Pregnant after IF

What should there be to see at 5w3d u/s?

I have my first ultrasound on Monday. My first concern is to make sure the baby is in the uterus and is not another ectopic. But, what else should I be hoping to see - just a gestational sac? What if no yolk sac or fetal pole is present, should I worry? Thanks!
Dx: High FSH, stage IV endo, homozygous C677T MTHFR and PAI-1
Early loss 10/08
Lap 1/09
IVF #1 "natural IVF" - 1 egg retrieved, missed m/c
Tried several mini-stim cycles with no response
Switched clinics - dx'd as carrier for Fragile X
IVF #2 MDL protocol Jan/Feb converted to IUI, BFN
IVF #2 take 2: Antagonist, one embie, BFN
IVF #3: Antagonist, no fertilization
One last ditch effort at OE IVF (antagonist with Clomid) cancelled
DE cycle #1 Jan/Feb 2011, BFP, ectopic
DE cycle #2 June/July 2011 - BFP
10/28/11 Baby girl lost at 17 weeks due to pre-term labor. We love and miss you.
DE cycle #3 June/July 2012 - BFP, twins, both heartbeats stopped, D&C
2 frosties but don't know what's next
FET Dec 2012: BFP! Praying this one sticks for the long haul!

Re: What should there be to see at 5w3d u/s?

• I "think" you should just see a sac at that point. I didn't have my 1st u/s until 6w2d and there was a sac, yolk & the hb had just started (itty bitty flicker on the screen)....no fetal pole was visable even at that point. Most people don't even see a hb until close to 7 weeks. Soooo, I'd say just go in hoping to just see the sac (dark oval on the screen).    Good luck !!!!

"Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all." -- Dale Carnegie
    "Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." --Thomas A. Edison
  • We had one due to spotting at 5 weeks 2 or 3 days... dont remember the exact but we only saw one sac and MAYBE the start of the other but we were not sure. No yolk or anything else and it was TINY - like the size of a pea on the screen. We saw the heartbeats at 6 weeks but they were just starting and they couldnt even get a count.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Loading the player...
  • We saw a tiny black dot at 5w4d, you can see it on the pic on the bottom. The dr said he was checking that it was where it was supposed to be, and that the lining was nice and thick.

• my RE was funny and wouldn't call what we saw at 5w4d anything b/c there was no heartbeat. but i think we saw gestational sacs?

not totally certain, but there were 2 definitive black circles on the screen, then maybe a small white sac inside each (memory is fuzzy)...

definitely NOT heartbeats, too early.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had an u/s at 5 weeks, 4 days, and all they saw was a gestational sac. You might be lucky enough to see a fetal pole and yolk sac too, but don't worry if you don't see it. We didn't, and a week later, the pole and yolk sac turned up. :)
  • May, I just had mine at 5 weeks 1 day because I was having some side pain (turned out to be muscular). They saw (2) gestational sac and yolk sac. They said I was a few days ahead apparently at 5 1/2 weeks they see this and it is perfectly normal! They ruled out ectopic and I'm scheduled for August 18th to see hopefully heartbeats. Good Luck to you!!
    Oct1201212 Twins born at 34w2d, Allison, 3lb,4oz-Ethan, 4lb7oz, both 16 1/2 inches. Out of Difficulties Grow Miracles BestBuddiesBoy AprilPosseMultiLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • My 1st u/s was at 5w2d and we saw only the gestational sac and a barely visible yolk sac.  No fetal pole or heartbeat yet.  I don't think you're supposed to see a fetal pole at that point and the yolk sac is typically pretty small at that time, too.  After that u/s, I waited until I was 7 weeks for my next u/s.  I wanted to be sure we'd see fetal pole and heartbeat at that u/s.  Good luck!  Hope your u/s goes well on Monday!!!!! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"