Philadelphia Babies

Need OB recommendations for Lakenau Hospital

Hi!  I am just 4 weeks pregnant and looking for recommendations for an OB that delivers at Lakenau.  Greatly appreciate any recommendations!

Question for those that plan to deliver/or who have delivered at Lakenau--I understand it is a teaching hospital.  Did your OB deliver your child or did you have a resident?  

Thanks! 

Re: Need OB recommendations for Lakenau Hospital

• My OB delivered my son and he will deliver my daughter.  I can't recommend him enough...Dr. Randolph Heinzel.  The other doctor in thier practice is amazing as well...Dr. Rudolph Laveran.  Dr. Rudo just left medicine but I do know they are searching for another female doctor. 

They are at Lawrence Park OB/GYN.  I also use a pediatrician in that complex and I love them both so its really convienient.

• I saw Dr. Nogami at Women for Women for my annual.  They deliver at Lankenau and their offices are located in the hospital.  I really liked her and the whole practice came highly recommended

I didn't deliver my kids at Lankenau (we recently moved) but I did deliver them at a teaching hospital (TJUH).  Residents check on you, ask a lot of questions, and can be pretty annoying, but they don't do deliveries.  They might be there to observe, but the doctor does the actual delivery and the nurses are the ones that really take care of you

However, you are not guaranteed that one specific doctor will be the one to deliver, so whichever practice you choose make sure you make appointments with all the docs.  Good luck and congrats!

DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • Loading the player...
  • I TOTALLY agree with the statement that the nurses are the ones that really take care of you...I've been to Lankenau for monitoring AND the actual delivery and I can honestly say that the nurses there ROCK....the labor and delivery nurses, the post partum nurses and even the after care nurses (especially one very awesome lactation consultant that will always have my heart for calming me down during a panic when I couldn't breast feed by telling me that my baby is going to be fine and that I'm making the right decision for US and to not doubt it)...they all were amazing!

And yes, the residents will probably ask you a few too many questions but they do not deliver the babies.  They will eventually but they don't practice on you...LOL!

• I also see Dr. Heinzel and he is amazing.  The chief of OB/GYN at lankenau ended up delivering my baby though.  I needed a real emergency c-section that had to happen within minutes and the chief was on call so he delivered.  I cannot say enough amazing things about Dr,. Heinzel and his practice.  They took amazing care of me when I was on hospitalized bedrest for 26 days and saw me daily.  I was also seen by the resident daily.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ditto PP's for Lawrence Park OB/GYN. Dr. Heinzel is awesome. Dr. Rudolph is a good doctor, a little different bedside manner but both are great at what they do. The hospital was great and really the nurses do take care of you. I will say that I had an amazing team working in the OR with my c/s and a resident finished closing me up and all were very nice. 
    DS#1~ 6/8/09 DS#2~ 5/12/11
  • I go to Dr. Patricia McConnell of Women's Healthcare Group of PA. Also in the practice, Drs. Belden, Peden, Finnegan.   They are all great!

Dr. McConnell delivered my LO, she scheduled my induction while she was on duty at my request.  I had a C/S also and as stated above, a resident did close me up.  BTW, my scar looks fantastic (I healed very quickly and at 9 weeks post delivery, it is perfect).  Both Dr. McConnell and the resident did a great job!

The nurses and hospital are amazing!  I was actually very sick and they really took care of me, I can't say enough about them!

• I see Dr. Ufberg and he is great.  He's really laid back and very easy to talk to.  His office is in the hospital which is nice too.
  • Dr. Ufburg!  I switched to Dr. Ufberg half way through my first pregnancy from Women's Healthcare Group, Newtown Square location.  He was fantastic!  Very easy going and understanding.  He made my husband feel secure and comfortable, too.  He is located in the hospital and he is a solo practice with MLHC.  He delivers almost all of his own babies which I what we were looking for.  I am so glad we found him!  Good luck and congrats!

• I saw the docs at McConnell, Belden, Peden, Finnegan.  I think they have a new doc too.  They request that you see each of the doctors throughout the pregnancy at least once because you won't be able to guarantee who will deliver you.  I was very happy with them and hope to use them for this pregnancy through the end although I may have to switch insurance companies mid way.

As for the teaching aspect, yes, you will see the residents when you are admitted.  They walk through the rooms and keep the attending up to date on things.  They will do minor procedures (one broke my water).  But the attending is always in charge.  I had a c/s, Dr. Peden and the resident were both in the OR.  As for who was doing what, I am not sure.  But I do know that the resident stitched me up and Dr. Peden was directing her the entire time.  

Then through recovery, starting at 6am, I would be visited by a med student (who my DH and I had a great time putting on the spot), then the resident, then eventually the attending.

I was really impressed by the nursing staff there.  There was one awful exception but I only saw her a couple of times. 

• I used Dr. Ufberg when he was at Pennsylvania Hospital, and he is now at Lankenau.  I really liked him but I felt he was a little bit too lax when it came to concerns I had-- like post partum bleeding that turned out to be retained product, so just make sure you make yourself heard! Sometimes the OBs have been there, done that so many times that you feel like you are not being taken seriously.  I am with Dr. Renee Anderson now at Pennsylvania and she is great.

• imagepeanut2b:

My OB delivered my son and he will deliver my daughter.  I can't recommend him enough...Dr. Randolph Heinzel.  The other doctor in thier practice is amazing as well...Dr. Rudolph Laveran.  Dr. Rudo just left medicine but I do know they are searching for another female doctor. 

They are at Lawrence Park OB/GYN.  I also use a pediatrician in that complex and I love them both so its really convienient.

Dr. Heinzel is my OB/GYN. He is wonderful!!!!  

Pregnancy Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary
    image Our Furbaby Beaker imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"