Baby Showers

S/O of bringing baby to shower

So I am in the early stages of planning a baby shower for my sister-in-law.  It will be held at my home sometime this fall and be about 15 people.  I have a toddler, who will likely be around 20 months at the time.  My initial thought is to have my husband take our daughter somewhere fun to get her out of the house so she's not the center of attention.  But then I know that DH's family (it will be DH's side of the family that will be at the shower) would love to see her b/c they see her very rarely.  (DH's side of the family is not close)

Maybe I'll have him bring her back at the end as things are wrapping up?  I don't want to AW my daughter, not do I want to steal the spotlight.  But it is also my daughter's house, too.

I do know that I don't want her there the whole time because it will be impossible for me to host with her underfoot, nor do I want that kind of spotlight-hogging.  Curious as to opinions on this. I'm totally open minded on the subject. Have her and my husband come home towards the end of the shower, or keep her out the entire time?

Re: S/O of bringing baby to shower

• Have them come at the end.  I see nothing wrong with that. 
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• I agree with them coming at the end of the shower.

My friend threw me a shower at her house and she has a little boy who was 15 months at the time.  I had no problem with him being there for the whole thing. He actually ended up naping for most of it, and then woke up at the very end and was the hit of the party, such a sweet little boy.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I think bringing her at the end of the party is a good idea. And perhaps, if you're comfortable with it, you can invite DH's family to stay a little longer to visit with her.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageEastCoastBride:
    Have them come at the end.  I see nothing wrong with that. 

This.  I think it will also signal to your guests that the party is wrapping up, which is kind of nice when you're trying to get that message across.

Baby Boy born sleeping at 20 weeks.
  • imageILoveRedVino:

imageEastCoastBride:

This.  I think it will also signal to your guests that the party is wrapping up, which is kind of nice when you're trying to get that message across.

That's a fantastic point. I can see them being "lingerers"

• I agree with letting them come near the end... A friend of mine had a shower recently where her SIL brought her 15 month old, and everyone was so busy paying attention to that baby that it seemed no one was paying attention to the mom and unborn baby. It was just a little distracting.
  • imageEastCoastBride:

Agree.  A shower is probably not the most entertaining place for a little one.  Also if you are hosting, I am guessing you will have your hands full without having to look after DD

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageavalovesart:
    I think bringing her at the end of the party is a good idea. And perhaps, if you're comfortable with it, you can invite DH's family to stay a little longer to visit with her.

This! Inviting them to stay just a little longer should keep them happy they got to visit with her too (and without taking from their time for the shower). 

• I would say either have here there at the beginning and have DH take hr out for daddy/daughter time before cake and gifts or have DH bring her home after the gifts have been opened for some visit time with family.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think she could come at the end, like the last 15 minutes, and then anyone who wants to see her could stay a few extra minutes too.  Don't let her come over until the main activities are over.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • At the end  would be fine. You might be able to get her to give SIL a big hug and kiss to congratulate her.

At my shower the hostess's sons came a gave me a hug and congratulated me on my little girl. I treasured it even though I know their mom coached them. It was cute.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image.
  • Definitly have them come towards the end.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"