Pre-School and Daycare
Options

advice re: picking scabs

I need some help please ladies.

DS is awful for picking scabs. He's had a scratch by his eye that he keeps picking and it's getting bigger and ibgger. He's done this before - maybe 3 times? So far rational explainations don't work, nor do the deterrants I've tried (bandaids, and every time he opens it up, I clean it with antiseptic that stings). I keep putting antiseptic cream on it to try and heal it faster, but I'm struggling with how to get him to stop.

ANy suggestions?

Mum to W (4) and M (nearly 2)

Re: advice re: picking scabs

• Options
    That's a tough spot!  DD constantly scratches at bug bites and ends up making them bleed.  I have to cover her in cream and make sure she has clothing on that she can't scratch under (at night, have to use footed pj's that zip).  Maybe try putting some Aquaphor or some other ointment over it so he can't scratch as well?  I'd definitely keep his nails as short as possible too, though that's easier said than done.  Good luck and I hope it gets better soon!
  • Options
    that is a really tough one...I agree about VERY Short nails for now.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Tickerv
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My DD who is a little younger was picking open a scab on her nose repeatedly.  It took a month to heal.  She kept taking off her bandaid and picking at it. What we think finally helped close it up was putting some liquid bandaid on it under her regular bandaid.  Since you can't spray it on a kid's face, we'd spray it on one of our fingers, then quickly put it onto the cut before it dried. That gave an extra layer of protection to the cut so her fingernails were scratching that before the actual cut and we re-applied every day, sometimes a few times a day if she was really scratching it up a lot.  
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imageSymphonyGirl:
    My DD who is a little younger was picking open a scab on her nose repeatedly.  It took a month to heal.  She kept taking off her bandaid and picking at it. What we think finally helped close it up was putting some liquid bandaid on it under her regular bandaid.  Since you can't spray it on a kid's face, we'd spray it on one of our fingers, then quickly put it onto the cut before it dried. That gave an extra layer of protection to the cut so her fingernails were scratching that before the actual cut and we re-applied every day, sometimes a few times a day if she was really scratching it up a lot.  

Thanks! I'll ask at the pharmacy on Monday - that's a great idea. Bandaids get taken off as soon as they're put on, but this might work. :)

Mum to W (4) and M (nearly 2)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"