Military Families

Army Chapter 8

Hey guys.

Little backstory: I've been AD in the Army for eight years. Currently pregnant with number two and after a lot of deliberation, I've decided to drop a CH 8 packet. I'm due in March and my ETS date is December 2012, and I initially had decided to just finish it out, but, well, yeah. I'm done. Totally burnt out and there's much money to be made in the private sector with my experience. 

That being said, is there any one on here that has recently undergone or is undergoing a Chapter 8? If so, what are your recommendations? What's your advice? I'll admit that I find the notion of leaving the life I've known for the last eight years a little daunting, but in the long run, my family and my sanity need to stop taking a backseat.

Thanks in advance! :)

Momma to Chunky Monkey 9/2009 *** Angel Baby 5/2011 *** Growing Bean 3/2012 Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Army Chapter 8

• I would start applying to jobs now.  This is a tough economy, and while your military experience and training may be great, a lot of private sector employers don't even understand what you may have done in the military, and it may not all translate to a new career field.  It's a big transition so make sure you are prepared!
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers

SaveSave
  • I didn't Chapter out as an O, but I basically did the same thing with an "Unqualified Resignation". I was well past my ADSO though and living in "Indefinite" land. My ETS date ended up being June 22 2011.

My advice would be to take alll the classes, briefings, lectures, programs, etc that you possibly can while preparing for your ETS and clearing. It took me a good month to go through everything that Ft Hood offered. Even if I wasn't completely interested (I am now a SAHM), I think it was still worth it to get resume advice, get all the info on the VA, etc. So many of those briefings are optional- but well worth your time.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I forgot to add.... while this is absolutely crappy- it was my experience as well as the experience of others that made the same choice we did to leave AD.

Be prepared to be treated like trash, even from those that normally treat you like a pro. As an NCO you are used to being treated with respect. For some reason, once people know you are leaving because of your kids, you get knocked down about 15 levels on the totem pole. You may be blessed with lots of stories of "I had kids and stayed in, what are you doing!?", and may find yourself having to explain your reasoning a zillion times to higher ups that just don't get it.

I'll never forget one situation. I was talking to a COL- who was my mentor for years. She asked why I was resigning. I explained that I had no family care plan- my parents are deceased, I have no siblings, and DH's family isn't much of an option because of their current situation. At the time, there was no viable option for childcare for DS if I was to receive deployment orders since my husband is also AD. Her reply? "If you really wanted to stay, you would make it work." Yeah, easy for her to say with 5 siblings to leave her kids with when she deployed. I guess she is right- I wouldn't want to leave my child with strangers, so I must not want it bad enough.

Those that are higher ranking, female, and have kids are just not going to understand your choice. Do the usual courtesy conversation, but in your mind tell them to buzz off. :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageSwimChick247:

Hey guys.

Little backstory: I've been AD in the Army for eight years. Currently pregnant with number two and after a lot of deliberation, I've decided to drop a CH 8 packet. I'm due in March and my ETS date is December 2012, and I initially had decided to just finish it out, but, well, yeah. I'm done. Totally burnt out and there's much money to be made in the private sector with my experience. 

That being said, is there any one on here that has recently undergone or is undergoing a Chapter 8? If so, what are your recommendations? What's your advice? I'll admit that I find the notion of leaving the life I've known for the last eight years a little daunting, but in the long run, my family and my sanity need to stop taking a backseat.

Thanks in advance! :)

1-Make sure that you read the regulation ((AR 635-200)) and understand the provisions of the chapter 8.
    2-DO NOT cash in your leave.  You only get base pay when you do that ((minus deductions, etc)) and that sucks.  Take all the terminal leave you can.
    3-ACAP ACAP ACAP.

If you really wanna be sneaky about it ((and the situation applies)), finish the pregnancy on AD and then wait to get counseled for FCP.  That will give you some time to get your affairs in order and shop for a job without pressure from loss of income and insurance and let's face it, having babies is expensive.  If baby is due in March, then NLT May you should have a FCP.  If you don't, involuntary chapter ((separation pay?)). 
    That one falls under CH 5-8, same regulation. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for the great advice everyone!

Yeah, I plan on spending the next six months doing ALL of the classes that ACS will offer. Thankfully, my husband and I are not hurting financially, as he's just signed with a DoD contractor for a salary that pays $50K more than what we make combined right now. (We're dual, and he ETS's in 90 days.) It's looking more and more like I'll be a SAHM for the time being and working on my Masters. Either way, I'm still going to be dropping resumes with the major companies (GD, CACI, L3, etc.) and see if they bite.

Definitely WON'T be cashing in leave! Everyone I've spoken to that's ETSed has said not to do it, haha. So for the time being, I'm just burning up leave here and there. :)

As for the being treated like crap, thankfully, my support channel has been phenomenal. I'm at Fort Meade, so this place is strictly strategic. I've seen more of the ME in my eight years than some of the senior NCOs here (there's some who still haven't deployed AT ALL). My 1SG and I were at Hood in the same unit and we deployed together and everything, so he's incredibly understanding and not giving me the side eye for getting out. If anything, he looked heartbroken about me getting out. And my former commander has been nothing but amazing. I guess my 1SG told him that I dropped my packet and he immediately went into my office, congratulated me on the pregnancy  and getting out and told me that if I ever needed a letter of reference, he'd be more than happy to write it. As for my current commander, well. Truth be told, he's one of the reasons why I'm done. But that's a story for another time. ;)

I can't get out on the FCP. I already have a "viable" one on file for my daughter and it'd looked a little strange if all of a sudden it just stopped "working". I mean, I'm sure others have done it, but eh. Besides, my husband will be a civilian at that point and the FCP is only required if you're a single parent or dual military. Either way, I'm not worried about the insurance and all. Tricare will still cover the delivery at Bethesda, in case I decide not to go on my husband's new insurance policy until after the baby is born. 

I gotta tell you though, I feel as though a weight has been lifted off of my shoulders now that I'm getting out in six months. Almost as if nothing could rain on my little parade. :)

Momma to Chunky Monkey 9/2009 *** Angel Baby 5/2011 *** Growing Bean 3/2012 Pregnancy Ticker
  • Quick question, I am currently deployed overseas and have just found out that I am pregnant, I concieved while I was on leave. I am scared to go to my command for fear of being kicked out or others thinking I concieved in country, or did it just to go home. I love my job, I love my unit, but I have no idea what to do!! As other military women, what do you suggest? Thanks!

• You do the same thing I did and you tell the Chain of Command.  Then you clear out of country and go home to the rear det.  They cannot kick you out, read your regulations. 

I had 2 neg preg tests before deploying and was on the pill ((taken faithfully every day same time no antibiotics)).  I yelled at the medic who did my test, made him retest my urine with a new test from a different batch and then they did a blood confirmation.  I called BS all the way home until I saw the u/s.  My CoC was not angry at me, it is just the way life happens. 

AR 635-200 CH8 and possibly CH5-8.  Read your regs and DON'T listen to the damn barracks lawyers.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagenorvelln:

You do the same thing I did and you tell the Chain of Command.  Then you clear out of country and go home to the rear det.  They cannot kick you out, read your regulations. 

I had 2 neg preg tests before deploying and was on the pill ((taken faithfully every day same time no antibiotics)).  I yelled at the medic who did my test, made him retest my urine with a new test from a different batch and then they did a blood confirmation.  I called BS all the way home until I saw the u/s.  My CoC was not angry at me, it is just the way life happens. 

AR 635-200 CH8 and possibly CH5-8.  Read your regs and DON'T listen to the damn barracks lawyers.

This. 

One of my battle buddies got pregnant while we were deployed. She came back from her RnR and two weeks later found out she had gotten pregnant on leave. Once confirmed we threw her a going away party/congrats party and she was on a plane within a couple days.  Our chain of command wasn't upset at all, nor were we(her battles).

CJ 05/29/2013

• thank you both so much...I went to the TMC and they confirmed it..they are restesting my HCG levels on monday just to make sure the pregnancy is Viable and then we will know for sure what they are gonna do with me. I'll keep you posted!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"