Pregnant after a Loss

8 weeks pregnant, measuring 6 weeks ADVICE!

So i had my second doctors appointment this past week, and i am 8 weeks at 3 days (on that date) so we did the ultrasound (vaginal) and we saw the babies heartbeat this time (which we did not the first time) but the only thing was the baby was STILL measuring at 6 weeks! The doctor said the baby could be in a weird spot, but he didn't get detailed with it and told me he'd bring me back next week to see. Does this mean i could be having a miscarriage? I have had no bleeding or anything! i feel completely fine! I'm so nervous, because i may be early along, but i feel so attached already... please comment with any experience/advice thanks <3 

Re: 8 weeks pregnant, measuring 6 weeks ADVICE!

• Thanks for moving over here.  If you could please delete your post on M/PL, it would be a big help and the wonderful ladies on here will be able to help you better.  Thank you.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    ? to Loss+M/PL+TTCAL+PgAL+PAL

PgAL/PAL welcome
  • Seeing the heartbeat is a good sign. With my first pregnancy, I measured 6 weeks when I knew I had to be 8, but there was never a heartbeat even after checking multiple times and waiting several weeks to be sure. My OB was hopeful even without a heartbeat after the first u/s, since measurements that early are a matter of millimeters, she encouraged me to get a second opinion at a place with more advanced u/s equipment. Ask your OB for a referral to an MFM and see if they can get a better look, sometimes the in-office machines are just very inaccurate, especially this early. Even if this is going to be a miscarriage, at least you'll know. Waiting in limbo can be worse than finding out that things are going badly.

I am not trying to give you false hope, measuring 2 weeks behind can definitely be a bad sign, and as your doctor said it could be a miscarriage. My miscarriage was "missed" so I had no bleeding, spotting or cramping, no outward signs anything was wrong, even 5 full weeks after the baby had stopped growing, so please just prepare yourself for either outcome. I certainly hope that the measurements were off and you see growth soon.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Unfortunately you just have to wait and see, there is no way for us to know what will happen with your pregnancy. Every situation is different and there is no way for us to predict what the outcome of your situation will be. I never had a heartbeat with both of my pregnancies that ended so I have not had the experience you are having now.

Now please, please, please go back to the mc/pl board and delete your post there.

BFP 7/27/10, no hb discovered 9/3/10, natural m/c 9/17/10
    BFP #2- 2/1/11,bleeding- 2/6/11, natural m/c @ 5wks
    BFP #3- 4/29/11 - DS born 12/31/11
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    TTCAL buddies with LilMaggs and psumel13
  • My DS measured a full week behind at my first u/s with him.  I knew exactly when I got pregnant, and there's no way it could have been later (as we didn't have sex after the day I ovulated).  Sometimes it just happens.  Seeing a heartbeat at all is a good sign.

And please, don't tell a woman who has had a loss that "everything happens for a reason."  It is salt in an open wound, and completely not helpful.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimageimage
  • Being in limbo is always scary and as hard as it is to wait it out, that's really all you can do.  When you had your first u/s, you were 6 weeks pregnant and it showed an embryo measuring  6 weeks?  I'm just clarifying since you said you didn't see a heartbeat.  If you are just going by dates, you may have ovulated late and might not be as far along as you think.  Even a week makes a huge, huge difference that early on.  

It seems kind of crappy of your doctor to be so vague about what is going on.  If I were you, I would probably ask to have betas drawn so you aren't waiting a full week without any attempt at answers.   I hope your ultrasound next week is much more encouraging.

If you do end up getting bad news, I hope you can turn to the other boards for support.  They have gotten most of us here through our worst days.  I hope you realize that the only reason your post wasn't welcomed on the miscarriage/pregnancy loss board is because it is a very safe place for those who are confused and heartbroken after their losses.  

BFP#1 11-26-10 MMC 1-13-11
    BFP#2 6-8-11 Eleanor Beatrice born 2-15-12
    BFP#3 9-4-13 Benjamin Lee born 4-28-14

• Yes! it's kicking my butt! but i know stress isn't good! So i'm trying to stay as calm as possible! But yes at my FIRST u/s i WAS 6 weeks but with no heartbeat i went back 2 weeks later for another one which was making me 8 weeks and there WAS a heartbeat, but the baby measure at 6 weeks! I'm just hoping something was off, even tho i know my exact dates for my last period, i'm praying for a miracle 
  • I think it depends how well you know your cycles.  You could just be off on the dates.   With my first m/c I thought I was almost 9 weeks when I started spotting.  I went to the ER... we saw a heartbeat but the baby measured 6 weeks.  The ER dr said I was going to miscarry... I did about 2 days later.  Don't lose hope though... I know it's hard.  Especially since your doctor wants to see you back.  It was clear for me... the ER dr said my cervix was opening.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The date for your last period is irrelevant. Your ovulation date is what matters and it sounds like you weren't tracking that. Regardless if it measured 6 weeks 2 weeks ago, I doubt your dates are off.

They could just be off on the measurement this time.

It's not a great sign that LO is measuring the same as 2 weeks ago, but a HB is a good sign. I hope it works out for you.

BabyFruit Ticker}
  • imageitsmegin:

Seeing the heartbeat is a good sign. With my first pregnancy, I measured 6 weeks when I knew I had to be 8, but there was never a heartbeat even after checking multiple times and waiting several weeks to be sure. My OB was hopeful even without a heartbeat after the first u/s, since measurements that early are a matter of millimeters, she encouraged me to get a second opinion at a place with more advanced u/s equipment. Ask your OB for a referral to an MFM and see if they can get a better look, sometimes the in-office machines are just very inaccurate, especially this early. Even if this is going to be a miscarriage, at least you'll know. Waiting in limbo can be worse than finding out that things are going badly.

I am not trying to give you false hope, measuring 2 weeks behind can definitely be a bad sign, and as your doctor said it could be a miscarriage. My miscarriage was "missed" so I had no bleeding, spotting or cramping, no outward signs anything was wrong, even 5 full weeks after the baby had stopped growing, so please just prepare yourself for either outcome. I certainly hope that the measurements were off and you see growth soon.

Exactly all of this for me. 

9.20.10 Natural M/C
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"