Washington Babies
Options

Areas to move to around Olympia

Hello! I posted a little ways below, but I wanted to ask a few more questions. If you didn't read my post here is a little about DH, LO, and I (if you did read it, I am sorry for the repeat!)

DH and I are a young couple with a new baby boy and a dog! 

DH is moving to Olympia in September to get settled and find an apartment. He is looking for work in any of these areas: Childcare, remodeling and cabinetry, coaching, assembly, and restaruants.

We are looking for an apartment around the $600-700 price range (1 bedroom is fine for us at first) in a good family area that allows dogs over 50lbs (our weimaraner is 53 lbs...).

LO and I will be joining him in December once I graduate with my BA in Media Design. I would be looking for jobs in that field if possible! (Is Olympia good for Graphic Design?)

Do you have any tips or advice for living around Olympia?

Any neighborhoods/cities around there that you love? Or to avoid?

Would moving nearer to Seattle be better for a Graphic Design job? (It seems pricier over there)

Thank you so much and again I am sorry for the repeat! I definitely want any advice you can offer us. : ) 

EDIT: If you need me to clarify anything, I am happy to do that! : ) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Areas to move to around Olympia

• Options

I live in the Olympia area. I consider Lacey/Olympia/Tumwater/Yelm all part of that area. It's a great place to live and I know a few bumpies have relocated to this area. I know nothing about Graphic Design and have no idea what the job market is like around here, since most of my friends are military or law enforcement. I do know that contractors at JBLM (Joint Base Lewis McCord) make some good money.

• Options
    DH and I moved to WA in 2007 without jobs. It took us a few months before we found jobs in our field and this was BEFORE the economy tanked (we are both college educated as well). I just wanted to say that it may be more difficult to find employment than you might think. I hope you have a good amount in your savings account. I don't think DH and I will ever move again without at least one of us already having a job lined up. That being said, I would recommend moving to the Tacoma area/suburbs so you can widen your job search. You can commute to Seattle and Olympia from that location (even though they would be semi-long commutes.) Good luck!

Photobucket  image
    Married: December 2005 ~ Started TTC: December 2008 ~ DH: 33, Me: 30
    Diagnosis: severe MFI, late ovulation, short LP, DOR
    Only option is IVF/ICIS. Waited several years before treatment because we're OOP.
    IVF/ICIS #1 in June 2012 (Protocol: Long Lupron). Stims: 6/17/12, ER: 6/30/12 (6R, 5M, 4F), ET: 7/5/12 (1 4AA embryo transferred, 0 made it to freeze) ~ Beta#1: 7/14/12 - 55, Beta#2: 7/16/12 - 100, Beta#3: 7/18/12 - 199 ~ Limbo for weeks, finally confirmed pregnancy not viable: 8/13/12 ~ D&C: 8/17/12 
    Varicocele Surgery: October 2012 (long break to wait for results, no change) 
    Changed clinics: February 2013 
    IVF/ICIS Attempt #2 in April 2013 (Protocol: Antagonist). Stims: 4/12/13, Cycle Cancelled: 4/17/13 for poor follicle response and low E2 rise. 
    IVF/ICIS Attempt #3 in May 2013 (Protocol: LEAP) Cycle Cancelled: 5/20/13 at suppression check due to cyst
    IVF/ICIS Attempt #4 in July 2013 (Protocol: LEAP). Stims: 7/20/13, ER: 8/1/13 (12R, 11M, 9F), ET: 8/6/13 (3 fair embryos transferred, 0 made it to freeze) ~ Beta#1: 8/15/13 - 86, Beta#2: 8/18/13 - 390.6, Ultrasound: 9/3/13 - TWO HEARTBEATS! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you for the advice! 
  • Options
    Lacey and Tumwater tend to be cheaper than Olympia. We currently live on the Westside of Olympia. I also consider Lacey/Tumwater/and Olympia to be one place. I'm originally from Portland. It just depends where you you want to live. =D
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options

I'm afraid that I have no information for you.  In fact, my DH and DS and I are about to be in a simiar situation.  We are moving in with a friend who is in Lacey.  We had the chance to visit for a week and it seems like a lovely place.  I don't know how the job situation is but my DH has got a couple of employers interested in him as he does some specialty phone system work.

Good luck to you and maybe we will run into each other once we both make our moves!

• Options
    imageCheriemimi:

I'm afraid that I have no information for you.  In fact, my DH and DS and I are about to be in a simiar situation.  We are moving in with a friend who is in Lacey.  We had the chance to visit for a week and it seems like a lovely place.  I don't know how the job situation is but my DH has got a couple of employers interested in him as he does some specialty phone system work.

Good luck to you and maybe we will run into each other once we both make our moves!

Where are you moving from? It's a bit scary to move so far, but I am excited to live in WA! : ) I hope we run into each other!  

• Options

Hi! DH and I have lived in the Olympia area for the past 5 years. We first lived on the Westside of Olympia. The westside is nice and convenient, however is too expensive and you dont get your money's worth. We just bought a house in Hawks Prairie (it is North Lacey) It is great for us because it is 25 Mins from Olympia (where I work) and 30 Mins from Tacoma (where DH works) the prices are more reasonable here and they are more family oriented.

Since you are in a media field, I would avoid Tumwater, if you end up working in Tacoma, your drive will be LONG!

Hope this Helps!

Kelsie

• Options
    We are moving from Boise, as soon as DH can get one of the jobs he has applied for.  It is scary but I am hoping it will be a better place to raise a child than this is - no offence to anyone who likes Idaho.  It just lacks the diversity I am used to.  I am definately excited and I just hope we can get this going ASAP!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"