Trouble TTC

Metformin makes my belly hurt :(

Does anyone know how I can make this go away? I eat when I take it.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Metformin makes my belly hurt :(

• How much do you take?  I take the extended release...I took 500mg for 2 weeks, 1000 for 2 weeks and am now up to 1500mg.  The stomach has gotten better after  period of time at each level....Now I just usually have 1 tough bout in the morning. I take mine at bedtime. Also if you avoid fatty foods and sugary foods that may help. So far it has helped to regulate me :)

Let me know if you have more questions.

A.

• Hey sweets! I had a TERRIBLE time when I first started Metformin...at the time DH and I were dating and I would be up on the phone with him for about two hours every night in tears because it hurt THAT bad.

I was also having gastrointestinal issues because of it...what I can say is that for me, the longer I took it the better it got...I don't have any side effects now, which is saying a lot because I used to be bed ridden when taking it!

Hang in there hun - it DOES get better!

08.2008 | Diagnosed with PCOS
    11.2011 | First appointment with RE
    12.2011 | HSG reveals 100% blockages in both tubes
    02.2012 | Laparoscopy & Hysteroscopy to unblock tubes...success!

{ BFP # 1 | April 1, 2012 }
    Jonah Alexander is here! Born 12.07.12 @ 39w3d

{ BFP # 2 | May 22, 2013 }
    Chemical Pregnancy :(

{ BFP # 3 | February 12, 2014 }
    So far, so good! We love you, little peanut!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • When I started Metformin I had the same problem. It really sucks. My only advice would be to avoid fatty or sugary foods, like PP said. Also, my pharmacist said it was okay to take pepto if it's really upsetting your belly.
  • I have found that taking it a half hour after my meal made a big difference. 
    At first I would take it just before I ate and I would get warning "gurgles" even before I was done. Then I'd be stuck on the toilet for the next hour. But taking it half hour afterward I am fine.
     This may also be because I've been taking it for about 6 weeks now and my body is adjusting, but it's worth a try. 

Good luck! It does get better!
  • imageams_moves:

How much do you take?  I take the extended release...I took 500mg for 2 weeks, 1000 for 2 weeks and am now up to 1500mg.  The stomach has gotten better after  period of time at each level....Now I just usually have 1 tough bout in the morning. I take mine at bedtime. Also if you avoid fatty foods and sugary foods that may help. So far it has helped to regulate me :)

A.

Thanks ladies. I am so glad I am not the only one. I take 500 mg in the morning and 500 mg at night. I have noticed that the more sugar and carbs that I eat, the worse it gets. I have only been taking it for a couple weeks, but I really thought that it would have gotten better by now.  

• imageLadybug720:
    imageams_moves:

How much do you take?  I take the extended release...I took 500mg for 2 weeks, 1000 for 2 weeks and am now up to 1500mg.  The stomach has gotten better after  period of time at each level....Now I just usually have 1 tough bout in the morning. I take mine at bedtime. Also if you avoid fatty foods and sugary foods that may help. So far it has helped to regulate me :)

A.

Thanks ladies. I am so glad I am not the only one. I take 500 mg in the morning and 500 mg at night. I have noticed that the more sugar and carbs that I eat, the worse it gets. I have only been taking it for a couple weeks, but I really thought that it would have gotten better by now.  

Hang in there! It will get better!

08.2008 | Diagnosed with PCOS
    11.2011 | First appointment with RE
    12.2011 | HSG reveals 100% blockages in both tubes
    02.2012 | Laparoscopy & Hysteroscopy to unblock tubes...success!

{ BFP # 1 | April 1, 2012 }
    Jonah Alexander is here! Born 12.07.12 @ 39w3d

{ BFP # 2 | May 22, 2013 }
    Chemical Pregnancy :(

{ BFP # 3 | February 12, 2014 }
    So far, so good! We love you, little peanut!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Can you try taking it right before bed? Lots of medications upset my stomach so I always try to take them at night so if they hurt my belly it is while I'm sleeping. Hang in there! Hope you feel better soon! 
  • Make sure you are not eating too many carbs when you take it. That causes a lot of tummy issues with metformin.
    **Bonnie**
    Married Sept 13, 2009
    TTC since Jan 2010
    Diagnosed w/ PCOS Oct 2010
    1500mg metformin
    SA 05/25/11 morphology @ 10%
    HSG 06/02/11, tubes were clear, uterine septum discovered
    06/30/11 Hysteroscopy, found a polyp blocking R fallopian tube
    07/20/11 Successful surgery to remove polyp and uterine septum!
    Sept/Oct cycle-Femara IUI turned into TI cycle= cancelled due to unresponsive follies
    09/28/11: dx w/ MTHFR (cc)
    10/22/11: IUI #1 w/ Femara + Menopur + trigger+ diluted hcg shots= BFN :-(
    03/25/12: IUI #2 w/ Femara + Menopur + trigger+progesterone= BFN
    Starting to pursue adoption
  • imageislandgirl80:
    I have found that taking it a half hour after my meal made a big difference. 
    At first I would take it just before I ate and I would get warning "gurgles" even before I was done. Then I'd be stuck on the toilet for the next hour. But taking it half hour afterward I am fine.
     This may also be because I've been taking it for about 6 weeks now and my body is adjusting, but it's worth a try. 

Good luck! It does get better!

This exactly for me too. My stomach would go insane if I took it with food - when I take it a half hour after, I rarely have a reaction.  I'm on 1000MG ER. 

eta: I used to be on 500mg 2x a day and switched to 2 500mg ER together 30 minutes after dinner and the difference on my stomach is huge. I used to dread Metformin time.  

TTC #1 since 5/10 BFP 4/9/11 Natural M/C 5/15/11 Hypothyroidism and PCOS Clomid 1/13...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"