Houston Babies
Options

stinky lunch box?

My kids lunch boxes always smell.  I was them with soap and water every use, but they just stink.  The school puts some of the open food back in the box (they are soft sided) and sometimes milk will leak.  I've tried sun drying, machine washing, bleach...  and they still stink!  Anyone else have this issue?  I bought new lunch bags and they stink again within 2-3 weeks.

Re: stinky lunch box?

• Options
    I make certain that once it is emptied and cleaned it is left opened to air out. 
    image Oh Joy to the World!!
  • Options
    We're getting Mar a new lunch box for that very reason - www.getyubo.com - the whole thing can be put in the dishwasher
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The ones at the website Kat posted above are really neat.  You may have to switch to a hard case.  I can see the soft ones not drying out all the way and getting mildewy.
  • Options

imagekat.in.the.hat:
    We're getting Mar a new lunch box for that very reason - www.getyubo.com - the whole thing can be put in the dishwasher

I love those. I am going to have to measure T's when he gets home to see if the Yubos are big enough. I'm already too deep in to  Lunchbots to buy a box they won't fit in.

• Options
    Try a fabric softener sheet. Just place it in when not using the bag and leave closed.I replace K's every school year because after 9 months it's just grody. But the fabric softener trick works in the meantime.Also, you could try putting a small box of baking soda in each and close them...leave them for a weekend and see if that absorbs the odor.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Try a fabric softener sheet. Just place it in when not using the bag and leave closed.I replace K's every school year because after 9 months it's just grody. But the fabric softener trick works in the meantime.Also, you could try putting a small box of baking soda in each and close them...leave them for a weekend and see if that absorbs the odor.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Can you ask them to stop putting the open food in there? That would drive me crazy. We get some spills, but not every day.

DS has a thermos brand lunch tote and I like that I can pull the liner out so I can get into the crevices. A little baking soda and it's good. His new one has a removable liner but I don't know how well that will hold up (I bought it for cute factor, not durability)

If your kids are in daycare everyday, do you think it would help to have 2 bags each to rotate between? So that the bag could dry completely between uses. 

- Jena
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"