Missouri Babies
Options

Childproofing toddler room

We will probably be moving DS (2 1/2) to a twin bed some time this fall. We want to give him time to adjust to a bed before DC #2 arrives in January and takes over the crib, and he's just getting so heavy to lift into the crib! He has been sleeping on a cot at school for at least a year.

I will probably put a child-proof knob on the closet so he doesn't get up and rummage through everything. I know we will have to anchor the bookcase (inexpensive 3-shelver from Target) to the wall. DH doesn't think we need to anchor the dresser since it's pretty heavy and sturdy, but I don't know if we should put those hooking drawer locks on the drawers in case he decides to try to climb them. DH thinks I'm being paranoid, which is probably true!

What did you do to get the "big kid" room ready for an uncontained kid?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Childproofing toddler room

• Options

We got the locks on our bifold doors, anchored down the bookcase to the wall (Same type as yours), screwed the lamp onto the bookcase and strapped the cd player to the wall (both so there would be no cords she could get wrapped around her neck), took out the footstool since it didn't have a rocking lock like the chair, put a knob on the inside of her door so she can't get out of the room by herself (no wandering the house at night) and put the big big outlet covers on - not just the plugs b/c I was paranoid she would somehow figure them out.

We didn't strap her dresser to the wall because it's low and real wood so it's wompa heavy. 

If you haven't already - make sure there aren't any corded blinds on any windows in his room. 

• Options
    I hadn't thought of strapping Ben's iPod speaker to the wall; that's a good idea. We can also hide that part behind the bookcase.  We do have corded blinds behind a Roman shade, which isn't a big deal now since they're out of reach and we always keep the pull cord wound up, but it hadn't crossed my mind that when he's on the bed they'll be accessible. I'll have to look for cordless blinds and check on outlet covers beyond the plug-in ones for the really accessible outlets. Thanks!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"