Pre-School and Daycare

Clicky poll: Does your 4 year-old still nap?

DS1 still naps but once or twice a week he just will not settle down for it.  I'm wondering how much longer he will take naps.  I'm nervous that we're getting to the age when most kids stop.

Thanks!

[Poll]

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: Clicky poll: Does your 4 year-old still nap?

• He stopped around 2.5 years, right about when he potty trained.  DD is almost 3 though and still loves her naps.  She asks to go to her bed. 
  • My almost four year old hasn't napped since last summer. We noticed that her nap was pushing later and later and she wasn't falling asleep until 4 or later, then wasn't going down for the night until 11 because she was wide awake. It turned into a vicious cycle where she woke up overtired from staying up late and still couldn't fall asleep for a nap until late, so we experimented and kept her up a few days. She went back to sleeping 12 hours overnight and was much more refreshed. Now we do everything in our power to keep her from falling asleep  while I'm  cooking dinner because otherwise she goes into an awful cycle  for days at a time.

My two year old is already showing signs of giving up her nap (going down later and later and not sleeping long), which I'm so not ready for. *I* need that break!

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • None of my kids napped past age 2. DD#2 was 20 months when she stopped napping! LOL!
    image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • DS is 3 1/2 and still naps every day for about 2 hours.  I don't see it ending any time soon, but that's probably because he gets up before 6am every day. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My 5 yr old still naps when we wear him out good!

Only for about an hour though.

At newly 4 he was doing about 1.5 to 2 hours but could skip it if we were out and about busy. 

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • She stopped napping right when she turned 2. She fought it for a few months before then.

The other day she fell asleep in the car, which is rare, and she ended up sleeping for about 90 minutes. She was up past 11 that night! She definitely no longer needs a mid-day rest or even nap. 

• My guys nap maybe twice a week.  DS#1 I have to limit to one hour or he will be up until 11:00.  DS#2 can take a two hour nap and still go to bed at 8:00 with no problems at all.

DS#3 has started fighting naps in the last couple of weeks.  If he doesn't nap he is a wreck around dinner time though.  I hope this is just a phase and he will go back to napping soon!

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

• My first stopped napping at 2 and my second was 3.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DD stopped napping regularly about 2, I could still get her to take occasional ones until almost 3. Now the only ones I get is long car trips.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

DD1, Kathleen 9/15/2007

imageimage

• dd1 stopped naps around 3.75 yrs old.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Wow!  You guys are all making me feel lucky that he does still take naps sometimes!  And that DS2 is usually good for 2-3 hours everyday!

I'm just really going to miss that break  Crying

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • DS has napped 4 times on the past year - twice when he was sick, once on Christmas Day, and a random, miraculous day. He was not a great napper last summer (would wake up crabby and be up until 10 at night), then stopped completely when he started preschool. Now he has quiet time in his room and goes to bed between 7 and 7:30.
  • My almost-4yr old naps every day, even weekends.  My 6yr old going into first grade naps on the weekends still.  And both still sleep 12 hours at night.  They like their sleep :)
    SS10 - SD9 - DD7 - DS5 - DS born 10/3/12
  • I put yes (although he'll be 5 in a month).  I still make him take a nap with his little brother,, 3years old. Reason is because if he doesn't he gets cranky.  Especially if we've done a lot that morning (park, errands, etc.).  He'll start school again in the fall and it'll be over his nap time (half day prek).  When he gets home from school, he'll usually crash on the couch for a good hour or more. He went to prek-3 last year and that's what happened (he was 4 then).

However, starting this school year, I'm not going to push naps.  Only because he will start Kindergarden in 2012-2013 and it's an all day thing.  They have "quiet time" instead of naptime.  If he wants to take a nap, great. If not, I'm not going to fight him in taking one.  

BabyFruit TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers image image
  • PeskyPesky member
    She does but I would say about 60-70% of the time.  Naps for about 1 hr, maybe a tad more.  The other time she doesn't but I've told her it is quiet time and she can play quietly in her room.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• From age 3 to 4 it was very different.  There were a lot of changes in our family that year and for each change, there was a change in naps.  I was on maternity leave for awhile, went back to work, quit, went back to a different job, blah blah blah.  I feel like things are more stable now and he just turned 4 a few weeks ago.  He naps occasionally in the late afternoons in the car if we drive long enough.  Usually I am trying to go to the gym around 5 or 6 and he falls asleep on the way there (so maybe 20 minutes) and he wakes right back up when it is time to get out.  I'm actually concerned because they are supposed to have nap time at pre-k (he stars on Monday) in the afternoon and I highly doubt he will sleep. 
    Adrian 7.6.07 - ADHD, Disruptive Behavior Disorder, Learning Disability-NOS
    Cam 6.6.10 - Autism, Global Developmental Delay, Mixed Receptive/Expressive Communication Disorder
  • He sleeps every day for about 1 1/2 hours. He doesn't go to bed until about 10:00 at night and can sleep until about 8:30 every day. I love the fact that he still naps. We plan things to do in the morning and late afternoon so he can nap.
  • DS turned 4 in April. He naps 2-3 days a week. He has quiet/rest time every day in his bed. He has a CD that lasts 45min and he has to stay in his bed until his music stops. He falls asleep 2-3 days a week and sleeps 1-1.5hours.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • There is quiet time every day,  Sometimes it results in a nap and sometimes it doesn't.
  • DD is not quite four yet, but I answered because she stopped napping before she turned three.  Sometimes she falls asleep in the car when we drive to.from my ILs' house (about two hours), and if she does she bounces off the walls until 10 or 11 at night.  Usually she gets a solid 11-12 hours of sleep at night and stays up all day.
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • DD stopped napping at 2.5.  She will sometimes fall asleep in the car, but it is usually after a long day or if she's sick.
  • She will try to nap at 4 or 5 pm, which is not ideal.  We stopped actively trying to get her to nap at 2.5 b/c she was staying up until 10-11 pm most nights if she napped. 
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • DD1 is just now giving up her naps at 3 1/2. She'll occasionally nap if we have a super active morning, or if we're in the car in the afternoon, but for the most part she's done. :(

For us it was a gradual transition. She went from napping every day, to skipping once or twice a week when I was busy with the baby, to needing to limit naps to keep it from interfering with her bedtime. Now that she's not really napping she goes to bed without any fight and sleeps much better.

Emily 11.29.2007 | Kate 4.3.2010 | James 8.22.2013
  • He does at school but not when we are home.  His teachers always say that he is so good about napping......yeah, then DH and I have to deal with the 10pm bedtime because he is not tired.  Angry 

• KL777KL777 member
    DS only naps when he's been worn out (big play day/fun in the sun kind of thing).  Other than that, I make him do "quiet time" during his "nap time".

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• Rink08Rink08 member
    Yes- 1.5-2 hrs. otherwise he is a monster by bedtime. His normal routine is wake @6 am, nap @1:30-3/3:30, bed @8.
  • I don't have a 4 year old at the moment but my almost 3 1/2 year old still naps 99% of the time, every once in a while she will skip it at daycare.  My 5 year old still naps (about an hour max) about 50% of the time.  If she doesn't sleep, she still has quiet time and will lay in bed and just be mellow or look through books or read.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • at daycare, yes

at home, sometimes in the evenings (and generally it messes with bedtime or he goes to bed wayyyy early and gets up in the am at normal time) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yep, about 2hr per day...thank goodness! He needs it though, I have tried to cut back but then he is completely out of it by dinner time and really cranky!
  • DS is 3.5 and still naps at preschool and on the weekends. I asked his teacher and she said that most kids in their 3-4 year old class start the year napping but by the end of the year they aren't napping.

• She naps about 2 hours a day, sleeps about 10 hours a night. she has never, since infancy, been a good sleeper at night. 

if we are busy or out and about, she doesnt get a nap and she is fine. 

TTC #2 since June '08

~*DD 10.21.07*~

dx unexplained

IUI #1-4 BFN

IVF#1 June 2011 BFN

IVF#2 Dec 2011

Beta#1 12/21 : 812 Beta#2 12/23 : 1634

EDD 8/25

*PAIFW/SAIFW*

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards