April 2011 Moms

WTF hospital. WWYD?

We did NOT have a good hospital stay with Linus. They were completely understaffed the entire time and I kid you not, there was not a single shift that went by without our nurse telling us how busy they were or the lactation consultant huffing in while answering her phone and saying that she'll get there as soon as possible. They just really made us feel unwelcomed. The lactation consultants were too busy to help as much as we needed. I'm sorry, Linus has a high palate, was tongue tied, and had latching problems and I needed help! So I maybe saw a lactation consultant once a day for a few minutes. Most nurses wouldn't help either. Surprise surprise when he wouldn't nurse and we ended up supplementing. 

One night the nurse came in and wanted us to get some sleep so went ahead to take him to the nursery for his vitals and said she'd keep him a couple hours until it was time to attempt nursing again. Probably 6 hours later I woke up and my baby was still gone! I called the nurse and she came in and said he was breathing funny so they took him to the NICU and did a chest xray and monitored him. I don't care if I'm tired. Isn't this something YOU would have wanted to know? So they wanted to keep him there longer for monitoring and for me to get more sleep. I asked what about his feedings and she said he's fine for now. By this point he hadn't eaten anything for like 8 hours (we weren't supplementing yet). All in all, no matter how much I expressed my concern that he hadn't eaten, he went probably 14 hours without eating. It just seemed wrong. 

I LOVE my Dr. though and her whole office. This is the only hospital she delivers at. DH said it's up to me if I want to go somewhere else this time. Already, I've had the hospital make a mistake. The nurse called me this morning and asked if I had any bleeding or cramping and I'm immediately panicking. She tells me my beta was completely negative and that I was miscarrying. She was confused why I hadn't started bleeding yet though. I was out of it since she had just woken me up, but said "that's not possible, I got a + hpt yesterday (the day of the beta- thank god for being a POAS-aholic). So she was confused and said she'd call the lab and have them rerun it. 

Sure enough... she called back an hr later and my level had gone from 76 to 280-something. The stupid hospital had mixed up my blood with someone else's and ran the beta on theirs. I hope the other person wasn't having important stuff ran with my blood!! It's like, seriously... I'm 4 weeks pg and already the hospital is screwing up. Is it just a sign I should go somewhere else? Would you stay at the hospital now that we know more and aren't as clueless as the first-timers we were?  

photo newsig2_zps17ef14af.jpg

Re: WTF hospital. WWYD?

• Good grief! I wouldn't go back or risk it! Who needs the stress?! Not you!!
  • I'd probably consider switching.  I found that the care from nurses, LCs, and hospital staff was much more important than my doctor.  I love the doctor who delivered both my kids and the others in her practice - but if she was the only thing I liked, I'd be outta there.  She's delivered my two children but I've probably spent about 3 hours total with her.  I've spent almost a full week with the other staff.  They are the ones who I need to be excellent!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks, I guess part of my concern is that I'll be a repeat c/s and being a surgery it still freaks me out, especially since it will be 2 c/s in less than a year. 
  • I would switch and I would tell your OB why you are switching.  Maybe it would give them insentive to deliver at another hosp.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageSouthSideDrea:
    I would absolutely find a different hospital. Anyone can deliver your baby, I was so worried about that part of it, and in hindsight realize I needn't have been.  The care we got in the hospital was much more pivotal.  A resident delivered Hen, but we had pediatricians, and LC's and nurses falling all over us helping afterward, and I know we had success BFing because we were able to get the early help we needed.  Next time I know what my priorities will be, the delivery is one day, but the early care can get things off to the right foot or wrong foot and have lasting implications. 

This is pretty much exactly how our stay was. I loved our nursing staff. DH almost didn't want to leave the hospital to go home. I had the option of two hospitals: one with all the bells and whistles and one that was a little homier, yet still had the necessities needed. I went with the second option and will never regret my choice.

• WOW.

First of all, you should have been immediately notified that Linus was going to the NICU. No ifs, ands, or buts. I would have been livid and speaking to the head nurse and neonatologist. 

Then it's completely unacceptable that he went 14 hours w/o food. That's so horrible! It also doesn't help you out any with your supply! Especially since you were having issues.

Now the lab is screw up important tests? 

No way, no how. Run, don't walk to a new doctor & hospital. With the mistakes, lack or communication, and the way they treated you, there is no way you should stay there!

Our IVF Miracles! Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imagePAmiler82:
    I'd probably consider switching.  I found that the care from nurses, LCs, and hospital staff was much more important than my doctor.  I love the doctor who delivered both my kids and the others in her practice - but if she was the only thing I liked, I'd be outta there.  She's delivered my two children but I've probably spent about 3 hours total with her.  I've spent almost a full week with the other staff.  They are the ones who I need to be excellent!
    This...I would look into what your other options are.  Perhaps your current OB can recommend someone who delivers at your hospital of choice?  I think it would be important feedback for them to have, as well.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I probably would have been arrested for murder if my baby was taken to the NICU and I wasn't informed. I definitely agree with PP, find a new hospital!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage.
  • Thanks. : / Guess I just needed to hear it from other people. Now it's even harder because that was the closest hospital and now I'll have Linus at one of the grandparent's houses the whole time I'm in the hospital, which will be even farther away from them. I just have no idea how to choose!? How do you go into this knowing that it won't suck? The nursing staff seemed great during the class and tour. They sure sounded great before we got there.
  • Not a chance in hell I would step foot in that hospital again, or let them anywhere near my kids.
  • imagecampbaby76:
    I would switch and I would tell your OB why you are switching.  Maybe it would give them insentive to deliver at another hosp.

This. Exactly. I would have been so freaked out about them calling and telling me I'm miscarrying that I would never go back.

MacAndCheese
    Mac and cheese lover!

• Do you have people you can ask?  Even though your doctor only delivers at that hospital, they might have a good recommendation, too?  I toured both hospitals that my ob/gym offic delivered at.  They both seemed great and so I started talking with people and quite a few had not had a great experience with the nursing staff on one of them. 

My sister (who has four children) told me I would spend much more time with the nurses then I would with the doctor and that is what would make or break my stay.  I have to agree.  The nurses were amazing and if I paged (which I rarely had to because someone was with me my entire labor and other than that, one step ahead of me with any other needs) they were their immediately. 

It's hard to make a change, but you don't want to go into this delivery worrying about the care you'll receive and if they are taking good care of your newborn. 

• If anyone took my baby for that long and didn't tell me or give me my baby back I would freaked the F out.

Personally I would find a new hospital.  The hospital I delivered at was pro the baby rooming in, and she was only ever taken out of the room for about ten minutes everyday to have her vitals taken.  They always brought her immediately back.

• imageSouthSideDrea:
    I would absolutely find a different hospital. Anyone can deliver your baby, I was so worried about that part of it, and in hindsight realize I needn't have been.  The care we got in the hospital was much more pivotal.  A resident delivered Hen, but we had pediatricians, and LC's and nurses falling all over us helping afterward, and I know we had success BFing because we were able to get the early help we needed.  Next time I know what my priorities will be, the delivery is one day, but the early care can get things off to the right foot or wrong foot and have lasting implications. 
    This. I switched OB's ( it just worked out they were in same hospital) at 25 weeks...wouldn't change it for the world. I wound up with a c-section after lots of planning for intervention-free, but I know with my original doc I would have had regrets and problems everywhere, simply because he didn't let me be a part of my own care. Switch if that is going to make an easier pregnancy for you!
  • Most hospitals send out a survey for you to fill out after you have a stay with them.  If yours does fill it out with all your complaints.  If they don't go on their web site and find out whom you can make a complaint too.

I also would have freaked the F out if my Olivia was sent to the NICU and no one notified me or my DH. Sleep isn't that important at a time like that.  Then the nurse mixing up the blood work and telling you your M/C then it takes an hour for her to call you back?  

I would find another hospital ask people you know who have delivered at another hospital what their opinions are.

Good luck and sorry you had to go through all of this. 

Mom to 4 wonderful daughters
                                 Breanna, Ellie and 
                                 our 2 rainbow babies.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I would talk to your OB at your next appointment and express your concerns. Given that you think you will be a repeat c-section, I understand wanting someone you are comfortable with and familiar with. But I think your concerns with your hospital are valid and would make me want to switch.
  • Yes, I think it's time to find another hospital! Goodness!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"