South Florida Babies
Options

MMR Vaccine - delayed schedules ?

I'm following a delayed schedule for Elise's shots.  She's going to be with grandma until pre-K or Kg anyway, so she's not exposed to that many people or kids.  So, I wanted to do the MMR separately, but pedi just informed me that it's not possible anymore bc it's not manufactured that way anymore. She said we coild delay them until 18 months.

If you delayed the vaccines, how did you handle the MMR?  Can I delay it more than 18 months?

Re: MMR Vaccine - delayed schedules ?

• Options

I had a discussion with J's pedi on Monday about this at his 12 month appointment since he was scheduled for the first part of his MMR vacc. that day. He has been on a delayed schedule since birth so I wasn't sure how it would work now. I talked to him about all my concerns etc. and he gave me lots of information. They also have little laminated sheets in there with all the info on the shot for parent education purposes.

That being said, we decided to give him the vacc.. J will be staying home as well so that's why some of his early shots (like Hep B) were delayed more than usual. BUT since we do take him out to places on the weekends where he is interacting with other kids, we decided not to risk it. It's a really scary thought knowing how many parents choose not to ever vaccinate their kids until they start school. 

There used to be ways you could split the vaccine but that's no longer an option. I have read of mom's not giving their children that vaccine until they are after the age of 3 but, a lot of Pedi's are refusing to see children who are not fully vaccinated.  

TTC #1 May/June 2008
    CP 7.19.08
    Dx with PCOS 3.27.09
    HSG 7.15.09 = All clear
    8.09 & 9.09(re-try) IUI #1/2 - Clomid 100mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel=cancelled due to cysts
    10.09 IUI #1/2 - Clomid 100mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel Crinone 8%=BFP!
    22mm Follie / 60mil & 48mil post wash counts Beta #1 (14dpiui)= 102 Beta #2 (18dpiui)= 714 12.3.09 HB 135bpm

Our baby boy was born on 7.8.10 @ 38 weeks 2 days! 2:17pm 6lbs 8oz 20" long
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    TTC #2
    HSG 2.2013 - IUI 1/2, 3/4 = BFN - Took 4 month forced break
    IUI 5/6 Clomid 150mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel ( 11 & 15 mil post wash counts) = 2ww
  • Options

We delayed vaccines with both kids (Dr. Sears' Alternative Schedule). Owen is right on track with it, but Quinn has fallen really behind due to a lot of illnesses that prevented him from getting vaccines at a certain time. That being said, he still hasn't had MMR at 3.5yr and I'm ok with that for now. He will probably get it before he's 4. My pediatrician is supportive of alternate vaccine schedules -- one of the reasons why I chose them.

Good luck with your decision.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Valentina just got her MMR and a couple of others about three weeks ago. She was super delayed because she had been sick for a while..
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I just found this:  https://www.askdrsears.com/topics/vaccines/separated-measles-mumps-rubella-vaccine-return-2011

So, I will talk to my pedi about giving them separately.

• Options
    imageMrsJOSEnADRI:

I just found this:  https://www.askdrsears.com/topics/vaccines/separated-measles-mumps-rubella-vaccine-return-2011

So, I will talk to my pedi about giving them separately.

Yes, Merck used to do that but as of this year or last year they stopped making it separately. That's why I mentioned above that there's no way of splitting it anymore. :(  

You can find the update article on the same site here: https://www.askdrsears.com/topics/vaccines/separate-measles-mumps-and-rubella-vaccines-no-longer-available-what-can-parents-do 

TTC #1 May/June 2008
    CP 7.19.08
    Dx with PCOS 3.27.09
    HSG 7.15.09 = All clear
    8.09 & 9.09(re-try) IUI #1/2 - Clomid 100mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel=cancelled due to cysts
    10.09 IUI #1/2 - Clomid 100mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel Crinone 8%=BFP!
    22mm Follie / 60mil & 48mil post wash counts Beta #1 (14dpiui)= 102 Beta #2 (18dpiui)= 714 12.3.09 HB 135bpm

Our baby boy was born on 7.8.10 @ 38 weeks 2 days! 2:17pm 6lbs 8oz 20" long
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    TTC #2
    HSG 2.2013 - IUI 1/2, 3/4 = BFN - Took 4 month forced break
    IUI 5/6 Clomid 150mg Follistim 150iu Ovidrel ( 11 & 15 mil post wash counts) = 2ww
  • Options

You might still be able to find them. Get some numbers of pharmacies and call around.

To me it's more scary to give my child all those shots at once than actually NOT vaccinating them!

• Options
    We also found another article on Dr. Sears' website with tips on how to get it separately.  We will look around or delay until she starts pre-school.
  • Options

Our pedi told us that he could not get the vaccines separately (they don't make them like that or it's hard to get-  I can't remember now which was his reason). We did delay a bit until Nico was 18 months. We were pretty comfortable with that.

If you are concerned for whatever reason, express to your pedi and I'm sure she can work some kind of schedule with you or at least give you more info. good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"