Pre-School and Daycare

WTH can I do with DD's fine wispy hair?

DD's hair is funny. It's really fine and wispy.  Some days it is nice and shiny and curls up really cute, and other days it looks frizzy and crazy.  I can't get her bangs to lay nice like they used to (she now has my widows peak and a cowlick right next to it. lol)

It's just now growing really well lengthwise so I haven't had it professionally cut and I dont want to until it fills in more (I have read that the "haircuts make hair grow in fuller" thing is a total myth).

Anyway, I've been trimming the ends and cutting her bangs myself but I have no idea how to style it besides a ponytail (which lasts maybe an hour tops). She wont even let me brush it out most days! lol 

Should I let her bangs grow out or keep cutting them?  Any other suggestions? I dont want her to look a hot mess when she starts preschool next month.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: WTH can I do with DD's fine wispy hair?

• My DD has this type of hair early on...she had a mop from day one.  We never cut bangs b/c they would just be fuzzy.  Ultimately it grew to where we can part it down the middle and it shapes her face.  It was at this point/length (around 2yrs) that we got a professional haircut to even it all out on hte sides of her face and around the back.  I don't know if that helps, but that was our strategy.  Now her hair is getting thicker and thicker...we always need restraint of some kind (bow, clip, barette..etc.).  Without restraint, she is the 'hot mess' you mentioned above.  GL! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think the thing is if you cut off all their hair, it will grow back thicker. It's true though. My friend's family, this is what they do to the girls and they have the most beautiful think hair.  My Dad did it with my Sister, only because he screwed up a haircut he gave her, and it grew back thick!  She had hair just like mine.  Fine.

It's only hair, it'll grow back. 

BabyFruit TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers image image
  • Loading the player...
  • This is what i do to DD's hair. Her hair is really thin as well, and doesn't last long in a pony tail.  I make pretty high pigtails using the thin clear elastics that gives you 100 for like 2 bucks.  On the last loop, I don't pull it all the way through and then I take the ends and wrap it around the elastic, and then clip a bow to secure the wrapped part to her head.

I (personally) think she looks adorable and we get lots of compliments.  And the best part is that it is super fast and lasts all day.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This might be a better pic of the hair.  Ignore the funny face she is making.  She is blowing out her birthday candles :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemabma80:

I think the thing is if you cut off all their hair, it will grow back thicker. It's true though. 

This isn't true. It's an "old wives tale". My parents did it to us when we were little too. Didn't make a difference in our hair texture. My sis has super thick hair, and I have a LOT of hair, but it is fine.........

I would get her hair cut so you could get rid of any unruly ends, etc. and just so it has a "shape". Also, you may want to try one of those spray on mousse products for kids or a leave-in conditioner/styler. It might help give her a "style".

GL! 

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • I have very fine hair, and wore bangs for years and years.  It was so hard growing them out!  I've never cut bangs on either girl.  DD#1 now wears handbands all. the. time.  Maybe that would help if you decide to grow the bangs out?  DD#2's hair is growing in much more fine and wispy than DD#.  I just put a little ponytail to keep the bangs and stuff from falling in her eyes, using one of the cheapy elastic bands.  Ultimately I hope she will head down the headband road as well:)
  • In kids, nothing will make it grow in thicker than it is.

However.... When babies are born all the follicles aren't producing hair yet, so as they get older it will be thicker the closer you get to the scalp. It looks thicker after cutting it because you've cut off all the wispies ad now more hair is ending at the same length. I'll give you a visual-

Before cutting the hair is something like this at the ends:

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

IIIIII  IIIIII  IIIIII  IIIIII  IIIIII  IIIIII

IIII    IIII    IIII    IIII    IIII    IIII

II      II      II      II      II      II

I       I       I       I      I        I   

After a trim it will be more like this (or like just the top row depending how much you cut):

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

IIIIII  IIIIII  IIIIII  IIIIII  IIIIII  IIIIII

So there isn't any more hair than you started with, it just looks like there is because there aren't all those stragglers at the bottom. The very ends of baby hair that hasn't been cut are also more prone to tangles and snarls, so getting rid of them can make that whole doing her hair thing in the morning go a LOT smoother for both of you.

My DD has very fine curly hair, and when she doesn't wear it down it's usually in a bun on top of her head, braided, or in pigtails. 

• imageHarrietNJMommy:
    imagemabma80:

I think the thing is if you cut off all their hair, it will grow back thicker. It's true though. 

This isn't true. It's an "old wives tale". My parents did it to us when we were little too. Didn't make a difference in our hair texture. My sis has super thick hair, and I have a LOT of hair, but it is fine.........

I would get her hair cut so you could get rid of any unruly ends, etc. and just so it has a "shape". Also, you may want to try one of those spray on mousse products for kids or a leave-in conditioner/styler. It might help give her a "style".

GL! 

Thank you for backing me up on the old wives tale thing. That is what I read; that people thing it's true but the hair just happens to grow in thicker because of the normal growth spurts around this age.

DD had really bad cradle cap until she was 2 and then I finally got rid of it, so I like to joke that it stunted her hair growth. lol

I do try and trim the ends once every 2 months or so. I use a 2 in 1 shampoo and a detangler spray when I comb it out.  I guess i'll just wait and try to grow her bangs out.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"