Postpartum Depression

Way to keep riding this high?

I've dealt with depression for a long time. I was told by one doctor (the first who diagnosed me) that my ADD morphed into depression as I aged (has anyone heard of this?). My whole family deals with depression. My mother has attempted suicide twice, and my father once. My brother never attempted suicide, but as he got older, his ADHD also apparently morphed into depression. My family does well when they are medicated (my Dad is a whole new man since he finally agreed to go on it 6 years ago). I agreed the doc could be right with my diagnosis when I got older and let it always be treated as such. So here's the deal:

I started The Pill when I was 19, almost at the same time as starting the antidepressants. I eventually switched to Yaz after I realized that every 8th day before my period I got majorly depressed - to the point that I started cutting. I still dealt with worse depression at that time, but not as bad. I also eventually switched from Welbutrin to Prozac.  Twice, since then have I attempted suicide. I also had a history of sporadic, stupidly impulsive behavior. When we decided to get pg, it was partially because a friend told me that I might do better, mentally, off The Pill. From what I can tell, she was right. I had decided to finish out my Prozac, but we got pg before that happened. I took myself off, as soon as I knew, though. So here's my issue:

I am doing great. Seriously. Like, my sex drive is really normal. I have stopped binging on food, and am loosing weight. I feel capable, and in control of my life. I feel like I'm living life NORMALLY for the first time, maybe ever, but certainly since I was very young. And I also don't feel absurdly giddy. There are no major swings... just happy and occasionally some unhappy. And this is a problem because....? Because I'm not sure how to make it last, and now as my pregnancy is drawing to a close, I'm desperate to do so. And I'm not sure if it's the pg or being off the pill or being off the antidepressants.

Antidepressants haven't helped me, clearly. The Pill may have helped or hindered... I'm not sure. I'm wondering if I was misdiagnosed. But I do know one thing... while being on pregnancy hormones, I've had the best few months ever. And I am sort of wondering if there are synthetic versions out there, or some sort of way to make the normalcy continue. I don't ever want to go back. And the thought of post-partum depression terrifies me, esp since I have such a background. I also worry that if I bring this up to any doc, they wont take me seriously, and will put me back on prozac. I can't even describe the panic that runs through me, thinking of going back to the way things were before. I really worry about this because the first midwife I met and interviewed actually almost had my Dad, who was with me (my Mom was working and my husband was away for the Army), ready to commit me to an institution because I'd taken myself off the antidepressant.

Does anyone know how I can make this last? Or have a good way to approach the subject with a doctor? 

Re: Way to keep riding this high?

• I am NOT a doctor and by no means is this a foolproof thought. You HAVE to do what is best for you after pregnancy and if you start feeling depressed I'd probably at least try the prozac again. I'd skip the BCP's but I personally know 110% that they make me crazy. like certifiable. so I don't take them.

BUT have you looked into placenta encapsulation? It's a way to keep the hormones you had coming in after pregnancy and wean back off them to hopefully normalize you a bit. Now with your past issues I don't know if after you wean off you're "normal" will be depressed again, as i am not a doctor. But it's a thought! I am trying it this time as I suffered PPD with #1 and would like to try to go a more natural route this time. It's worth looking into I think!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"