  If you have one of those, you get DVDs here gthat are watchable there and they won't weigh down your suitcases.  (Confession: I bought it so we can watch EastEnders and DH can watch Coronation Street.)

I can't think of much else. 

photo db44578a-7b8c-4755-ad7b-b5de3ca46717.jpg

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"