Pre-School and Daycare

Do you still use a baby monitor?

If so, why? 

If not, when did you stop?

We do, so I can hear DD if she gets up because I have a child proof door knob thing on the inside of her room, or else she will get up and wander on her own at night.  And because she used a white noise machine that I am addicted to as well:) 

Mini me DD 4/17/08 BFP 12/27/10 m/c @ 8 wks, d&c 2/3/11 BFP 7/6/11 EDD 3/17/12 DS born 3/8/12 Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Do you still use a baby monitor?

• We still use one. I use the video monitor in the early evening so I can see him as he flops around and goes to sleep. At night, I use a sound monitor and just keep the video monitor by my bed if I need to peek in on him. My ds has never, ever gotten out of his bed. When he gets sick he gets super high fevers but doesn't wake up or get out of bed so I like to be able to hear him. No idea when we'll stop using one.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • No. If I had a video monitor I would. We stopped when our second one broke around 6 months ago.
    P - 9/2008
    A - 8/2010
    L - 1/2013
    S - 3/2015
  • Loading the player...
  • We still use one.  DD sleeps like crap and I can't hear her if I'm in the basement watching TV (it's 2 floors below her).  I also sleep with white noise, so may not hear her if she wakes up, but I need the white noise to drown out DH's snoring!  I also use it to talk to her before she falls asleep so I don't have to go in her room (she sometimes needs to be reminded to go to sleep...).  I'll use it until she consistently sleeps through the night or actually gets out of her bed if she needs us.  For now, she'll just sit in bed and yell, even though she has been in a bed since 15 months. 
  • No.  I think at a point I just do better knowing they are old enough and I want them to be independent/not worry about them  If they need me they call or come to us.  They know not to leave their rooms though unless it is time to wake up or if there is a problem. 

I can see why you would worry giving it up.  I wouldn't in your circumstances either until you could get her trained not to wander unless it is time.

Mom to Harmon 1/17/08 and twins Rachel & Callum 8/28/09 Photobucket 29o0v13.jpg
  • We only use it when we are somewhere in the house where we wouldn't be able to hear him calling us.  For example, after he goes to bed, I am often in the kitchen with the dishwasher running, the faucet running, and the tv on.  I turn the monitor on just in case.  Also, we use it during his naps on the weekend if we are outside doing yard work.  DS is 3.  

We don't use it when we are sleeping at night because our rooms are very close and I hear everything. 

• We only use the monitors when we are downstairs watching TV, because we wouldn't hear them if they called for us.  But, once we go to bed, we don't have them on.

• We have one in DDs room so if we watch a movie on our projector in the basement after she's in bed we hear her get up. That's it. LO of course has one now too. Edited to add: I stopped when she went to a toddler bed. Instead of a door knob guard I put a pressure gate in her door frame. She couldn't climb it or anything without loudly knocking it over. I wasn't comfortable with her not being able to leave her room in case of a fire or something.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

DD1, Kathleen 9/15/2007

imageimage

• Yep.  We have a video monitor in each room.  And last weekend was the perfect example of why!  DD#1 threw up in her bed, and got herself, the floor, the side of the bed.  So I heard her throw up and raced in there (her friends were asleep on the floor and luckily hadn't been hit!) and got her cleaned up so she didn't have to walk in that state.  

It's also nice when our friends' kids sleep over so we can figure out when they're actually asleep:) 

• We still do. My bedroom is on the other side of the house from theirs. I also have a child proof knob cover on the inside of their door so they cannot wander so I need to hear them in the morning to go and get them. Also I like it when they are sick, again if they start throwing up in the middle of the night, I wouldn't know if I didn't have the monitor to hear them since they are so far away. I plan on using it until they are closer to 4 or it dies. It is funny, I think I have one of the cheapest monitors out on the market and thing just hasn't died. The one receiver was attached to the wall and the dog chewed threw the cord during a thunderstorm once, my DH just spliced it back together and it still works 2 years later. So it may never die.
  • We still use one because when DS is in bed, we can't hear him downstairs.  We also sleep with white noise and can't hear him call over the noise.  I am glad we still use it because he has gotten sick in the middle of the night twice, and I heard him getting sick through the monitor, thankfully.
    *BFP 11/3/07*J born 07/06/08*
    *BFP 10/15/11*CP 10/18/11*
    *BFP 2/1/12*EDD 10/14/12*natural M/C 2/24/12 7w*
    *BFP 5/2/12*E born 01/03/13 (her due date)
  • We still use one but half of the time it is turned down.  I havent given it up only because on the days I dont work I like to listen to DS singing to himself when he wakes up.  It is really sweet.  When DS #2 gets here though we probably wont buy a second one but just move it over.  
  • Yes, for when DD is in bed on 2nd floor and we are in TV room in basement.  There's just no way we could hear if she was calling for us without it.  It hardly ever happens, but if she wakes up sick or has a nightmare and we're downstairs with the tv on, I want to know.  When we are upstairs, we just leave our bedroom door cracked open and she'll get out of bed and come into our room if she needs to, plus I can pretty much hear her even if she's in her room.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"