TTC After a Loss
Options

Does hcg have to drop to 0 in order to ovulate?

My doctor is not following my hcg levels post m/c- she's actually out on maternity leave and I won't see her for another two weeks.  Anyway, I think I'm getting ready to ovulate and was wondering if that means my hcg is back to 0.  Should I take a hpt to see if the hcg is gone or does it really matter?  I've never used opk's before but I'm going to go get some this evening.  TIA for any insight.

Re: Does hcg have to drop to 0 in order to ovulate?

• Options
    I would take an HPT just to make sure all (or most) of the HCG is gone from your system. If you take an OPK and still have HCG it will be + no matter if you're O'ing or not. Most of the time you don't O untill your levels are at 0, but there have been a couple ladies on here who have O'ed with a small amount left. So, anything's possible.
    photo e9455f4d-9751-469e-a19f-460104cd2e5c.jpg photo jan15.jpg
    BFP #1 5/20/10 Natural MC at 5w4d 5/28/10
    BFP #2 11/3/10; BO at u/s 10w6d 12/16/10; Natural MC 1/7/11; D&C 4/21/11
    BFP #3 10/27/11 Please stick, LO!! 2/6/12 It's a Girl! Alexis Grace born 6/29/12
    BFP#4 4/27/14 Stick, stick, stick!! 8/11/14 It's a Boy! Evan Wesley born 1/8/15
    "Patience is waiting. Not passively waiting. That is laziness. But to keep going when the going is hard and slow, that is patience."  Let it Be (blog)My BFP Charts
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    This time I'm not leaving without you.
  • Options
    I O'd three days after my level was a 3.  An OPK will be positive due to HCG, but I don't know the cut-off level for the test.
    3 ectopic pregnancies (EDD's 1/30/12-tube removed, 6/2/12-methotrexate and 10/2/12-methotrexate)
    IVF and Natural FET resulted in BFN's and a hole in our wallets
    Natural BFP #4 on 9/7/12 gave us our miracle on 5/18/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It is possible to O before HCG is down to zero. You can take an HPT and if there is any left it will come up positive. I got positives until 5 weeks post D&C. Also, if you do have any HCG left in your system, it can cause an OPK to show up positive, too. It stinks when your post m/c because often, you have no idea what your body is doing and can't get back on track until you have your first AF. At least, that's how it's been with me so far.
    First BFP April 2011, EDD 01/11/11, MMC June 20, 2011 D&C June 20, 2011 Second BFP September 23, 20011 CP diagnosed September 26, 2011 PAL/PGAL welcome
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    so being that my ovulation kit is a negative does that mean my hcg is back at zero?
  • Options
    Okay, so I took one of each.  The HPT has a faint positive, and the OPK has a test line that's almost but not quite as dark as the control, so negative.  But I'm having a good bit of EWCM, which would typically mean I'm about to ovulate.  I have no idea what's going on! 
  • Options

You can definitely O even if your HCG levels are still hanging on.  I have always O-ed my first cycle after m/c and my betas are usually still positive until a week or so after first AF.  

Having a negative OPK does not mean HCG is negative.  It means there is not enough LH to indicate ovulation.   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"