Pre-School and Daycare
Options

iPOD, iPAD or other for kids ~ 5 years-old?

My boys have their own desktops but I am trying to decide between the iPOD and the iPads to get them.  I love the number of apps on the apple products.

Is it worth it just to upgrade to the iPAD instead of the smaller iPOD? My guys are 4 1/2 and I would be getting two.

Re: iPOD, iPAD or other for kids ~ 5 years-old?

• Options
    In what situation would they be using it and for how long?  I ask this b/c if they are using it in just the car I would say IPad.  If they are carrying it various places I would say IPod b/c the IPad is nortoriusly easy to break!!!  I've never met a 5 yr old with a lot of grace so I wouldn't want them carrying a $500-$800 fragile computer anywhere.  
    Mom to Harmon 1/17/08 and twins Rachel & Callum 8/28/09 Photobucket 29o0v13.jpg
  • Options

We bought a first generation iPad for the boys and they LOVE it.  Even the two year old looks at our photos and plays a few of the learning games.

A word of caution, we had to "hide" the icon for YouTube as one of the boys would navigate his way to all kinds of things - some appropriate for preschoolers some not.  Indifferent 

Now we field questions like, "Mama, can we get THIS game?"  He wants to buy games that cost $12!  We stick to the free or $1.99 games for the most part.

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imagefranciscaz:
    In what situation would they be using it and for how long?  I ask this b/c if they are using it in just the car I would say IPad.  If they are carrying it various places I would say IPod b/c the IPad is nortoriusly easy to break!!!  I've never met a 5 yr old with a lot of grace so I wouldn't want them carrying a $500-$800 fragile computer anywhere.  

Good point!  We bought an OtterBox case for the iPad because we knew it would get dropped.  So far, so good!

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

• Options
    imageluvmagoldn:

imagefranciscaz:

Good point!  We bought an OtterBox case for the iPad because we knew it would get dropped.  So far, so good!

That is a great idea!  I might get one for mine.  I worry about breaking it in the field. 

Mom to Harmon 1/17/08 and twins Rachel & Callum 8/28/09 Photobucket 29o0v13.jpg
  • Options

I have an ipod and both of my girls (2 and almost 4) play it all the time and love. There are so many great apps! :) They have learned so much from it. I personally like the ipod for them bc I like to toss it in my purse or pocket and take it on the go all the time. And it fits so well in their little hands.  My 4yo is getting an ipod for her bday from my parents, so now I only have to share with 1 of my kids. lol.

But like pp, I think it depends when and where they will be using it in whether you should get an ipod or ipad.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

We have both for my 5 almost 6 year old and almost 4 year old--actually, DH and I have the ipads.  The kids just love to play them and we let them in the car, airplane, waiting for a meal at a resturant, etc.   

They have ipods but don't use them near as much.  Their PreK program has a ipod shuffle program where they get all the songs they learn in the school year on an ipod shuffle.  DD loved it and that's why we bought her one.   I had intended to go back to the PreK teacher and ask that she put the songs on her own ipod but the teacher left that year (when DD returned for K).   DS1 will attend PreK and will be a part of the shuffle program, I will see if the teacher will put them on his shuffle.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We are getting DS1, who'll be 5 next month, a Leapster Explorer and that's it.  For Christmas, we're getting both our boys a Wii so they can play together.  

Personally, I wouldn't spend that much money for a gadget for a child.  They really don't need something like that. Maybe when they are older, like 10+. 

BabyFruit TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers image image
  • Options
    imagemabma80:

Personally, I wouldn't spend that much money for a gadget for a child.  They really don't need something like that. Maybe when they are older, like 10+. 

I feel this way too.

P - 9/2008
    A - 8/2010
    L - 1/2013
    S - 3/2015
  • Options

Leapfrog is coming out with something similar to an ipad and it will be $100 ,also vtech is coming out with one too for $80,i would not spend the money on something that expensive for a 5 year old .

• Options
    imagePhilsWife07:
    imagemabma80:

I feel this way too.

I also agree. I'm looking at the versions that Leapfrog and V-tech are releasing this year that are geared for children, but I don't see the need to purchase an expensive piece of technology geared for adults for my preschooler. 

Hawaii
  • Options
    imagesmilejenn:
    imagePhilsWife07:
    imagemabma80:

I feel this way too.

I also agree. I'm looking at the versions that Leapfrog and V-tech are releasing this year that are geared for children, but I don't see the need to purchase an expensive piece of technology geared for adults for my preschooler. 

These comments make me LOL. It is all relative. We have a V-tech toy for DD and compared to her i-pod touch and our i-pad it is a total piece of junk and the games are a lot less educational than the apps she plays. If people can afford to get this technology which newsflash is not even close to being geared for only adults (where have you been?) then I say invest your money in something that is quality, will last and will grow with them, DD has way outgrown her V-tech she got last year it was a big fat waste of money. These comments are the same as I can't believe people spend so much money on their kids for Christmas or kids clothes. If you live on 50k a year then sure maybe these gadgets are a stretch to the budget, but if you are making way into six figures it is a drop in the bucket and why not by them? All of our many apple products have otter boxes on them which makes them a lot more durable than anything fisher price can make. 

• Options

DS is three and has an IPod Touch and uses our IPhones.  It was a great purchase for him.  While I know he would love the IPad, the size of the touch makes it great for travel, just throw it in the bag and go.  Great when eating out, sitting in waiting rooms, in the car.  I just think at his size and while traveling, the IPad would be too big.  And you would have to travel with two.

I will say that the only thing that does bug me about the Touch is that sometimes, especially when he is getting tired, he puts it right up to his face.  I imagine with the larger screen on the IPad, that wouldn't happen as often. 

• Options

I have looked at the Leapfrog and the v-tech and we have an old v-smile. The problem with these is that the games and stuff are outrageously expensive and so limited.  I was looking at the v-tech but the games are like $30 and they suck.

The iPOD and iPADS will grow with my guys. I think the cheaper games are to young for them now or at the very least have a very lmited shelf-life.

My sister has an iPAD and an iPOD so I am going to check them out. I have a nook which is such a great size but limited apps.

• Options
    My DD doesn't have the maturity to have her own but we let her play on our iPhones and iPads with us around. SMKR pictures of destroyed iPads and iPhones may play into my opinion on that. I'd probably go for iPod touches. Better for small hands and easier to slip into your purse or a back pack.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

DD1, Kathleen 9/15/2007

imageimage

• Options
    My girls were three and five when they got their I-Pods.  At the time they got them it was extremely rare for a child at this age to have an I-Pod.  We went shopping and I didn't realize that Summer had her I-Pod with her, and non the less was listening to it.  The cashier was laughing at her.  We didn't get them touches, we just got them each a nano.  We bought Summers, and Leah was given one by her Uncle.  We don't allow them to watch movies when we travel, and we travel often.  Our girls enjoy music, so I update there I-Pods with new music just prior to our trip.  They love it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"