Food Allergy

Peanut Allergy

On Saturday my son had a pretty bad reaction to peanut butter...I was very nervous about giving him any,but finally tried it about a week before he turned one.  He was fine, no reaction.  On Saturday we fed him a fold-over pb sandwich and by the time he finished to sandwich his face was beginning to get blotchy.  I immediately took him out of the high chair and wiped him down and called the on-call nurse.  By the time I spoke with her and got off the phone he was covered in hives.  You could even see bumps in his ears and on his feet.  I dosed him with Benadryl per nurse's instructions and the hives decreased throughout the day.  He never had any breathing problems, although one eye began to swell and his lips looked a little swollen.  I called and spoke to the Pedi's office on Monday to see what we needed to do...they called in an epi pen, instructed me to avoid all peanut and nut products and to continue to give him Benadryl until the hives disappear.  I called the allergist and they can see him on August 8th (or I can see a different dr. earlier if need be).  I know he can't be tested until he's be off antihistamines for 7 days, so I felt that August 8th would work out well.

The nurse said he could have hives for a week!  Should I go ahead and see a different allergist so that he can be seen sooner?  

Sorry this is so long, I just didn't realize that he would still have hives 3 days after the incident...any advice?  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Peanut Allergy

• most reactions happen on the second exposure. So he ate it fine once and the second time is when he had the reaction. poor baby!  I'm surprised they didn't tell you to take him to the ER.

Hives can take up to 7 days (or maybe even more) to clear.  depends on the reaction. My son has had them last that long many times. There are times where they go away and come back a couple days later.

The only advise is to stay away from anything peanuts (and probably tree nuts) until he gets tested.  I think that's pretty good that you got an appointment for August 8th.. it sometimes takes months for someone to get an appointment. hold on to it. 

Good luck! and avoid avoid avoid peanuts

• Thank you so much for the reply!  It was actually his 5th or 6th exposure to pb...but now that I'm consumed with thinking about this, I can think of a couple of times last week that he had a couple of hives on his face and diaper area...I didn't think of it as hives and assumed it was a diaper rash or his eczema flaring up.  Anyways, I will continue on my current path until we can get testing done on the 8th!  Thanks again! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree, that is a short wait for a ped allergist.  I called July 5th after LO had a reaction and the soonest we could get in was September 9th!  This is a follow on visit and it's just to test for dog/cat allergy so I can't complain too much.  The receptionist thanked me for not yelling at her because I guess everyone was giving her crap about the long wait.  But my allergist is well worth the wait.

Stay far away from PB and all nuts until your appt.  Each exposure the body knows how to react better and quicker so it's worse each time.  Next time could an Ana reaction. 

Keep your LO safe and it's life changing but totally doable!

• We got into our allergist pretty fast too... because DS had had benadryl within a few days, they couldn't do a skin test, but they did do a blood test, and said they were planning on doing it before anyway.  

Def avoid all peanuts and tree nuts until then.  We're the lucky ones that have the allergy to both peanuts and tree nuts.  DS didn't have bed hives more than a day after, but his skin wasn't back to normal for a few days.   

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"