November 2011 Moms
Options

Need suggestions for cleaning mold from diaper bag :(

Has anyone ever had to deal with mold in a diaper bag (or purse?)  I had a leaking sippy cup of DS's (water) in my diaper bag and neglected to clean out all the wet stuff from the bottom of the bag. Now it smells like mold and I can't for the life of me clean it out!  It is a Ju Ju Be bag and was pretty expensive, so I don't want to just throw it out.

I can't see any mold, it just stinks! Also the tag says not to machine wash, so I haven't tried that.

Has anyone dealt with this? Any suggestions? I really want to keep the bag! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Need suggestions for cleaning mold from diaper bag :(

• Options

Too be perfectly honest! If you smell mold and tried cleaning it by using either Lysol or Pine sol then no matter what kind of bag it is it?s not worth your health or your child?s just so you can keep it. I'd throw it out then get another one; but, this time put a plastic bag inside to put things that could possibly spill or leak just to be safe.

Yours as well as your child?s safety should be of more importance than any non-expensive or even expensive diaper bag to you - ARE THEY NOT? You decide!

• Options
    imageHK2mom4:

Too be perfectly honest! If you smell mold and tried cleaning it by using either Lysol or Pine sol then no matter what kind of bag it is it?s not worth your health or your child?s just so you can keep it. I'd throw it out then get another one; but, this time put a plastic bag inside to put things that could possibly spill or leak just to be safe.

Yours as well as your child?s safety should be of more importance than any non-expensive or even expensive diaper bag to you - ARE THEY NOT? You decide!

Ouch! Obviously I am trying to find a way to clean the bag, I don't intend to use it with mold in it! Thanks for your advice, not sure where you got that I was putting my child's health or safety at risk because I wanted to keep an expensive diaper bags... This is why I am looking for suggestions on how to clean it!!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would try putting it in the wash....mine is hand wash only, and I have thrown it in the machine before and air dried it. It was fine Smile
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    Could you use bleach on the inside? Some are not material that can be bleached some are. If you can't but can somehow wash it use vinegar it kills the mildew.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Turn the bag inside out. Take white vinegar and heat it up, place in a spray bottle and spray the bag. Let it sit in the sun to air it out for a few days. That should take care of it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image.
  • Options
    Oxyclean and then turn it inside out and dry in the sun?

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you all for the suggestions! I will be trying these today, hopefully I will be able to clean out this bag!
  • Options

imageAugustbride:
    If you can't but can somehow wash it use vinegar it kills the mildew.

Try the vinegar, and then sun dry. It should take care of everything.

• Options

Yup, vinegar, turn inside out and sun dry. That should do it!

And no, you won't be putting your child's health at risk if you can clean the mold out. I think pp was thinking about black mold- which is a WHOLE different story. And probably NOT what you have in your diaper bag. lol

• Options
    I would still put it in the washing machine.  Put on delicate and hot water - just don't put it in the dryer - put it outside in the sun to dry. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    DMoney will be a kickass big sister
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"