April 2011 Moms
Options

feeling guilty

My baby was born with a heart condition and was not able to latch, so I have been EP since the day he was born. DS has heart surgery last month and is now eating a lot more (thank god!).  My supply cannot keep up with him.  So today I start my transition to formula.  I thought I would be excited because I HATE pumping with a passion, but I feel SO GUILTY that I am going to be feeding him formula.  Anyone feel this way when they transitioned to formula??
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: feeling guilty

• Options

I also felt a lot of guilt when I switched to formula.  I switched much earlier than you but that's neither here nor there.  Some people may not agree with me but IMO:

You did the best you could to care for your baby.  A happy baby needs a happy mommy and just because things didn't go according to plan, doesn't mean it's wrong.  There is so much more that goes in to a healthy and happy baby than BM or Formula.  Any BM is beneficial and you should be proud of what you could do.  You can still enjoy feeding you baby and the pump can go in a closet.

• Options
    imageJaneBeam:

I also felt a lot of guilt when I switched to formula.  I switched much earlier than you but that's neither here nor there.  Some people may not agree with me but IMO:

You did the best you could to care for your baby.  A happy baby needs a happy mommy and just because things didn't go according to plan, doesn't mean it's wrong.  There is so much more that goes in to a healthy and happy baby than BM or Formula.  Any BM is beneficial and you should be proud of what you could do.  You can still enjoy feeding you baby and the pump can go in a closet.

Yep, this! Be proud that you did and are doing the best you can! :)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hey, 3+ months of BM is nothing to sneeze at.  I think it's great that you were able to do that much having to EP. I'm not sure I could go that long EPing.  The most important thing is that your baby is healthy.  I'm glad the surgery went well and that he is doing better.  Don't feel bad about the formula - feel great that you have a healthy baby  :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Don't feel guilty! Formula is NOT the devil or something to be ashamed of!! You breastfed for as long as you could - so way to go!!!! Seriously - formula has come such a long way over the years, I don't feel guilty at all about it. DD still gets 99% breastmilk, but I am sure I'll move her to formula soon, simply because I AM TIRED. And I want DH to take over the feeding duties more at night.

My 3 y/o son was on formula from 3 mts on, and he's talented and gifted material. :):) 

• Options
    EP is HARD WORK! Just pumping 3-4 times a day during the work week gets to me so I can't imagine doing it 24/7 for over 3 months. I give you big props for lasting this long. And like PP said...happy mommy equals a happy baby!
  • Options
    Thanks for all of the encouragement! I really appreciate it! Will let you know how the first formula feeding goes!
  • Options
    imageJaneBeam:

This exactly.  It's okay to feel guilty.  There's nothing wrong with feeling how you feel-it's how you feel. But try to be happy!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I felt the EXACT same way!!! P latched great from day 1 and we went 2mos EBF. I had supply issues and he wasn't gaining weight so I had to supplement. I cried through the first bottle, it was awful!  We went another 2 mos on pumpedBM and formula, but he stopped BFing (instant gratification from the bottle!) and when I went back to work my supply tanked even more and I eventually stopped pumping.  4 mos of BM is an accomplishment, so I focus on that. He is very happy and healthy (and perfectly chunky!) so I know I did my job  Smile

So it's natural to be sad or feel guilty, but you did great by sticking with it for that long! (especially pumping! I HATED it!!)

• Options
    You do what you have to do.  You were able to give him BM this long and that was a great start.  he will do fine on FF.  HUGS
                                                 Mom to 4 wonderful daughters
                                 Breanna, Ellie and 
                                 our 2 rainbow babies.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageSwissMs99:
    EP is HARD WORK! Just pumping 3-4 times a day during the work week gets to me so I can't imagine doing it 24/7 for over 3 months. I give you big props for lasting this long. And like PP said...happy mommy equals a happy baby!

THIS! Way to go momma for as long as you did!!!  

• Options
    My baby has a heart condition too and I have been pumping since he was born. He has his surgery coming up in Oct and I was wondering what will happen while he is recovering. I pump 5x a day to keep up with him and it is really getting old. I do have a lot of guilt when I find myself wishing I was done with BF because I hate pumping. I would have the same feelings as you do going to formula, but we have to remember we are doing the best we can. Heck I felt guilty not being able to BF directly like something was wrong with us.
  • Options
    I am going through having to start supplementing now too. I feel so devastated and heartbroken. but keep reminding myself that it is what is best for my LO! and that I have done all that I could!!
  • Options
    ok we survived our first bottle of formula!  DS spit it out at first but was fine through the rest.  THanks for all of your messages, they made me feel better!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"