Childless not by choice

Pregnancy after Leukemia/Transplant

Hi everyone,

I am 28 years old and since June 2009 have been battling Acute Myeloid Leukemia. In August 2010, I had an unrelated stem cell transplant, and am about to celebrate my 1 year transplant anniversary!! 

I still on a lot of medications (32 pills a day... but no chemo/radiation anymore). My oncologist has told my DH and I that I could skip my Depo shot now and try to resume having a family (I was 7 weeks pregnant when diagnosed and had to terminate my pregnancy).  I am really nervous about this (still in that stage of a headache must = a brain tumor) but I'd love to stop taking my shot and let it get out of my system, and hopefully still be fertile... I have about a 20% chance that the transplant didn't make me infertile. 

Does anyone have suggestions or thoughts on this? It's exciting and scary at the same time... My DH and I prayed so hard for a baby, and we've fought so long these last few years. Hopefully this is the appropriate board for me! If it isn't, please direct me to a more appropriate board :)

Nice to meet everyone!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Pregnancy after Leukemia/Transplant

• I hope you don't mind me responding.  I just wanted to tell you that there are a few ladies on the Infertility (IF) and IF Veterans board, along with the Success after IF or Pregnant after IF who have gone on to get pregnant while in remission from various cancers or other chronic illnesses.

I wish you the very, very best in your journey to start a family!!!!

• I don't mind at all!! I will definitely check those other boards :) I wasn't sure which board would be best, so I appreciate the direction!

Thanks for the well wishes, I wish you the best on your upcoming arrival! :)

• Loading the player...
  • imageJ+R:

I don't mind at all!! I will definitely check those other boards :) I wasn't sure which board would be best, so I appreciate the direction!

Thanks for the well wishes, I wish you the best on your upcoming arrival! :)

***Siggy Pic***

I'm so glad you are doing well and could start TTC soon! I've been thinking about you. If you are planning on TTC maybe another board would be better for you. I would say IF or TTCAL (where I am) since you did lose a baby. TTCAL has ladies dealing with IF as well. Good luck to you!

• Thanks Sabrina :) Miss seeing you on the BF board. I hope that everything is going well with you also!
  • Totally lurking on this board, but wanted to tell you my experience...

I used to work as a NP for liver/kidney transplant patients. I had a liver recipient ask me one day during an office visit if she could try to get pregnant. I think she was 34 or 35. Anyway, we sent her for a few consults, changed some meds, and gave her the OK. She got pregnant the first month! I remember being so shocked when she called to tell me, b/c I had been TTC myself for over 7 months, and here she was, w/ all the odds against her, pregnant in no time!

I know hers is a completely different situation from yours, but wanted you to know that you may be pleasantly surprised! GL to you!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I just wanted to tell you I admire all of your courage. You and your FI have lived through the worst. I will pray for you. I hope you have a miracle baby :)
  • I understand how you feel.  I had a liver transplant at age 23 in September 2010.  I want a family so bad but the medications I"m on are not safe for a baby.  We're waiting and hoping someday along the line we'll be able to have a family.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"