April 2011 Moms
Options

Nothing like walking your baby through a gang fight. Seriously.

Okay, so before I've talked about how I live in this idyllic small town, which it is, but even small towns have gang activity these days. This is crazy.

I met a friend at around 6:30 for Taco Tuesday at a restaurant that has $1 fish tacos on Tuesday and left the restaurant around 8. (I walked and had Liam in the stroller.) The Art Center where Jared teaches is on the way home, so I stopped there to see him.  Jared was done teaching at 8:30. So, at maybe 8:40 I'm walking home with Liam in the stroller, and Jared waves as he drives by, thinking he'll see me when I'm home in fifteen minutes. (It's light here until at least 9 p.m. since we're so far north, so it's completely normal to be walking home at this time, even with a baby.)

This teenager is running at me, but I figure, no big deal. He slows down and he's walking behind me, and he's talking into a cell phone. All at once a bunch of teenagers show up from all directions, and I overhear stuff like, "They're coming. They wanna know if you n-----ers are bangin' blue or red" (like, if they're Crips or Bloods).

Then the guy behind me is all, "Shut the f---- up. We're behind a lady with a stroller." So I turned on the next street I could. Liam was getting fussy anyway, and I called Jared and just said, "Liam's really fussy. Can you come with the baby seat and get us? I'll be walking up 8th St."

He had to think I was NUTS. I was seriously three blocks from home. The next thing I know, a police car is FLYING down a residential street where the speed limit is 25 mph. I honestly think he would have hit someone crossing the street. (And if it weren't for me being weirded out by the gang stuff, that's normally where I would cross to go up the street with the "nice" sidewalk.)

I can't believe this. Seriously! I don't know what I wanted you guys to say, but I'm just in shock. And I feel like I should have turned off sooner, maybe and called the police (after calling Jared), but my "mommy instincts" were just to get Liam and me out of there ASAP. And obviously someone must have called the police immediately, too... But, wow!

MacAndCheese
Mac and cheese lover!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Nothing like walking your baby through a gang fight. Seriously.

• Options

Oh I'm sorry that sounds scary.

When my dd was 6 mo old there was a gang fight right outside her bedroom window. There were 25 Hispanic and African American gang members fighting each other. Somebody pulled out a gun and started shooting.  A bullet went through my dd room. Thank God she didn't get hurt. The next day we moved from that apartment.

imageLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm glad you guys are safe.  This is one of the reasons I don't venture out much without DH, because he carries (legally).  You never know what's going to happen.  Love to you and Liam.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    WOW that's scary glad you are both safe.
                                                 Mom to 4 wonderful daughters
                                 Breanna, Ellie and 
                                 our 2 rainbow babies.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    OMG that is so scary.  I would've done the same exact thing as you & tried to get out of there.  I'm so glad that you & cute Liam were out of harms way.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Good mommy instincts to get him out of that situation - glad you are both okay but sounds like a scary night!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    That makes me so sad and makes me want to move even farther out into the middle of nowhere.  I'm glad that you guys are safe.  The idea that the one boy was concerned about the lady with the baby makes me even more sad.  Like he knows that there is something wrong with what is happening but can't get out of it.  Or maybe I am just reading to much into it.  Good mommy instincts!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Yikes! So glad you and Liam are ok!
    image Uploaded with ImageShack.us Daisypath Anniversary tickers image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"